dansavage

Jul 14, 2008
I am dealing with an issue with my KDX that I believe is a reed valve issue, have a new set ordered which will be here on Thursday so that I can pull the existing, evaluate them, and then reinstall the new ones.

I've searched this site for information/symptoms about suspect reed valves, but am amazed that there aren't very many conversations about them.

If you've had experience diagnosing reed valve issues and can share them here, that would be great. It would certainly help me out, and also others that come here for support.

Thanks

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Generally they will make the bike difficult to start. I've never let them get bad enough to really cause any major problems. At 30 bucks I just replaced them frequently. I ran the dual stage carbon in my 125 and had the V-Force in the 250. I only put about 8 or 10 hours on the 250 so I never changed them.

Screamn200

Aug 30, 2008
I have a Boyeson reed block in my 95 KDX200 and have gone though several sets of carbon fibre reeds since i got it. Like joe said it might be harder to start. but the biggest giveaway is a bad idle and power loss at low revs/bogging down depending on how bad they are. If your reeds are fine try cleaning out the pilot jet.

I couldnt work out why I was using so many sets of reeds it was annoying me because they cost me over $100 NZ dollars ($65-70 USD) each time. I haven't gone through any for over 50 hours now and I'm pretty sure its from riding it pinned/flat out (possibly only in top gear) for to long at the river and beach.

Top Bottom