Votes: 17 8.6%
  • I don't know, I'm still on Percoset

Votes: 30 15.2%

• Total voters

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
High Lord Gomer said:
Yep, MikeT definitely goes for the RoboMoto look!
Ya, that's probably true but I try to be as safe as possible. Believe it or not all that stuff I wear doesn't impede me in any way. I did go out one time without my neck protector and felt naked. Won't do that again.

Attachments

• img_3179temp2.jpg
    img_3179temp2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
Ok, add me to the list. one hand typing and all. Im snapped my left one on the night time poker run at DW04. They put me in a sling at stillwater ER.our drive back was fair, about 550 miles. I am going to try the natural thing, but first, I want my doctor to see the x ray. i just can't see how it's going to heal the way it broke.

ginster77

Oct 12, 2003
i broke mine at dirtweek 04 also in the 2nd moto of the pro/a mx race on the big step up. i also dislocated my shoulder at the same time. dr mike put my shoulder back in (huge thank you) then realized my collar bone broken. i was ok for the first 2 days with some vicodin a couple times a day. now about a dozen times a day, even if i'm setting perfectly still, i get a severe stabbing pain in my collar bone area that will make me scream. it lasts from a couple seconds to thirty seconds. the bone is broke in half with a third piece floating around underneath. i've told the doctors but they just told me to come back in a week for more x-rays. that's tomorrow so if they don't do something then i'm going for a 2nd opinion. has any one else had that stabbing pain, i broke my collarbone when i was a kid and i was jumping my bicycle 2 days later, i don't remember it being this bad.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I had the stabbing pains for about a week. It took me forever to get comfortable in a chair, I'd be sitting there, and suddenly WHAM! the bone would slip out of place, it felt like I was stabbed with a knife. I'd have to pull my shoulder back, feel the bone move, and all would be OK again for a while. I think the figure 8 brace helped with this, as it keeps the shoulder pulled back some all the time.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001

It's been 11 days now, and I have almost 50% of my arm movement back, but still a dull ache in my shoulder. off the painkillers, and doing only aleve.
I spend maybe half my day in the sling. It feels much better when i am out of the sling. :cool: BUT, I am going CRAZY! :bang: I need to do something!!!!! ordered seals for the forks of both bikes, and thought i would revalve mine, and reseal them, and just reseal my kids bike. Hey, I got nuthin but time!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I was told that the whole point of the sling was to keep you bones immobile so that they would heal. Taking your arm out of the sling for even a few minutes a day could undo all the benefit of the ot 23.9 hours (or so I was told). Along with that, I was told that the effectiveness of the sling versus the figure 8 brace was about the same, but the compliance and consistent usage of the figure 8 was much better because it wasn't so easy to get out of and you can still use both hands.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
This being my first broken bone ever, I had alot of questions. The time in the sling was the biggest one. the doc told me to take my arm out pf the sling several times a day, and dangle it, and do circiluar motions, little at first, but by week four, pretty big motion change. I go back in week four for x-rays again to check on the progress. I think the most painful thing right now is knowing it is only the begining of week three! :( I'm going friggin NUTS! :bang: :bang: I'm so f-ing bored!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Well, here I am at 5 1/2 weeks post surgery. Just wanted to give you all and update. I have full motion and I actually think I always did. I don't think I hurt my shoulder that bad just the collar bone. I have started doing some minor excercises on my own. I have two little 6.6 pound weights and do a few excercises with them. Just about 10 reps in no more than three sets. Since it is a fairly light weight I think I'm OK, plus that titanium plate has had the bone fixed for all this time. I feel no pain from the break, just some pain in my ball and socket joint that the Dr. said would go away.

Even with the plate there is a good lump which I think is scar tissue and new bone forming. Hopefully that will go away in time. I want to ride but I won't because I don't need any setbacks. The surgery has already cost me enough $$$$$.

Quite surprizingly, while I was doing my military press (over the head) I heard my right shoulder popping....... I injured my left...... Go figure. I guess I'm geting old! :|

Camaro

Feb 25, 2002
Good to see I'm not the only one. I broke my left collar bone when I was 17 and went in for painkillers and a set (The ugly white stabilizer vest and decided it would hold and I rode in Carbondale the next weekend and broke the right one too. Kinda dumb I know but it was sunny out! :aj:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I'm considering riding the day after Thanksgiving. It will be 10 weeks post surgery. The collarbone is feeling pretty good. I have a pretty good lump there but it isn't too bad.

What do you guys think?

I am planning to do some trails and not do any major track stuff.

Mike

Speeed

Proud American
Jul 4, 2004
go for it !
it took me some time to get back to "before break" confidence !
but it does come back (and then some, I think)
have fun

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Well, the day that was to be never was. :( I had planned to take the whole family with me so that the wife could watch my little rider while I took in some trails and a slow ride on the track. What happened was that my baby girl got an ear infection and had a ruptured ear drum so Momma had to stay home. That meant I had no one to watch little man on the kids track while I rode. Since I couldn't say no to my little guy........... I just left my bike at home and took him riding. Ah, a couple more weeks of healing will be a good thing. :)

Robin13

Nov 21, 2004
I broke my left april 7th 2004. And this time, 2 days ago, I broke my right side one. Both riding park with my bmx.
The fist time it was broken and seperated well and I couldn't imagine it healing by itself. Well it did. Because the bone was seperated by about 1/4 inch I think an overlapping and you could see both ends thrue my skin I was concerned.
It took about a month for the 2 parts to fuse, it still moved but was flexing. It was pretty painfull when I moved before it fused, but ok when I sat still. Especially getting out of bed was painfull. It gradually got better and I was using a sling and X-figure, wich was really uncomfortable but allowed me to walk around.After it fused the dokter told me that instead of taking it very easy like during the first few weeks that I should let pain be my guide. And start moving the shoulder as soon as possible to prevent a frozen shoulder.
A month later it felt more solid buth xrays showed no calcification yet, but you could see a small cloud around the bone ends.
Another month later it felt good and solid, but xrays showed calcivication was not completed but well started. I started going to the gym again traing with smalll weights, I could feel flex when goin too heavy, but besides that it felt normal.
They did say the connection was preety strog, but breaking it again before cacification would cause complications and sergury would be needed.
After 4 months I started riding again, just to be sure. The doctor said it would be another 2 months to fully heal, but before I started riding again I was already benchpressing 220lbs again.

This time 17 march 2005 I broke my right side and the xrays look similar, but without overlap, just seperation. It hurts alot less and I'm only using a sling this time. And the bone doesn't move around as much. Getting out of my bed and chairs is ok now too. So I hope it will be all better in 3 months this time.

Domenic

Mar 22, 2003
Well its been a year today ;) Have a built in weather forecaster now. I'm 47 years old and done 3 cross-country races this year so far. Was a little worried about injuries until after my first major crash. Really a pretty minor injury compared what could have happened. So give it time to heal, and keep on riding.

Domenic

Lainer

Mar 6, 2005
i broke my right collarbone skiing in february while jumping in the TP. i needed surgery immediately because it was in 5 or 6 pieces, but it wasnt as bad as it sounds and i was feeling great in a week, but 2 months later i was riding my bike and went over the handle bars only to break my left clavicle. so my second surgery will involve another plate and a few screws again. i guess when i get on my bike again i should excersise a little caution!

drtridr1989

Apr 29, 2005
i didnt fracture my colar bone but... i have an AC joint seperation in my left shoulder wich is torn ligaments.. what happen was me and 3 ppl were riding (1 of them being a new rider) me and one of the kids were doing the same circle at the riding area and the third kid (the new rider) ended up coming the wrong way on one of the very narrow trails and i came around the corner and hit him head on... got thrown about 15 feet landed on what im suspecting to be my shoulder and head (i got knocked out for a good 20 secs or so..) i dont know what this kid was thinking because he seen us taking this same circle for a good 20 mins on two dif occasions and he jus ended up coming the wrong way... sadly he broke his wrist almost threw the skin... i went to the ER and they told me that i had the AC joint seperated because the ligaments that connect the collar bone to the AC were torn... i go to the bone doctor tomorrow to see whats up but has anyone else had an injury like this, how long do u think it will take to heal?

drtridr1989

Apr 29, 2005
:pissed: jus got back from the doctors, im not going to be able to work for 4-6 weeks and no riding for about 2 1/2 monthes, doc said its a class III seperation and that if it was on my dominant side, wich is my right side i would have to get surgery... looks like my plans to race Motocross in a few weeks are shattered

DCR

Mar 22, 2005
I broke my collarbone six weeks ago this Saturday. My break was simple and was well aligned. Just wanted to share some information that I got from my orthopedic surgeon.

1. Calcification does not show up on an X-ray for 3 months

2. Total remodling of the bone does not happen for 1 year

3. My Doctor told me my collarbone would not be as strong as it was for 1 year.

4. You need 1500 mg of calcium a day to aid in healing (and remember pop limits the bodies ability to absorb calcium)

I won't be skiing or riding this summer at all.

YZ125Rider33

Apr 10, 2005
i broke mine in half doing a 60 foot double and took a good soil sample with my face. my bike was fine only because it landed on ME!!! :ohmy: :yikes: .i let it heal naturally, but i do have a nice lump and my right arm is an inch and a half longer than the left (aahhh im a freak) oh well. Who ever thought motorbikes were dangerous

yfz450

Aug 3, 2005
I'm 37 and just broke my left collarbone and three ribs on Sat. the 13th. I was told 6-8 weeks of recovery time. Sleeping at night absolutely sucks. I am wearing the figure 8 brace all day, but there is no way I can sleep in this thing. When I first wrecked I knew I had broken something, I had no idea it would be my collarbone and three ribs. I was in a good amount of pain but nothing compared to getting out of the bed the next morning. I was almost in tears it hurt so bad. I'm on tylox now but most people seem to be on vicadan? Should I contact my Dr. and see If I can switch? The pain is getting less but I still get sharp pains in my chest from my broken ribs. It feels like your getting stabbed with a knife. Anybody start riding again after 8 weeks? or should I just wait? I really don't want to go through this b.s. again. Patrick

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Broke mine in two places at age 37 on my first ride in 20 years. Wore a figure-8 24x7. Slept in a recliner the first 2 weeks. Vicadan didn't do anything for me.... Vicaprofen, however, was magic. Took it about 20 minutes before laying down, and slept solid, even in a chair.

I can relate to the sharp stabbing pains. There are a ton of nerves that run along side your collarbone. Depending on the severity of the break, it can mess up the nerves quite a bit. I was numb from the shoulder down to my fingers for the first month, then it slowly got better. It was close to a year before the numb spot at the tip of my shoulder went away.

At about the 6 week mark I pressed my ortho into prescribing a bone growth stimulator. I did not want to waste the whole season. I believe it did help, but ended up waiting a full 3 months before riding again.

Good luck!

Top Bottom