Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
I was watching the Powerline GNCC on OLN thursday night and Scott Summers said that alot of the top riders have surgery to reduce some tissue in the forearms that reduces arm pump! I have never heard of this and I am curious as to what he is talking about. Might have to stop all this exercising and go under the knife if the price is right! Please enlighten me on this procedure if anyone out there knows anthing about it. I did a search on it and came up with nothing.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
stephane roncada did this procedure in 00'. im not so sure if its a mental thing more than anything. also this is a procedure for people w/a physical problem,not just a person that is out of shape/or doesnt want to train enough. im not neccesarilly sure if its more hype than anything. if this really was a miracle cure than more riders would be doing it.(especially mcgrath after this year ;) ) anyway yes it does exist but im not sure if its really worth it both in function and money$$$$$$$. although it does exist

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
from my understanding is that they cut the tissue that incases the muscle, this allows the muscle to enlarge without restriction...hence not as much armpump

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
I want to train. I just have way too much other stuff that I am responsible for. I refuse to get up at 4am when I already have to be in at 6am for work. This is a hobby. I already have a job. I love to ride and race harescrambles. I am not a pro, so I can't just ride every day and workout all night. I ride once a month when I race. If there is a procedure that can be done so I can enjoy riding more, then I want it. I don't care what people think and "not willing to train hard" b/c just training alone doesn't eliminate arm pump either. Sorry, but I value the little time I get on my bike.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
doing forearm muscle workouts shouldnt take more than 20min. a day. if armpump is all your really worried about. take a section of a bar(wooden poll) about 1-1/2 ft long and tie a thin piece of rope in the center. attach a weight to the other end of the rope and roll the weight up and down by twisting the poll(bar). its an exercise that my cousin used for baseball and works out the forearm muscles very well. its short ,cheap ,and will cost next to nothing. i am just curious though.....it surprises me that its too difficult to find time to train "just for a hobby",but it is easier to spend large amounts of money on an unccessary operation and be out of work an x amount of time span because of it. unless you just have a large amount of money and possess a job that doesnt require you to use your arms. no offense I just dont see the rational in it.

dkortje

Sponsoring Member
Aug 30, 2002
If you are only riding once a month, I am afraid you are going to pump up no matter what surgery you have. The problem is that your muscles are just not conditioned for the trauma and abuse of riding. The purpose of surgery is to relieve a tight compartment in a well trained muscle. It has not been extreemly successful, helping maybe half of the people that have had the procedure. However, if your forarms aren't conditioned, the problem is most likely lactic acid build up, not mass. Bottom line, you need to get out and ride more bud:) (Wish someone would tell me that!)

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
Gentlemen, thanks for the input. Sorry if got sort of pointed. I have found out that this operation is an outpatient deal. I could walk out after it was done. After many years of labor, which wore me out everyday, hince the not real motivated to work out when I get home deal, I am now a supervisor that could have some sore arms and get away with it. I wonder how much the operation is. That is why I get pissed. Nobody seems to be able to tell me that. I keep a grip exercise device in my truck and office and can do 150 reps straight with each hand. I do this on average 3 to 4 times a week. Riding more would help, but with obligations, both work and family, it is a struggle to get to race or as some would call it..."aggressive trail riding". My more advanced race buddies give me a hard time when I am excited about a top 20. I live in an area where I have to drive 7 hours for a damn harescramble. I my mind, I think a grand or two would be worth being able to compete. Sort of like reworking your suspension. I don't see the difference in that. Do you two disagree?

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
just a matter of practicality my friend good luck in your search. I believe that none of us know the price for this procedure though, because most of us(definately myself) dont have the money to think of having it performed. anyway hope it helps you,have fun.

kxbeastrider

Nov 23, 2002
I used to get arm pump bad as well until my dad showed me some stuff.
"Oury" make grips. THem make these street bike grips that are fat thick square blocks to reduce vibration. They work great on dirt bike. They seemed to reduce impact on the bars and with the fatter grips your for arm sussles wont get as tence. I loved them. Im not sure that they make them any more from what Dad said. I think he has some left overs inthe shop but in various colors. ( not black)
Also,
Adidas makes some mussle relaxer cream.
It seems funny but it works. I decided to try putting it on before a race and I didnt get it.

If you are intrested in the grips. let me know. ( dont PM me , it doesnt seem to work) I can talk to dad and get him to send you some.

-Bryan McCrary

dkortje

Sponsoring Member
Aug 30, 2002
Bandit,
I definitely don't have a problem with you having the surgery if you can afford it and it works. My main concern would be the latter though. I can tell you as a physician I have seen hundreds of people that have had surgery for different maladies that offered 'cures'. Many time people came back very disappointed or even worse. Medicine is anything but an exact science, despite what you see on ER. Surgeries like this ussually work best for people who have done everything else possible and have no other hope. I'm not saying don't have the surgery, just make sure you know what you are getting into, find a reputable surgeon, talk to others who have had the surgery, and make an informed decison. I'm not sure about the cost, but ussually these type of procedures with surgeon, anesthesia and hospital cost run in the $5000 to $10000 range.

Hope this helps, and good luck!!!

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
5 to 10k huh? That is more than I thought. I was figuring maybe like 2-3k! Oh well, looks like I have to work out more. That sucks. What really pisses me off is the fact that after the first 2 horrible loops (usually 8-10 mile loops) I shake it off and ride like Lafferty. Not really, but I do hold my own. If I could just start out like I finish, life would be good. I thank you fellas for the input. Will work out like a freak this winter and see what happens next year.

Top Bottom