Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by zio
.... Santa Cruz .... After highschool, I went to college in Longview, Texas ....

zio, that is a really big leap. Darn sure couldn't jump that on a bike!

Kudos to everyone in this thread :thumb: This is the best country on the face of the earth! Like Brian, where is the clap clap clap emoticon.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Did I mention that I'm honored to know you guys?

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Thought I would share this, Standing Left to Right, My Dad, Co-pilot, Navigator and Bombardier, Most of the guys kneeling are gunners.

This was taken his first day in Australia, ( age 19 ) I was told that upon seeing his plane for the first time he said “ That’s a Big Ass Bird “; Over night they had painted a donkey on it with the words Big Ass Bird right behind the numbers.

Believe or not, I still have that flight jacket in my closet, it’s so small it wont even fit my 17 yr. Old daughter

That whole crew is gone now

Attachments

• big ass bird.jpg
    big ass bird.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Well, if we are sharing here is one of my Grandfather. He served in the 10th Mountain Division during WWII and was awarded the Bronze star. If you remember the 10th Mountain Division during WWII they fought some serious battles and one of the campaigns my Grandfather fought in was the one that cost Bob Dole the use of his arm.

My Grandfather also served in Korea. My father served in Vietnam and was awarded the Purple Heart after a guy in front of him stepped on a landmine and left my dad with so many scars his body looks like a road map! (and he was the fortunate one). He took 6 years off from the Military after Vietnam and then went back in with a college degree and committed to being an enlisted man. He served 21 years total as a Russian Translator and still works at Fort Gordon for a Defense Contractor.

grandpa.jpg

B

biglou

Clockwise from top left: Dad, Mom and me, circa 1968. Dad in Korea, circa 1954. Dad in Japan, Mt. Fuji, date unknown (1970?). Dad and I at my graduation from Boot Camp, MCRD San Diego, CA, Oct. 14th, 1983 I was 17 years old (Funny how I know EXACTLY what date that pic was taken! ;) )

PatriotPics.jpg

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I would like to make a motion that this thread hit the archives. Greatness is achieved with actions not words but on the internet we have heard some great words of action. Thanks BigLou and everyone that has contributed to this thread. :thumb:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
A look at next August's new Lt's. I'm dead center holding the gydon(SP) :)

Attachments

• class 45-03-1.jpg
    class 45-03-1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 115

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
JPIVEY
is that plane a B-29? That's what my father flew. they were shot down so many times he won't even talk about it. you look @ his hand there scared really bad. my uncle told of a few storie's about him pulling fellow air men out of crashed plane's. "he won't talk at all" mom has a jewelery box just jammed full of old medals. you ask pop about them. he won't talk about it. it must of been really tough back then!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
The WWII generation is the greatest generation as defined by Tom Brokow's book, and once you read it you will agree.

Our would would be vastly different except for the willingness of a few to step forward and protect the ideals we hold self evident for all mankind. Never have so many been indebted to so few.

The struggle continues today. We are a target because of what we aspire for the "whole" world.

I want to second Brian's nomination.

B

biglou

The older gent that lives down the street from me (right across the street from where I used to live), was a B17 Navigator in WWII. One Veteran's Day, I was thanking him for being such a good neighbor and keeping an eye on my place when I'm not around, etc, and for his part in WWII. I told him how what he and his commerades did was something special, and he replied, "Hell! All we were trying to do was stay alive and get back home!" LOL!

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
"he won't talk at all"
My grandfather is the same way, I helped him move about 3 years ago and It was the first time I noticed he had nothing to show he served. :ugg:

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Great thread, Everyone!!! Thanks so much for sharing your pictures of your families and their history with us. Tony Eeds, I have yet to see a post by you I did not like.
Look I’m tired of political conformity, affirmative action, 8th, 9th, and 10th strikes for losers. No more excuses for the criminally stupid.
Patriotism , ... people it started before 9/11/01 ... It brings to mind my attendance at the Stanley cup play-offs. When Detroit came to play the Hurricanes their fan base was an enormous presence here in Raleigh, everyone was vocal about the cup staying in a US team’s hands, but what really sticks in my mind were the Montreal, and Toronto fans. They, for the most part, were very courteous, and when the US national anthem was sung those that were sitting near me joined right in, (every game). That’s uncalled for respect. I was sure to watch the “Tron-Screen” to return the favor in O’ Canada. It left a huge lump in my throat, even more so than usual. Patriotism is not something you learn, it’s how you feel. I served from 84’ to 87’ and never saw action. After basic and AIT, I never left Ft. Carson other than training for two months in Ft Irwin. I don’t feel like a vet and I don’t ever take credit for serving my country, though I would have gone to combat in an instant. I point out that our greatest are those who have been in the theater of hostilities whether on foreign soil or our own, the uniform does not matter, the rank is insignificant, soldier, law enforcement or rescuer these are the patriots who answer the call everyday. I remember in my first week of basic training, we were on a march and at about 4:50 our Drill Sergeant halts the formation and instructs us on the history of the calling of taps, and how we should think of fellow comrades whom have fallen in duty before us. As he finished and as the bugle call began I could see he was in tears. This guy became one of the strongest persons I know and is still an inspiration to me today. I am so thankful I live in this country, I expect to die here, and with the fanaticism of some outsiders, I gladly would to defend this country. Though at my age a national militia would be the only way to serve.

One last comment, respect your flag, respect your anthem, respect your fellow citizens, and respect yourself, if these things are a bother to you … then LEAVE!
And GOD bless America!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by 96whyzee125
I remember in my first week of basic training, we were on a march and at about 4:50 our Drill Sergeant halts the formation and instructs us on the history of the calling of taps, and how we should think of fellow comrades whom have fallen in duty before us. As he finished and as the bugle call began I could see he was in tears

I came to tears as I read whyzee's post.

I too served but do not say as much because I never left the US either.

When I was in Basic at Fort Polk LA, we got the same talk the first evening of the first day. I joined the National Guard in order to keep from going to Vietnam and simply becoming another body on the fire. I will never forget the sadness on the faces of the people assigned to 11 Bravo as an MOS. I suspect that few of them returned. :(

I will also never forget the internal confusion at that point of my life. I had friends shipping out to Vietnam almost weekly and a father (WWII Vet) who wanted me to get out of going any way I could, because of the way the war had turned political and the lives of the people involved were almost without value. The hollow spot remains to this day.

Jeff Allen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 23, 1999
Over this last Labor day weekend I took my wife to Niagra Falls on the Canadian side for our 10th wedding aniversary and was impressed to see the U.S. flag flying on every flag pole that had Canada's on it. Made me feel proud to be an American to know that while being foriegn soil the Canadians were thankfull for what we have done.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
the subject of this story is one of my ancestors from way back. for those of you who don't know me, bissell is my last name.

In the continuing attempt to sort out who did what to whom
first 200 years ago, Gerald Chapman wrote the following poem to
commemorate the ride of Israel Bissell who spread the word of
the April 19 events in Lexington and Concord to the rest of the
colonies. It was first published in 1973 about the time of the
150th anniversary of Bissell's Death.

Listen, my children, and you shall hear
of Israel Bissell of yesteryear;
A poet less patriot whose fame, I fear,
was eclipsed by that of Paul Revere.

He lacks the renown that accrued to Revere
for no rhymster wrote ballad to blazen his fame;
But Bissell accomplished - and isn't it queer?-
a feat that suggested Revere's to be tame

And yet is unknown to all but the few
who, intrigued by the hist'ry of exceptional deeds
Wish now to pay homage to Bissell - long due
to him who filled one of the colonies' needs

"'Twas the nineteenth of April in 'seventy- five --
the day that Paul's ride was brought to a Pause'
(That war-warning which was made to survive
by Longfellow's preference for him over Dawes)

That Bissell went south to carry the post
to patriot folk in Jersey and Penn,
And despite his route was much longer than most
(if passed over hill, through valley, and fen)

He carried the news of Britain's attack
and the Middlesex farmers' resolute stand;
And asked that the faraway colonists back
their Boston compatriots' stout hearted band.

Down through Connecticut, down through New York
he spread the alarm far and wide,
Across the wide Hudson he passed like a cork;
he rode through New Jersey, and on the far side

Attained Pennsylvania at last.
His trip cost two horses that under him died;
Never before had man gone so fast
the distance that Bissell made on his long ride.

He reduced the trip time from six to four days
to take to the men on the Delaware's shore
The Patriot's call for a blaze
of resistance to Britain - and war!

So men from New York - Philadelphia too-
joined men from New Jersey in telling the King
That henceforth the Colonist wanted their due
in matters of government, and everything

That effected the lives of men who required
the unfettered right to control their own fate
When each was denied them these men were inspired
to proclaim to all mankind a newly formed state.

We all know the fruit of the joining of forces:
How King George and Great Britain were
defeated in war; To Israel Bissell and his galloping horses
we now render tribute that was due him before.

Top Bottom