suzuki lt160 won't start- turn over

dgearhar

Oct 25, 2005
Anyone know how to test whether a starter is bad or not on a 4 wheeler. I replaced the battery, and I can't get the engine to turn over. I think something got fried because they had a battery charger connected to it with the setting on "boost" to try and start it. Are there fuses or relays that could be burned out? any way of testing the starter without buying a new one first? ....any ideas?

dgearhar

Oct 25, 2005
ATV - How to test for compression?

I cleaned all the connections and the starter is working. Now that I can do that I can't get the bike started. It has spark, and it's getting fuel. I also tried starter fluid just to confirm fuel wasn't an issue.

When trying to start it just cranks, never even sounds like it wants to try and start. I'm assuming it could have something to do with the compression, since it's gettting fuel and spark. How do you test and troubleshoot to see if it's a compression issue?

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
well you usually use a compression tester to do a compression test. try pulling it with something else and dumping it into gear. check the ignition coil and make sure it is clean. trust me you DONT want to have to replace the starter...... i had to do that on my 86 Suzuki LT250EF and for that it was $300 for the armeture, and $28 for the brush. thats in canadian dollars. check out www.atvnation.com there is tons of atv'ers on there that could prolly help you out a helluva lot more than here. im Fastback at atvnation.com, check it out yo, and post it there.

guts

Sep 14, 2003
if the botton is not turning the motor over it's a fuse which is located right up there with the battery just follow the wires, if i'm not mistaken its a 10 amp . there also should be a spare fuse with it . after you get that fixed you can try put little gas on the spark plug see if it hits . if not sounds like compression issue to me !

Top Bottom