Starting all over! Which bike? UPDATE #2

Geezer2

Jan 3, 2007
Starting all over! Which bike?

I haven't ridden for a number of years and pretty much out of touch with what is currently available! Have decided to get back into to it! Based on the following what is on your short list?

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5’ 6” 165 lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
not very

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
trails, dirt roads, woods

4) Do you have any riding experience?
In the 60’s desert riding (Greeves 250 cc), in the 70’s woods, trail (Hodaka 125cc), some trials (Ossa 125), none since

5) Do you think you will race ?
Nah

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
yep

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
No preference, but here is my Wish list
Reliable
Maintainable
Light weight
Quite
Probably 125cc
Want dirt/play bike that I can register
Not worried about color

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suziki

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
Want late model used, around the 1500 - 2000 USD mark

10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Semi-retired and live near national and state forest, think 125 cc would suit my ability, size, and intention. Almost all riding will be off-pavement, but still need to register bike I still remeber the reliability, easy starting of my old Hodaka!

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Even though I'm not a big Kawi fan, I'd strongly consider a KDX, either the 200 or 220. Meets all your criteria. Reliable, easy to work on, easy parts availability (stock and aftermarket), docile 2 stroke engine, etc. They haven't changed in like 10 years, so pick up one a couple years old that already has the shortcomings upgraded and handguards, skid plate, etc. fitted. Ride it a couple years and then decide if you need to upgrade to something lighter and racier or are content with it.

The 125s don't have the torque and are more about screaming top end. Plus, they're set up for motocross, meaning stiffer suspension, no spark arrestors, 19" rear wheel, etc. You could buy one and do all that, plus put a big bore kit in it for more torque, but by then you may as well have bought a KTM 200 or something along those lines.

My 2 cents,

Doug

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
agreed. KDX 200 or something along those lines. otherwise a WR250F would be perfect.

Geezer2

Jan 3, 2007
Starting all over! Which bike? UPDATE

Regarding my previous thread "Starting all over...

Thanks for the responses. Seems like the KDX 200/220 would fill the bill and I have heard that it is a very, very good trail bike.

But the seat height is just too high for me! I visited the Kawi dealer and he showed me a Kawi with the same seat height as the KDX200.

Can anyone recommend a bike as suitable for trail riding as the KDX200, but would at least let me put my toes on the ground (have a 29" inseam).

I'm considering the Yam XT225. I have seen mixed reviews on this forum. The 'cons' seem to be centered on lack of power and poor suspension. However, because I don't plan to go real fast/race (but would like power across the band) and don't plan to do any moto type jumps, this might be the bike for me. Matter of fact, I will be checking out the seat height tomorrow.

I welcome your input regarding other options for a reliable, relatively lightweight (and low seat height), and street legal bike to be used primarily for riding on fire/dirt roads and trails.

Thanks!!

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I think a KDX is a great bike. You can get lowering links from www.koubalink.com that will drop the rear about 1" or so. You can then lower the front a tad by dropping the triple clamps down on the fork tubes. And if you need more, just cut the seat foam.

I have done all of these mods to my KX500 and now it fits me like a glove.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
gwcrim said:
I think a KDX is a great bike. You can get lowering links from www.koubalink.com that will drop the rear about 1" or so. You can then lower the front a tad by dropping the triple clamps down on the fork tubes. And if you need more, just cut the seat foam.

I have done all of these mods to my KX500 and now it fits me like a glove.

+1. cutting the seat foam or subframe would probably be a cheaper way of lowering the bike, though.

Geezer2

Jan 3, 2007
KDX200 vs XY225?

Thanks for the response guys. Based on those responses, it seems that the Kawi KDX 200 is a much better trail bike than the Yami XT 225. I know that the seat height is lower on the XT 225, how do the two bikes compare in weight?

Any parting shots for the XT 225?

Any other candidates?

Thanks a bunch!!

apb

Feb 1, 2005
This article (link below) gives a little info about the xt225 and what its strengths are -- basically, its the opposite of a performance dirtbike, but extremely reliable and easy to operate and maintain.. But it is heavier than a kdx200 or most any other dirt specific bike, and has less suspension. If you don't need to go too fast, it'll get you most anywhere you want to go, and if you need to spend some time on roads, its got much less vibration than a bike like the kdx. It really depends on how you plan to use the bike to decide which is better for you.
http://www.thumperpage.com/articles/Serow.html

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The suspension on the Yamaha 225's is crap, trust me I ride one. It is heavy, too. My 86 TT without any of the lights or electric start is 240lbs. It's just as tall as my CR250.

I would say WR250F or CRF250X, but those bikes are still kind of spendy. A KLX300 or DR400 would fit your budget. Heck, if you aren't that interested in going fast, the XR250 is a nice bike and has a huge aftermarket. The XR400's are like riding a couch. Sure, they're heavy but they're soft and the engine/gearing combination makes them super easy to ride.

Geezer2

Jan 3, 2007
After wrangling with the KDX 200/220 (great reviews) verses the XT 225 (so-so reviews, but low seat) question, I went down to my local Yami dealer and asked him point blank "Does Yamaha make a trail bike as good as the Kawi KDX 200 (or KDX 220) but with a seat height same as the XT 225 (i.e. 32")?"

"Yep" he says, "right there" and points to a new XT 'whatever'. I say 'whatever' because he said something to the effect that the bike was referred to as both XT 225 and XT 250!! Which left me somewhat confused. It is my understanding that in 2005 through 2007, only the XT 225 was built and not the XT 250. But I could sure be wrong about that, if so please correct me!!

I did have a sit on the new XT, my toes touched the floor, and the bike felt very, very good. But the new bike was out of my price range.

However he did show me a used 1996 (or1998) XT 250 he had just taken on trade and not been prepped for resale yet. He said the weight and seat height was the same as the new XT. I'm thinking that this is truly a 250cc (verses the 225cc). because I don't think Yamaha made a XT 225 in '98, am I right? Is the XT 250 seat height and weight the same as the new XT "225"?

Now assuming that the older bike is in fact a XT 250 (not XT 225), how does the XT 250 compare to the KDX 200 for trail riding purposes? Is the XT 250 a reliable trail bike?

How does the XT 250 compare to the XT 225?

If the older XT 250 is as good or (almost as good) as the KDX 200 and the seat height and weight is OK, then I just may have found the bike I'm looking for!!

He did say that I could come in, pick-up the used bike (XT 250), and take it out to my farm for a test ride! Can't beat that offer!!

Lastly, let me "thank" everyone who is helping with my dirt bike selection. My wife says I am putting more effort into choosing the bike, than I did choosing our house!!

Cheers from Down Under!!!

rushy08

Jul 17, 2006
man i wouldnt even rate the xt against the kdx. the xt is an ag bike pretty much, and the kdx is a trails/enduro machine. the kdx has a low enough seat height aswell, and much more of an engine than the extra mellow xt. So i'd just hang out for a kdx until one comes up.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Forgot about the XT250. I'm pretty sure they never stopped making them. It's a fairly competent offroad bike. It's like an XR250, but heavier. They don't have the same aftermarket, either so replacement parts have to be bought through the dealer.

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
Three years ago I was in the same boat you are in today. I had not ridden off road for more than 25 years. The kids got interested in riding and I was back in it. I started with a CRF230 simple design, freindly eros, bullet proof beliability, and its easy to work on. I have since got a CRF250X but I still spend more time on the 230 as it is a very easy bike to ride. You will be amazed by modern dirt bike suspension. Its nothing like the 4 inches of travel I had back in the seventies.

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
I started with a CRF230 simple design, freindly eros, bullet proof beliability, and its easy to work on.
I also got back into riding but I went with the CRF150 instead of the 230 because it was lighter and the seat height was lower. I've outgrown the 150 and just got an 07 KTM 200 XC-W, but I'm keeping the Honda. It's just a great bike! I'd stay far away from the XT. Good luck

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
Kingston, about an hour north of Montgomery. Since this is a 'what bike do i get' thread, i can't ask for details about riding at Maybrook, but what's going on there? I heard it's openeing back up! Can you post something on the 'General Discussion' board? Thanks!

Nov 25, 2006
My friend recently got chased out of MTA, the maybrook riding area you are probably speaking of. DEC presence is heavy there, my cousin lives right there. I live in walden, but i've never been riding there.

kpfetz

Feb 9, 2007
I will speak up for the xt225. It's lower than the KDX200 and is street legal. there's no question that the KDX is faster and has better suspension but it's not street legal and expensive to make it so. The xt225 gets great mileage, about 80mpg, and will cruise on the road at 65mph. It probably has enough power for most off-roading that a casual rider would do.

Top Bottom