Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Keep fightin the 2-stroke war boys...

bordrshane

Dec 13, 2005
Brrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaap

I sold my 4 strokes before I went to college. They were the best bikes I ever had. They wouldnt break as long as maintenence was performed regularly. (yamahas) I just so happened to come up on a newer blown up yz125 for 500 bucks. I couldnt pass it up. Still had origional front tire, sprockets, etc. Reason it was blown up was because the duffus had it jetted for Colorado and rode it in the California desert. I bought a new cylinder, had it ported, head milled, rejeted, pipe and silenser. It rips, sounds sweet, and the smell of premix and race gas is the greatest. I missed the sound of a wound out 125 for the last couple years. If you havnt ridden one for a while, give it a whirl. I bet alot of teenagers or people new to riding probably wouldnt be able to ride one. (compared to their 4-banger) Heck, I used to be different before I had yamahas, ha, I used to ride Kawasakis.

Rider 007

Feb 10, 2000
Okiewan said:
Keep fightin the 2-stroke war boys...

There is no war to fight. Just like Nam, it ended over 3 decades ago.

CC for CC the 2-stoke is the ultimate dirt bike powerplant.

It produces way more HP per unit of displacement than a thumper.

It is significantly lighter than a thumper.

It is mechanically simpler than a thumper.

It is easier to work on than a thumper.

I could go on...

Doesn't sound much like a war, more like a good butt-waxing. :nod:

You gotta have some ammo to even start a war.

But hey, there is a market for everything - mopeds, chia pets, thumpers, Suzuki's....

:nener:

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
rodH said:
btw, who out there can just make a blanket statement that 2 strokes suck? .

I can, 2-strokes suck; as do 4-strokes. All bikes suck; they suck air (and fuel...). If they did not suck they would not run.

So, can everyone agree all our bikes suck and go ride???? :ride:

Rider 007

Feb 10, 2000
DLHamblin said:
I can, 2-strokes suck; as do 4-strokes. All bikes suck; they suck air (and fuel...). If they did not suck they would not run.

Amen! :cool:

DLHamblin said:
So, can everyone agree all our bikes suck and go ride???? :ride:

That depends on whether the rider sucks... :nod:

PS: Thumpers suck more... check the vacuum gauge. :)

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
I checked the guage - by golly your right - scientific proof that thumpers suck more !

Now can we all go riding !

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Engines don't SUCK in air or fuel. ;)

When a pressure differential exists in the carb venturi atmospheric pressure PUSHES fuel in through the jets (it's why your carb vent tubes are so critical, they provide the PUSH).

When a pressure differential exists between the cylinder and the pressure outside of it will try to equalize the pressures. Usually with lower pressure in the cylinder air is PUSHed into the engine, but sometimes it goes in the other direction (exh blowdown for instance).

You may now all return to your "my strokes are better than your strokes" ranting. :)

Last edited:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
scientifically, does my hoover suck , or is it atmospheric peer pressure on the dustbunnies that cause them to jump into the ever so trendy bagless dust cup :laugh:

Rider 007

Feb 10, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
Engines don't SUCK in air or fuel. ;)

You say potato... ;)

Sounds like one of those geek arguments I used to hear in the ASME lounge at school years ago (I DON'T suck... I merely create a low pressure condition).
And "you suck" is so much more efficient than "you are the recipient of a higher pressure source exerting itself on you". :laugh:

Now, where were we? Oh yeah, "thumpers PUSH"! :yeehaw:

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
Actually the air is being drawn onto the cylinder by the increased volume due to the cushflugina attached to the wang bang moving to an a gravitationally advantaged position ( unless its a free styler doing a back flip in which the inverse of the root mean ...... ) :blah:

In laymans terms ( and most motorcylist ) it sucks air - and I checked my guage - the thumper sucks ( in laymans terms ) more than a 2-stroke. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom