Rollin Code

Jan 15, 2007
I was riding last week out in Gorman CA, the temp was about 25 F. Besides my hands being numb from the cold, I throttle seemed to be stuck. The first slight twist in the throttle felt ok; however, when i would twist it more it seems to be very tight and hard to pull. Also, it when i let go of the throttle it wouldnt snap back. I thought it would 'warm up' but i when I rode it, it would get stuck. Anyone have any ideas that would remedy the situation if it has nothing to do with the weather?

Thank you

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
Got Sand?

I ride in So.Cal. too.... Lotta sand.

When my throttle was sticking, I ended up taking the cable out of the throttle assembly and slipping off the grip. A little WD40 cleaned it all out.

I'm suggesting sand cause that is what happens to me after a couple of unplanned "get offs". My most recent and epic crash came as a result of a stuck throttle...my friends claim I just panic'ded and grabbed a handful - (whiskey throttle)...but they are all liars. :nod:

After you've inspected, cleaned and reassembled the throttle assembly... make sure it is positioned correctly and the bolts are tight... the throttle opens and fully closes in all steering positions. [if this is too basic for you, I apoligize-but it is pretty serious]

Also, check your cables for kinks or chaffing... they should not be pulled or stressed during any steering position. Replace the cables if they are worn out.

Lube cables per your manufacturers owners manual.

Good luck! :cool: Ken

freakystyley

Nov 27, 2006
unscrew the cable from the top of the carb to lube it up...and check the carb return spring while in there. I had one snap and it caused the same thing, no throttle return and dangerous! otherwise look for chunks of old grip glue under the throttle sleeve.

Rollin Code

Jan 15, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Is this the first time your bike froze? And the hand thing, put some latex gloves on first!( doctors office has cans full!)

ill try that glove thing i have plenty at work too... And yes, this is the first time the throttle stuck like that. it was a scary thing.

Rollin Code

Jan 15, 2007
freakystyley said:
unscrew the cable from the top of the carb to lube it up...and check the carb return spring while in there. I had one snap and it caused the same thing, no throttle return and dangerous! otherwise look for chunks of old grip glue under the throttle sleeve.

is the carb returnspring something obvious? If not how do I find it?

Rollin Code

Jan 15, 2007
knowiam said:
I ride in So.Cal. too.... Lotta sand.

When my throttle was sticking, I ended up taking the cable out of the throttle assembly and slipping off the grip. A little WD40 cleaned it all out.

I'm suggesting sand cause that is what happens to me after a couple of unplanned "get offs". My most recent and epic crash came as a result of a stuck throttle...my friends claim I just panic'ded and grabbed a handful - (whiskey throttle)...but they are all liars. :nod:

After you've inspected, cleaned and reassembled the throttle assembly... make sure it is positioned correctly and the bolts are tight... the throttle opens and fully closes in all steering positions. [if this is too basic for you, I apoligize-but it is pretty serious]

Also, check your cables for kinks or chaffing... they should not be pulled or stressed during any steering position. Replace the cables if they are worn out.

Lube cables per your manufacturers owners manual.

Good luck! :cool: Ken

I just took apart the assembly right now, it wasnt so bad but Im sure a little goes a long way. Where do you ride?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
As cold as it was, whatever lube was in the cable and on the twist grip may have started to harden up. To free up my stiff cables, I disconnect the cable from the throttle tube and use a squeeze bottle of Tri-Flow with Teflon and drip it into the cable for a while. Remove the throttle tube from the handlebar, clean up the the bar and wipe it down with some oil. Chain wax sometimes works well here.

Rollin Code

Jan 15, 2007
Thank you all for your quick responses. I figured out the problem...a piece of the throttle cable located at the end of the housing by the throttle assembly has a frayed wire.
I figured it out when I pulled the cable to see if it was free and and it sliced my fingure...(Experience Points). I will replace the cable tomorrow. Again, thank you all for your help, I will certainly keep all those ideas in my mind and apply them as needed.

Ride safe...

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
Great Thread

Great Thread-Lou...Thanks

Ken

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Check to see if the throttle tube is jammed against the handlebar. Easy to check. If it is dragging there, loosen the screws holding the throttle body and move outward a smidge. Tighten the screws just tight enough to hold it in place but will allow movement on a hard hit.

Rollin Code

Jan 15, 2007
I have read the threads about the defective throttle assembly, particularly the cable wheel. I did find a frayed portion of the cable near the cable wheel. Are all wheels defective, can I just replace that part or is it an entire new throttle assembly?

Top Bottom