B

biglou

A friend of mine who is a fighter pilot in the USNavy just sent me this. If it doesn't show up in the thread, just click it or copy-paste or whatever:

OnlyOneStanding.jpg

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
That's pretty sad to see Lou. Bravo for the man in the wheelchair!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Is that S.F.? If so, it doesn't surprise me.:| That man there probably was one that helped give me the freedom I enjoy today.

B

biglou

Now that I think about it, I suppose I will just be proud of the gentleman standing rather than waste my energy on those on the sidewalk. Thanks, guys. I needed that. :thumb: It's been a long week.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
c'mon guys, at least they are there watching. isn't that kinda like complaining about the guy that wears a tee shirt to church?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Seems to be par for the course these days :| I kicked the seat in front of me a couple years ago when the putz stayed seated for the presentation of the colors. He stood up... he was PO'ed but he stood up :p

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
C'mon, those people were there and being patriotic, good citizens, etc. To fault them for an etiquette faux pas is kinda nit-picking, don't you think? If they had known that they were supposed to stand, I'd bet that they would be standing. I understand this flame Lou, but there's alot worse than that going on. (need a shrug-shoulders icon here)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If they had KNOWN?! It doesn't take a boy scout (oh sorry to be correct it should be "scout") nor a military person to KNOW what your SUPPOSED to do at the presentation of the nations flag. Is it something that's only supposed to happen when the announcer tells you to "Please stand for the presentation of our countries national flag...."? I guess these same people also need somebody to remind them to wipe? :silly:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Sorry Milquetoast - I'm with Patman ....
That completely sux!
The bad part is, some of them look old enough to remember the days before we became so dispassionately broad-minded in our acceptance of stupidity.

Tony

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by Milquetoast
Patman, maybe they forgot, maybe they never learned it. It's not the end of the world.

Truly unfortunate no matter what "EXCUSE" is used. Almost as bad as the putz's that can't remove their freaking ballcap for the national anthem :|

Anybody want to bet that none of those sitting down ever served in the military? Probably don't have any immediate family that did either.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I would have no idea about standing to attention at a parade, the only reason I am standing usually is because I get there late, and end up standing at the back. Besides what is the etiquette at a parade, when you have the crowd behind you telling you to sit the heck down :ugg:

At a July 4th parade, it is usually the patriotic few who get there a few hours early to get seat at the front.

Don't know what to make of posters like this whose intent is to cause division and controversy :think: (not you Lou, the poster itself !)

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I don't think its division and controversy that the 'poster' is looking for. I would call it 'enlightenment', 'education', 'thought provoking' or maybe for a generation or two 'a look deep inside themselves' and how disconnected they are from the freedoms that they enjoy every minute of every day.

Force them to serve in the military or live in Assfreakistan for a while and they'd be doing this when the flag went by. :worship:

I'll continue to hold my belief that anyone who doesn't like it here or doesn't want to respect this country and what it stands for can leave and not let the door hit them in the behind on the way out.

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
etiquette faux pas
I have given up all hope for some of our members.

RESPECT the colors or kiss my Ass and get off my web space.... how's that? I'm so tired of this crap. If you want to play in my sandbox.. fine. Other wise, No way will I misss you. Buh bye. It's some of the attitudes I see here that have gotten us to the point we are... the terrorists rely on the fact that there will be ass-kissers in the states quoting John Lennon. Some how, some way, even the most pliable of us all will understand that joe terrorist will **** down your throat given the chance....

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Okie
RESPECT the colors or kiss my Ass and get off my web space.... how's that?

I love laser sharp clarity of thought. :thumb:

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
Damn Okie, you're freakin out dude. Opinions aren't allowed anymore? I guess you're going to say I started a political discussion again, right? We were doing fine with a simple discussion until your post. :|

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by TTRGuy
Anybody want to bet that none of those sitting down ever served in the military? Probably don't have any immediate family that did either.

This is probably the truth, I would still bet that these are probably some of the most patriotic people at the parade.

Now the purpose of this poster may be to educate people, but it has already proven to have some people here very hot under the collar, jumping to assumptions, and even saddened. No doubt this too was the purpose of this as well.

I think just as the people who have been ignorant of flag etiquette, and have been advised as to what is proper, people like these too, would appreciate some constructive criticism.

At least now I know too (I was a boy scout), what is proper/expected in these circumstances.

I am still getting used to standing at sports games for the national anthem (this was something we never did at home - the anthem was saved for national events)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by Okie

I have given up all hope for some of our members.

RESPECT the colors or kiss my Ass and get off my web space.... how's that? I'm so tired of this crap. If you want to play in my sandbox.. fine. Other wise, No way will I misss you. Buh bye. It's some of the attitudes I see here that have gotten us to the point we are... the terrorists rely on the fact that there will be ass-kissers in the states quoting John Lennon.

And the Judges response

10 10 10 10 10 10

Gee folks that makes it a perfect score!

Top Bottom