CR69r

Jun 1, 2003
anybody had one?
not a dislocated shoulder, but a separated one. I've done the ligaments on top of the capsule that hold the collarbone down. my collarbone now sticks up at least a half an inch. apparently, i didn't sever any ligaments and its just basic physiotherapy from here on in. I've been told there's nothing I can do about it, and not to worry I'll have full function. its just hard to believe when i look at the lump on top of the shoulder.

ps2112

Jan 27, 2003
I have a grade 3 separation. I can move the end of my collar bone up and down and side to side. The orthopedic doc told me there is nothing they can do. I have no pain and normal motion. I do get some grinding where everything comes together. He also told me that I will get arthritis from the grinding and in that case they will cut 1/2" off of the end of the collar bone for clearence. I found that the EVS shoulder brace helps to keep it together.

slowmorider

Dec 9, 2003
For me same situation as ps2112, but doc said it was more like a 2+. I still have 2 of the 3 ligaments attached. Make sure to do the physical therapy and keep strengthening that shoulder. I was back on the bike after 5 weeks but easy riding.

I'll have to give that EVS brace a try.

Trashrider

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 3, 2004
Shoulder separation

Hey,
I am in the same situation as you. I am waiting for results on my MRI. I have been racing and training but it hurts. Does physical therapy work for you guys?

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Iv'e had grade 3 on both shoulders. On my right I had the bone pinned down and had all the ligaments repaired. after it healed they pulled the pins. But it did me no good as I crashed and seperated it again. So now I am living with lumps on both shoulders, but one sticks up higher than the other.

Trashrider; The pain will go away, but it takes a while.

ps2112

Jan 27, 2003
It took about 4 months for the pain to go away and 6 months before I felt normal. I have been reading about a new procedure where they drill holes in the shoulder blade and collar bone, then use kevlar thread and sew it back together. I may ask the quack about it oneof these days.

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
ps2112 said:
I have been reading about a new procedure where they drill holes in the shoulder blade and collar bone, then use kevlar thread and sew it back together.

I would like to have all of my joints upgraded to kevlar, please :aj: .

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
CR69R,
Yep, same separated AC for me. In my case, Doc just had me do a sling for a week or two, then 2 weeks of no sling, no excercise, then 3 weeks of excersises with a big piece of rubber tubing for resistance. Ive still got the bump, but otherwise probley 95% cured. As always, most all cases vary a bit, as well as each individuals recovery rate.
Good luck with your recovery, Walt

slowmorider

Dec 9, 2003
For those that have healed somewhat will the shoulder take normal abuse, like running into walls or hockey. Its been three months for me now and I'm kinda leary about bumping into people or even layin on my side with the bad shoulder. No real pain anywhere just kinda weak and unstable at times. My main form of exercise was swimming but I've been afraid to pull with my bad shoulder. I'm still doing all the exercises that the therapist told me to do. Do I still have a ways to go?

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
slowmorider said:
For those that have healed somewhat will the shoulder take normal abuse

It has been about 15 years since my grade 2 AC separation. Mine is more prone to injury than my healthy shoulder, so I make a special effort to protect it as much as possible. There are several weightlifting exercises that, to this day, are still uncomfortable. After a few months, your shoulder probably won't effect your riding very much. Just don't crash anymore and everything will be hunky dory.

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
Grade 3 for me a few years ago. Doctors didn't seem as concerned as I did at the time, but a couple weeks off, a few weeks with front side and rear shoulder raises (very very light at first), the EVS brace and riding wan't a problem. That shoulder fatigued quicker at first, even more so without the brace. It's fine now and when I'm loney, I can paint a little face on the knob on my shoulder and have somebody to talk to ;)

Oh, anybody try playing pool within a week afterwards? It was feeling fine until I got to break and the pain from that sharp impact just about dropped me.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
James said:
is it a grade 2 or 3?

Good question. If it is a 3, they will do surgery. If it is a grade 2, then you just lay off it and then do excercises when the Dr. says.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I have a 3 and they didn't do surgery. Didn't even suggest it. They said the surgery for grade 3s is usually reserved for athletes that throw or situations where the separation has become arthritic. They won't push for surgery until it is a 4 in most cases. Grade 4 is a displaced collar bone.

ps2112

Jan 27, 2003
The only surgery my orthopedic quack said they would do for my grade 3 was to cut 1/2 inch off of the collar bone. He said this is most likely inevitable as arthritis will set in with the two rubbing. I separated mine 3 years ago and I am constantly hearing and feeling the rubbing and popping but no pain so far.

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
I had the 1/2" cut off the end of by collar bone. I highly recommend it. My shoulder is almost 100% after the surgery, 80% with pain before. I had a grade 3 separation and waited 3 years to get it fixed.

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
I was deer hunting out of a tree stand 12 days later. I felt better when I awoke from the surgery, however they removed a large piece of cartlidge from my shoulder during the procedure. For two years, I could not relax my arm and let it hang straight down. I thought the surgery was nothing to be honest.

tclimber01

Jan 30, 2005
more people then I thought

Wow I guess this is pretty common I did mine a year ago new years still got the bump was back climbing trees 4 days later that hurt like hell but its fine now except when I stand and let my arm hang down for a long time acually I think it helped my rotator cup my other one hurts more bad rotators are very common with tree climbers everyone I know has had surgery I dont think I want to try and fix the other side although the bumps might match :bang:

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Its a very common thing with dirtbikes. Both my shoulders are separated and stick out. I'm get shoulder surgery in late april/early May for chronic dislocations and a torn labrum on my left shoulder, but the othropedic surgeon told me there is no use in fixing the separation unless it is for cosmetic reasons. Its odd though because both my colloar bone stick out a good 3/4" and it really doesn't effect the shoulder stabilty.

Erik

Top Bottom