marksharp

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
Last Saturday was my first full day riding with a Revloc clutch installed. I've made several mods to my 220, FMF pipe and silencer,V force reeds, MX tech suspension, airbox etc, but this Revloc is magic. I rode, longer, faster and with less fatigue than ever before. We rode St. Joes state park, rocks, hills, mud holes, some tight, some faster two track. You simply concentrate on finding your line and going there. Throttle control is all you need, and be approximately in the right gear. If you're a gear too high, don't give it a thought, just twist and go, the clutch slips smoothly and keeps the power coming. Stop in 2nd gear and idle, then twist the throttle and take off, or pop it and wheelie away. If I'd have had this 20 years ago when I raced I might have a been pretty good. Anyway, the bottom line is, it was some of the most fun riding I've done in quite a while. It's not cheap, but if you can swing it, you'll be glad you did.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
What's a REVLOC? Like an automatic clutch? Wouldn't that cause a lot of clutch wear? Got a link???

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I've never understood why there would be any advantage to the revloc. Never ridden one, either.

Is there any point at which the change from 'slip' to 'hook-up' is a problem? If it hooks up too hard, isn't there a loop possibility? They advertise 'smooth'..but is that so?

How about shifting? No more difficult that shifting with NO clutch I presume?

I don't use my clutch for much of anything but stopping/starting.

What if you stall your bike say in 3rd gear? How well does it downshift?

Or...if you stall in 3rd gear on a downhill...how does that work? Guess if the revloc worked, you wouldn't ever have that happen?

Thanks for the input! I'd appreciate reading anything more you have to say about it.

re: link

Put 'revloc' in google.com

Last edited:

marksharp

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
canyncarvr

Actually the transistion from slip to lock up seamless. I never feel the change over. You have to remember that the power transfer is nearly all controlled by throttle control. At idle it simply idles as if it's in neutral, but as soon as you begin to add rpms it starts to pull. If you increase very gradually, it moves like someone is gently pulling you with a rope. The more rapid the rpm's build the more rapid the acceleration including lifting the front wheel. It remains locked even down hill if the rpm's are up , and when they fall below the engagement level it free wheels. So if you are going down a nasty rocky rutted down hill, and lock the back wheel momentarily, the engine has already diengaged and the engine is still running. No dead engine, bump start attempt and accrobatics to stay upright. Just blip the throttle to engage, or wait till you reach the bottom then dial it on and ride away.
Shifting is business as usual, I never used the clutch to shift once I was underway before, so no change there. If you found yourself in a bogged down situation in 3rd gear, simply let off of the throttle, downshift and go. 2nd gear starts are really more comfortable now than 1st gear except for a very tight situation. I run a 13/50 drive ration, my buddy runs the stock 13/48 and he uses the 2nd gear start as well. You're up to speed faster with one less shift to make. I'm starting to get lengthy here, but simply put, it always allows the perfect amount of slip and hooks up as soon as possible for the most traction available. You have to ride one to understand the feeling. That's what I did, and that's why I put one on my bike.

McRider

Jan 25, 2000
I like the concept of the Revloc. I also own a quad with an automatic clutch and I assume the Revloc would work pretty much the same. But the cost is just way too prohibitive. Not going to happen for me.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I remember my first exposure to clutching and shifting was on a dirtbike. It is part of the experiance. You might as well sell your bike and get a quad with automatic if that is the way you are heading.
P.S. I'm joking and having fun here.

Last edited:

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
if you think shifting and clutching are a mandatory part of off road riding, or that someone with an auto clutch is too lazy, you better make sure you've never done ANY mod to your bike to make it better.

never upgraded brakes? bars? rims? triple clamps? reeds?

and thinking that those of us with them are lazy, well, I invite any of those with that opinion to show up at the next enduro and see how lazy people with auto clutches are.

hey skipro3, your statement is completely crap. you say you've done lot's of mods to your bike?

any of them make it easier to ride? let you go faster?

no...of course not, you're not that lazy.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
To some degree I understand wanting to use the clutch - or at least mastering their purpose, however if you ride single track, miss a shift and stall half way up a hill, restart and... we've all been there! My philosophy is no stall=enjoyment and in the end I'm 3 corners away by the time you restart,etc while spending more time on the trail and getting more out of my ride.
Maybe lazy or what ever, but as wsmc831 mentioned - how many of us have improved our bikes to gain more/better ride! :yeehaw:

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I rode a cannondale e440 with and without the EMF auto clutch, the bike was magic in stock form, but with the auto clutch it was heaven! you still have to shift the bike, but in nasty sections you dont have to worry about stalling or sliping the rear tire. You can be riding in 4th and simply hit the brakes and the bike stops and is sitting there idleing for you!!! in slow snotty technical uphills, you simply put it in a gear, and give it gas and go... no alternating gas, clutch, gas, clutch etc. It truly made a great bike into a near-perfect bike.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
With 30 years of riding experience, all of it with a clutch, I too think that the clutch (and the kick starter for that matter) is part of the riding experience. I enjoy riding because it is something that takes skill and practice to do well. For me, eliminating the clutch would reduce some of the pleasure of riding.

I’m sure that the revloc is an excellent modification, but it isn’t for everyone.

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
RV6Junkie - Didn't you just take a spin on my KTM with E-start ? ;)

I agree with you that riding with the clutch and kick starting is part of the fun, but I do see great a great advantage to the REVLOC application. It can be used by novice riders and experienced alike. From what I've read you can still pop the clutch at higher RPM's for a quick take off and it certainly would benefit me for my kids to have it and an e-start on their bikes. :whiner:

Learning the right gear is important as it goes to making a smarter rider but having arm pump and being fatigued from kickstarting every time you stall takes away from the thrill and enjoyment of tackling the trails.

When they get the REVLOC or EFM for the XR100, I may look in to it for the daughter.

My 2 cents.

See you Memorial weekend RV. :yeehaw:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
To wsmc831:
For someone who uses the United Nations Peace Keeping flag as your country or origion, you sure have a lot of anger directed at me in your post. Modifications to make performance enhancements are my goal. Modifications to make the bike into a barkalounger doesn't interest me.
never upgraded brakes? bars? rims? triple clamps? reeds?
None of these mods further remove me from being the pilot, relinquish control to automation, and I'm still the one making the decisions. One of the main reasons for riding 2 wheels is that:
A: It takes a certian amount of skill just to get the thing moving.
B: It takes a great amount of skill to get it moving fast.
You remove much of the interaction with your bike when you choose to eliminate/automate control of certian aspects of riding. Personally, I don't think an autoshifter should be legal for enduro racing except in the E class or you are able to show proof of a handicap. Flying Scot stated it well when he pointed out that he may look into it for his daughter as this is best served for those without the skills and muscle coordination to master a clutch and gearbox. My son's first dirtbike was a YZ60. He learned to clutch and shift at 7 years old. I suggest that Flying Scot allow his daugther to master the clutch, then if she wants, go to a REVLOC.
hey skipro3, your statement is completely crap.
Not only is my statement completely crap, but I am so full of crap, I hurt.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Anyway, relax. I'm joking and having fun. Anything that gets folks out of the house and into the woods is fine by me. :laugh:

Last edited:

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
actually, I find it funny, because the un flag is the default, yet people get into a fit thinking it means something because I haven't bothered to change it.

make any assumptions about me you want because of where I live,

though it's natural, we've got such a huge french community around here.

ever been here?

didn't think so.

if you really are having fun, try to convey it a bit more, you really made it seem like you were putting people down for buying a revloc.

ride with one, you might like it.

btw, I'm not FROM california..just here making lots of money for a few years...and find it funny how people from other area's of the country stereo type the area.

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
Here we go.

Skipro3, your son is your son. My daughter is different. I agree that learning to clutch and shift is important. I've driven stick all my life. My wife learned stick when she lived inScotland for 3 years with me and has no problem with it.

Unfortunately all people do not come from the same mold. My daughter enjoys riding and as tentative as she is, if it is made to complicated and difficult she will go completely off. Everyone has different abilities and to restrict ones abilities to ride because they don't have the strength or co-ordination to time the shift early on is as discouraging as chastising a child for not making an effort when it gets tough.

Let them learn at their INDIVIDUAL pace and they will love it forever.

Do not presume your son at seven year's old is an example to be used around the world. My son ( 7 ) has the same eagerness and abilities and adapts quickly to all new physical and mental challenges. My daughter on the other hand thinks that riding is cool and a great day out spending time with her dad.

Yes, she will learn the clutch and understand the importance of trying and understanding but no I will not teach her there are no options in life. No quitters, just try your best and enjoy what you are doing within the ability you have and if you feel ready you can try something that you think is hard.

Oh and since this is a revloc is magic thread. Yes it has many advantages over a regular clutch according to the manufacturer.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Geees Scot, just chill. Read my post in this regard again: "I suggest that Flying Scot allow his daugther to master the clutch, then if she wants, go to a REVLOC." See, just a suggestion based on your post, "When they get the REVLOC or EFM for the XR100, I may look in to it for the daughter."

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
Sorry I woke you. I just wanted some fun in return. A little rebuff is good for the soul. Remember ' I may look at it '

Actually, I had her throttle grip casing modified so that she can get used to the additional power the XR100 has and in case she drops the clutch she won't loop it. Basically I had a an adjustable throttle stop made to keep the power down until she is more familiar with clutch, gear, throttle, clutch. It won't take long but it is better than a major fright until she is ready for the power and the comfrot level of a Big bike compared to an xr70.

Still learn at her pace and when she isn't looking I will tweak it up a bit. :thumb:

Revloc is a great piece of machinery. ( carrying on the revloc thread )

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz, Huhhhhhhhhh?//????????????What!!!???????
For my son, I installed two head gaskets, thereby reducing compression and power until he could handle it. That thing in 5th WOT was FAST!!! You won't be sorry she is learning to shift. Even if she prefers the revloc, it will always be something that she will always have. Maybe she will teach your son when he starts riding. Now there is progress.

Anyone know why that REVLOC needs to cost almost a grand?

Last edited:

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Does anyone know if auto-clutches are allowed in GNCC/AMA Hare Scrambles/etc.? Even though the Pro's are the last ones to need help in manipulating a clutch in tight conditions, if there is a chance they could shave a few seconds/lap in nasty conditions, it's a done deal.

Unless they are illegal, I'd expect to start seeing the first line at the GNCC's start filling up with Rev-Locs and EFM's :aj:

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
He already rides - KLX110, had a PW50 last year. He is the one that showed an interest first and after seeing how much fun he was having my daughter wanted to get involved too. I always believe that if you want to try something go ahead, just don't try and quit after five minutes give it a chance and really get it out of your system if it's not for you.

I thought I read somewhere about another automatic clutch that is used in Europe, I think it is made by a French company. :thumb:

Last edited:

mudwalker

Mar 26, 2003
After riding this weekend with my buddy - WR250F, I can see how this would be an improvement. You should see the sole of his riding boot from starting this thing. Or should I say lack of sole. When stalled this bike is a bear to start! He wants a revlock. I stall, and dump my bike all the time, she always starts and has never embarassed me.
A cool mod no doubt, but to rich for my needs.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom