McCosker

Oct 2, 2007
I have recently aquired a PE250, I know the full history of this bike as it has been in the family since new.
I am currently having problems with it bogging down at low revs and hesitating at low revs. Works great once its in the power band, Just down low it has almost no power at all, not even enough to spin the back wheel on dirt.
I have no idea what is causing this as I have never had much to do with bike mechanics, Any help would be great.
Im running 40:1 mix, Bike is totally stock apart from 96 RM guards.

What could be causing my no power at low rpm problems.

I have the carb at 1.5 turns out.

I have also had problems with plugs fouling up, but this could be caused by low power prob, ie: not burning fuel at low rpm.

Thanks in advance

Higgsy

Mar 23, 2005
Is the plug wet after running it at low RPM's.
I wonder if the reeds are worn out or not closing properly.
If it's all stock then install a Boyeseen reed and see if that solve the problem.

Jan 3, 2007
It could be just the pilot jetting guys. The reeds are metal and dont wear out fast at all. The crank seals gone would make the bike burn a white smoke and not a blue one. Try using a smaller pilot jet by a size or 2 to start with.

chiro972

Dec 12, 2002
You need to decide if it is a bog (lean) or a blubber (rich) sound. Either one could cause loss of power. My crank seal on my rm250 was totally shot, but the bike ran fine and no significant smoke. The main symptom was fouling a plug every 20 minutes of riding, so I don't think it is a crank seal problem, but if you are using up tranny oil that could be it. (my crankcase had a ton of oil in it when I pulled the cylinder and rotated the crank)

Also it could just be worn out on the top end. Low compression will do that. A simple compression tester from the local auto parts store would show it. Just plug it into the sparkplug hole, open the throttle, hold the kill switch and give it a big kick. You should be above 120 I would think on that bike.

McCosker

Oct 2, 2007
This sounds like it could just end up being a total rebuild.

Im leaning towards Crank seal, due to the fact that it fouls plugs up like there is no tmrw. It goes great for a few mins when a new plug is in, but then pull it and and its fouled up.

Is there an easy way to replace this seal?

And i dont suppose anyone has a part number for this.

going to take the head off tonight to check carbon build up and also check the reed.

Last edited:

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
I personally would pull the carb and completely clean it out FIRST.

Considering the age of this bike, it wouldn't be a bad idea to totally rebuild the engine (starting with rebuilding the crank). But it really would be worth your effort to clean out the carb first.

McCosker

Oct 2, 2007
Currently the carb couldnt be any cleaner, everything is working in it fine as far as i can see.
I dont want to go down the road of a full rebuild just at the moment as i my be relocating soon and wont have time to ride much.
the bike only has 3500 original kms on it and not hard kms either. Advice i have got of other say that the bike should be good for quite a few more kms before it needs a full build.

Jan 3, 2007
McCosker, most my bikes wont go 3500 KMs with the original top end for the fact they are ridden hard but the 175 did 2200 KMs witch is really good considering the engine size. I think you should look at the reeds and try a smaller pilot jet in the bike. Crank seals are not hard to do and not too expensive eaither.

Top Bottom