Lostrider

Jan 21, 2002
After a helmet what is the most important piece of safety gear? I have helmets for my kids (3) I'm on a limited budget so whats next?? Boots? Chest protector? What do you think? They are all under 12 years old.

yzracer49

Mar 19, 2000
Boots are right up ther with a helmet. I assume the have a pair of googles to go with thier hats? Next would be knee pads and a chest protector. Another cheap item would be gloves.

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
yeah.. boots. when they run over sticks and rocks, their feet and legs are going to get hit, it hurts, sometimes A LOT.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Boots, goggles, gloves are nice, but you can make due with old ones, knee pads (rollerblading ones work great) possibly elbow pads, maybe a chest protector but not necessary. Boots and goggles are a MUST.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
What riding do you do? i.e. mx, trail or what? What sort of bikes do they have?
Gloves & goggles are cheap(ish), so easier to get all 3 at once. If any of the kids are on quads, boots won't be as important at that stage (with trail riding, not as easy to hit stumps or get the foot stuck in the rear wheel). It really does depend what sort of riding you do though.
Keep an eye on the for sale forum as I've seen kids' stuff come up sometimes (be quick, it sells quick enough or maybe place a post there yourself).

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I agree with boots. If your kids are doing basic trail riding and not jumping and getting wild you might get by without them. Make them wear sturdy boots and knee/shin pads. Goggles are an absolute must. I personally think goggles and helmets should be sold as one unit. If you can't see, you can't dodge trees and rocks.

Top Bottom