wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I have a HJC "Effect" helmet that I bought new last year. The helmet got knocked off of its shelf and fell about seven feet down to a concrete floor, and it fell on the main part of its shell (not on the chin protector or sun visor).

The helmet appears fine with no visible cracks, but I've read that this type of accident can ruin a helmet without any visible damage.

Maybe that is just what the helmet companies want you to think so you buy another one...I don't want to get another helmet unnecessarily, but I would also hate to have the helmet fall apart when I really need it...

Any ideas on what I should do?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
wanaride said:
...I don't want to get another helmet unnecessarily, but I would also hate to have the helmet fall apart when I really need it...

That's a big fall. Any damage, if any, my not be visible. I think you have answered you own question in the quote above. Sure, I would hate to have to buy a new helmet, especially if it "looked" like it took the impact, but I'd really hate to find out the hard way that the structural integrity of the helmet has been compromised.

mxjosh

Jul 16, 2003
When to replace your helmet?

Now for the million dollar question. When do you need to replace your helmet? It depends on the quality of helmet you bought. If you buy a Shoei or Arai, and never drop it or crash while wearing it, you can keep your helmet for five to six years. Steve Blakeney said that "It all depends on the maker. Helmets under $150 should be replaced every four years because the adhesive starts letting go."

When can you crash and keep your helmet? Never. Any manufacturer will tell you to replace your helmet the minute you crash. "You'd be amazed at how hard you can conk your head," Steve Blakeney said. "You may not even see a crack on the fiberglass." He explained that a lot of times the paint and clear coat hide small cracks in your helmet. Cracks can also be hidden by your helmet's liner. Also, Steve Blakeney told me that, "You can't see it on the outside, but the EPS (Expanded Polystyrene which is the hard foam inside your helmet) on the inside gets compressed. The helmet sacrifices itself for your head." By not replacing your helmet after a crash, "You're taking a chance on the helmet cracking like an egg shell.

This article was taken from a friends website on motocross and trail riding safety. My friend was also told that dropping a helmet 3' off the ground onto a hard service would compromise the safety of the helmet.

So the question for you is, How much is your life and safety worth to you?

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I was involved in a head-on accident about 3 years ago. I flew over the bars and slammed my helmet pretty hard on the left side. The damage to the outer shell just looked like scratches with a medium gouge in the center. I didn't think twice about replacing the helmet. I know your circumstance is slightly different, but like you, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
mxjosh said:
When to replace your helmet?

Now for the million dollar question. When do you need to replace your helmet? It depends on the quality of helmet you bought. If you buy a Shoei or Arai, and never drop it or crash while wearing it, you can keep your helmet for five to six years. Steve Blakeney said that "It all depends on the maker. Helmets under $150 should be replaced every four years because the adhesive starts letting go."

I think one of the biggest problems with helmet age is that the EPS liner will break down over time. So even if the helmet only sits on a shelf, in theory it should be replaced every few years regardless. I don't think that the EPS in Shoei or Arai helmets are any different in this way.

I rung my bell good in an Arai back a few years ago...face plant, unconscious, the whole bit. Not a mark on the helmet, except a couple of minor scratches on the peak (but not even cracked). Although I had no intension of using it again (even though it was only 1 month old), closer inspection showed that the liner had actually rotated within the shell by several degrees. Not alot of glue used to hold them in there, but it's for a very good reason as this seemingly helped absorb the inpact and I can still function normally (well mostly ;) ) today.

MrMXer327

Back in the saddle and having a blast !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Geeze! If I had to replace a lid every time Jared and I took a good tumble, we'd have to hang up our riding boots. The cost would be staggering. If funds are unlimited, by all means.... pick up a new lid. However, there must be some way to gage the condition of a helmet after a fall. When I KO'ed myself at Cooperland in 02, I knew my lid was history. Then inside was deformed, but the outside looked fine. My helmets will tend to grow looser over time as well... When it is no longer firm on my mellon... I'll get a new lid. It's a judgement call for sure and one worthy of some good discussion.

mxjosh

Jul 16, 2003
My friends site is MXINTHEUS.com

Its more of a motocross safety and nutricition website. Amy used to race until she had a severe accident that gave her an almost serious head injury and she did an article on helmet safety.

Top Bottom