mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
i had a wreck saturday i probably have a class II separation. did this about 10 years ago and i remember the feeling so i didn't go see the dr. but i can't remember how long i need to wait before i start rehab. do i wait until it stops hurting or just fight through it and start now?

anyone done this lately?

thanks

sigar

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2000
I got a class 3 separation at the end of April. I'm real up to speed on these. I can tell you what to do for a class 3, and you can decide to do it or less. Wear a AC splint, or other immobilization device for 4-6 weeks. 6-8 weeks start light therapy. Best to use a theraband (basically a big rubberband). It's too hard to explain the type of movements to do so I can scan the sheet the Dr. gave me and email it to you if you like. The important thing is not to do any overhead movements. They say to resume activity in 10-12 weeks. I started riding again at 10 weeks, I have been pretty much taking it easy, although I have had some minor get offs. It has been about 17 weeks now, and I still can't sleep on my right/injured side, and it's a little sore after riding. The doc says it will take anywhere from 6 months to 1 year to completely heal. And since the anatomy is different now (the clavicle sits above the acromion vs. flush with it) he can't say whether the joint will be as strong as before. They say arthritis later in life is a sure thing. The best part about this is I used to ride almost 100% MX, but when I started riding again I wanted to take it easy so I started woods riding. I love tight singletrack. I probably won't check this post again, so if you want the exercise sheet drop me a line at carlo@gotnet.net or if you have any more questions, I really studied up on this stuff but can't go into it all here.

MXN4FUN

Jul 7, 2000
I had a third degree AC seperation. Took me four days to go to the doc. Then I started my own rehab. Ibuprofen and ice at night and construction work during the day. First week I slacked a bit but went back to trying to do everything the next. Took about three weeks off from riding and swam a mile every morning at the YMCA. Now my shoulder is fine but an inch and a half lower. Other then shirts hanging to one side no problems. This was three years ago. The ligaments I tore weren't going to heal themselves so I just built up the muscles by swimming.

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
I injured mine in the mammoth motocross a couple years ago. Since then I have probably dislocated it about 20 times. Anyone have surgury? I am thinking that my problem is not going to change...it pops out when I open my sliding window in the back of my truck while I am driving(reaching back).

I have my own technique to get it back in. Bend over twist right arm to the left and pull and usually it snaps back into place. The pain doesn't last as long as it did when I first hurt it but still is uncomfortable.

I use an EVS sholder brace after riding for some extra support. The brace isn't a God send but does ease a little pressure.

If anyone has had surgury please respond with your expierence, down time and pain involved.

Hang in there...Mprest4

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Hmm. Endosports, sounds like you have a dislocated shoulder, which is different than a separated shoulder.

I'm in the process of recovering from a Class I-II separation. It occurred about 5 weeks ago. I have most of my mobility back, but there are a couple positions (arm behind the back) that are still sore, and I'm still not comfortable sleeping/lying on my right side.

After going to the ER and getting X-Rays to make sure I didn't break anything, I saw an orthopedist 3 days after it occurred. There was a lot of bruising and redness, and I couldn't lift my arm. There was no protrusion or lifting of the shoulder, which made the Dr. think it was a class 1 or 2. (Pain tells me it was a class 2!) He said I could wear a sling, but didn't really need to. Gave me some Vioxx to keep the inflammation down, and just said to take it easy-- no lifting for a couple weeks. Then, play it by ear as far as riding again. I rode an enduro a couple weeks ago, and could tell my shoulder was sore at the end of the day, but it didn't bother me too much while out on the trail.

My advice would be to give yours at least a week, to let the swelling and pain go down, and then try some light exercises/stretching (depending on pain tolerance). It took me a week before I could even wash my hair by myself again, and it was two weeks before I started feeling more "normal".

Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
Originally posted by endosports
I injured mine in the mammoth motocross a couple years ago. Since then I have probably dislocated it about 20 times. Anyone have surgury? I am thinking that my problem is not going to change...it pops out when I open my sliding window in the back of my truck while I am driving(reaching back).

If anyone has had surgury please respond with your expierence, down time and pain involved.

Hang in there...Mprest4

I had surgery 3 weeks ago for a dislocated shoulder. Turns out my labrum got detached so everthing was loose. My shoulder would pop out easily like you describe. It got fixed by arthroscopic surgery. The wost part is you have to keep it immobile for 4 weeks afterwards. The pain wasn't bad, only took the prescription pain killers for two days then switched to aleve. We'll see about the pain during PT though.

One more week to go in the sling, then start PT.
The doc said 4 months to total recovery, hoping to ride befoe that.

I can post updates if you are interested.

scotts250

Jul 30, 2001
Can't say that I have seperated a shoulder, but I have dislocated both at one time or another.
The right one got so bad over many years, that I could hardly lift anything over my head with my arm straight.
Finally got an MRI and my ortho said torn rotator cuff and some bursa damage or something like that.
Once they went in arthroscopic, he found all four muscles of the rotator cuff were torn, 2 completly detached from the bone, but was able to fix everything by making several more incisions and doing it artho instead of laying me open. The healing time is much shorter, and less scar tissue.
The left one doesn't come out too easy and only hurts when I try to lift above my head so I have been keeping on it with the excersises they gave me during P.T. for my other shoulder. But I still have soreness when I move it certain ways.

mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
lori ktm - that is just what i wanted to hear. i have pretty good mobility right now which is only about 5 day after the wreck. i had a class II in college and this one doesn't feel as bad. sounds like 3 weeks off and then BACK ON!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Lori is exactly right. I just got off a Class II separation. The Dr. said to not lift it above my head and see him in 4 weeks. Well, my appointment ended up being nearly 5 weeks away. When he saw me, he said, How high are you able to lift your arm?" I said, "I don't know, I haven't lifted it since I last saw you." He was stunned that I actually listened to what he said. I was able to lift it above my head rather easily. He said my conservative movements with my arm have paid off. He said it looks like I will have a 100% recovery. I went riding on Saturday and it was like I never even stopped. You will heal, but I would rest a little longer. The sooner you get on it, the less of a chance your ligaments will have to tighten back up.

BTW, The Doctor told me first thing that a separation was completely different than a dislocation.

c&b745XX

~SPONSOR~
Nov 26, 2001
Yep , me too. The doc told me I had a 2-3 separation, and that it is probably worse than having a 4. At first that didn't make sense, after all a #4 is a total separation. I guess he means they won't do anything with a #2 or #3 , you just got to deal with it. With a #4 they are inclined to do surgery. I say inclined because I had a friend with a 4 and the doc said not to have surgery, since he didn't like the clavicle touching his ear he had the job done. I went to another ortho for a second opinion an he agreed with the first doc , I'm like in todays technology thats all you can do ?( I'm not a million dollar sport star and with my heath insurance thats all I'll get ) Well ,I probably used it more than I should of in the first place. But after 8wks or so I'm working out with it , the shoulder dosen't seem to like it . I'm sure thats par for the course , any movements above the chest line and the darn thing pops and cracks. I think that I will hit the practice track again next week , even if I don't have the broken arm fund established again. Oh yah , they said that they can shave some of the bone off if the rubbing is a problem. I don't like it , but with kids starting college and next racing season(03) upon me before you know it , I better go make some money and think about surgery if necessary next winter(03-04). Good luck B.B. :thumb:

jayrome

Aug 23, 2001
It sounds like some of you have AC tears. I work with orthopedic surgeons and had a 3rd degree tear a year ago. The outcomes for non-surgical trreatment are just as good for surgical intervention. My collar bone still pops up quite often but doesn't hurt. It's not a pretty site, but it works. I also had a friend with a class four who just had surgery about 6 months ago. He recommended to live with it if possible because it hurt like a son of a @#*!? As my doc put it, You can live with a bump or a scar, the scar isn't pretty and costs a lot more money!

mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
just a little update. after 3 weeks off my shoulder felt fine except for every now and then i would move it to a position where i would get a slight pain. seemed to be kind of random but no biggie.

went riding saturday and had a 30mph get off we'll call it. some might say endo but let's not argue semantics. it was not as violent as the last one. anyway, had a mx chest protector on this time so no problem right. wrong. separated my left shoulder.

i will be wearing hockey pads from now on. i think the mx protectors do a good job on roost and slapping tree limbs but as far as shoulder/clavicle protection, i think they are false security. oh well, back in 3 weeks, ready for the faceoff.

Adrian591

Jul 20, 2002
I seperated my shoulder 8/9. The sling didnt help at all sometimes I think it made it hurt worse. Two weeks ago I got a EVS shoulder brace and it really is helping, I was able to race the last race a week ago. Its only 40 bucks and I think it was well worth it. I also followed MX4Fun's rehab program work every day ice at night.hehe I gotta eat. ;)

Last edited:

stiffyyz125

Sep 10, 2002
I had my shoulder in one of those slings that go around your waist, wrist, and above your elbow. I kept it on for five weeks and when I went to another dr. he said I should have taken it off in three weeks because all of my muscles in my arm, shoulder, neck, and back were frozen. I couldn't lift my arm higher than my chest then i started wall walking when you stand next to the wall and with your fingers you walk up the wall it helps stretch your muscles. I started riding about a month and a half after. it has been two years and it is still hard to sleep on my left side. it also feels like there is hot water being poured on my shoulder when I ride hard. Oh Well

eldenh

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2001
Just injured my left shoulder yesterday. Believe it is class 3 AC seperation, collarbone it about an inch above shoulder. ER doc said nothing can be done for it other than cosmetic repair. Hope to see orthopedic surgeon Mon. Found a web site that indicates there may be other solutions, www.stoneclinic.com/acjoint2. It would seem that though there are a variety if repair techniques the results are not always completely successful. Feeling my collarbone move around on landing a jump was not somthing I care to repeat. Will it stabilize without surgery?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I'm about 3 months post crash with a class 2 separation and it still moves a little. It is only noticable (the slight movement) when I am picking up something at a weird angle. I am hoping that it will continue to tighten as time goes on. It has tightened up a good bit since the accident.

cbarber

Jan 1, 2002
I dislocated my shoulder just over a year ago and eventually had to have surgery last April. I saw an orthopedic doctor right after my first dislocation and I followed his advice to the letter - 6 weeks without riding along with rehab using rubber bands. I became frustrated with my progress because I continued to have dislocations, even though I was following the rehab program that my doctor prescribed. One of my riding buddies had gone through the same problem and, while driving me to the E/R, recommended that I see his surgeon. This doctor told me that my labrum was tore and that surgery was my only real option. Based on my friend's success with this same issue, I decided to go under the knife and I now have no regrets. My shoulder feels a strong as ever and I'm back to riding and mountain biking. I had to go through a couple months of physical therapy and some moderate pain, but it was woth it. The surgeon also advised that I start a weight lifting program to further build the muscles around my shoulder. If you decide to have surgery, just make sure that you find a surgeon that you are confident with.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by cbarber
I dislocated my shoulder
Please remember that a separated shoulder and a shoulder dislocaton are two completely different injuries.

From my limited knowledge on these two injuries, a dislocation deals with the ball and socket joint not holding together well. A separation involves the collarbones connection to your shoulder blade via a ligament.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
MikeT nailed it on the head...

Separation involves the AC (acromioclavicular) joint.
Dislocation involves the ball and socket (glenohumeral) joint.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by dirty~d~
acromioclavicular joint.
glenohumeral joint.
Ya, ya,.......that's what I said.....arcomico, glutishummer. :confused:

eldenh

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2001
Whether separated or dislocated, I think cbarber's comment about surgeons is valid. How do you KNOW who is a good one?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Most definately very valid comments. Good surgeon? I would flat out ask him how many of these operations he has done and what results he is getting. I say that and both times I was operated on, each surgeon had never done the particular operation before. I would say I have as perfect a result as I could get with both, my foot and my thumb.

Don't ask about my thumb, it has to do with another rider on a QUAD!

Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
Originally posted by eldenh
Whether separated or dislocated, I think cbarber's comment about surgeons is valid. How do you KNOW who is a good one?

I lucked out on mine, picked her out of the phonebook cause she was a sports medicine ortho.

Turns out she fixed my friends rotator cuff and a co-workers also. Turns out she has a good reputation. My physical terrorist said she was really good.

You could go around and ask some of the PT people who they think are good.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Hokie
You could go around and ask some of the PT people who they think are good.
Excellent Idea! The PT people do get the aftemath of all the operations.

Top Bottom