Tight Woods Single-Track

• Give me my 4-stroke... Burleson never had anything on me!

Votes: 43 19.7%
  • Give me my 2-stroke... I'll show that Lafferty guy!

Votes: 170 78.0%
  • I'm a greenie. Humans are evil and destructive, I know best. See my crown of many jewels?

Votes: 5 2.3%

• Total voters

jodyboy

Mar 5, 2008
Thought the YZ was coming back in '09?

gabe19

Jul 13, 2008
Idk

I don't think they will stop making 2-strokes. I don't race but one of my buddies races class B mx and he said they started changing rules to allow the 250 2t to race with the 250 4t. I don't know know what you can race with the 450 4t though I guess bored-out 250 2t's. I can understand them stopping production on the 125's but I can still see 250's being sold.

Red 250

Mar 31, 2008
I thought long and hard on my purchasing a CRF 250 R. I am an old fart and remember the great days of the 2 stroke so when i went to look at a new bike I still wanted one. Only to be told that they weren't being made any longer. And that R&D hasn't been done on the Honda 2 stroke for close to 7 years. I wanted a bike that would be more predictable. So I opted for the 4 stroke. Remember I'm old and don't want the OMG "I blipped the throttle a bit too much and I'm gonna eat ****" problem. For me I love the fact that the bike will go where I point it and deliver predictable horsepower when I need it as well. It has its problems but for the most part I love it. Have I crashed ?? Absolutely... But I find that when in tight spots I can always grab a handful and know the bike will deliver. The rest is up to me LOL.......................have fun......................Red

Scooterb

Dec 9, 2007
I grew up riding 2 strokes after a looong layoff from riding (20Yrs) I got back in the sport....My first ride was a 83 RM250
WOW that was alot of bike and it kinda scared me ..so I went and rode a CRF 250F I liked the bottom end power but could not get used to the engine braking...I ended up buying a
KX 125 and I would not trade it for any 4 stroke.

I put my son (9yrs old) on a KX65 this year and he is all for the 2 strokes so the 2 Stroke tradition continues in my family.

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
My 2 stroke weighs 300lb, thats more than my mates 4 strokes and it still passes em uphills and downhills. When we get in tight rocky sections mine keeps ticking away at 24 firing pulses per turn of the rear wheel while they are stalling at around 12 thumps per turn. Maybe 4 strokes need to be twins to even things up.

oldbuck

Feb 8, 2005
Not only is my 300 KTM deep on torque and top end, but the total cost of ownership is low. It's easy to maintain, and with the db snorkel on it, it registers 82db on the J1287 sound test.

ok, it's a 'total oil loss' system, and that's not the most friendly combustion technology. That issue does have me looking at 4 strokes, but until they can make them quieter, I'm not interested.

-d

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
All oil gets disposed of eventually, plenty of 4 stroke owners would be changing more oil than they need to. I think the real problem with 2 strokes is the ineffiency at some engine speeds, fuel economy and associated emissions, and whilst I feel bad about that direct injection can't be far away.

Hawk45

Feb 21, 2003
Did the 4stroke thing and was a big ol' hoomty DR350. Went to 2 strokes and perfer when I can get them setup right for the woods. Having that problem on my new bike (98CR250). And oh yeah.. I don't miss kickstarting that big sucker.

Hawk45

Feb 21, 2003
I recycle now to make up for the increase of the carbon footprint of the 2 over the 4. See.. I care! :cool:

But doesn't the 4-stroke require more frequent oil changes?

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I have a nice two-stroke and a new four-stroke, but when it comes time to choose, I always seem to pick the thumper. I prefer the 450 everywhere, except for the really nasty, Last Man Standing kind of stuff, which I usually avoid. If I have to ride really nasty stuff, I agree, the two-stroke is better. My next smoker will have the magic button, though.

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
JMD said:
I have a nice two-stroke and a new four-stroke, but when it comes time to choose, I always seem to pick the thumper. I prefer the 450 everywhere, except for the really nasty, Last Man Standing kind of stuff, which I usually avoid. If I have to ride really nasty stuff, I agree, the two-stroke is better. My next smoker will have the magic button, though.
Now thats the way to do it, a choice for all occasions.

bonitz

Aug 20, 2008
I cant believe it. I raced 2 strokes my whole life. They are alotta fun, but i can turn faster laps on the 450. The problem with the 450's is that there is few people who can actually use the bike to its full potential. It turns like a dream also. The bike is 20lbs heavier than a 2stroke, but the design and power delivery make up for the added weight. Ive rode with the same crew for about 7 years. I used to have a kx250, and it ripped, but now that i have the fo fitty know one can hang with me. I actually feel more comfortable flicking my 450 around than i do the 2stroke because 80% of the time throttle and power will get you out of a hairy situation.All my buddies race gncc, and when we go ripping on the trails the 2strokes get burnt. I just dont understand where you guys are going with this. I used to be 2strokes for life, but those days are far gone. :fft:

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
bonitz said:
I cant believe it. I raced 2 strokes my whole life. They are alotta fun, but i can turn faster laps on the 450. The problem with the 450's is that there is few people who can actually use the bike to its full potential. It turns like a dream also. The bike is 20lbs heavier than a 2stroke, but the design and power delivery make up for the added weight. Ive rode with the same crew for about 7 years. I used to have a kx250, and it ripped, but now that i have the fo fitty know one can hang with me. I actually feel more comfortable flicking my 450 around than i do the 2stroke because 80% of the time throttle and power will get you out of a hairy situation.All my buddies race gncc, and when we go ripping on the trails the 2strokes get burnt. I just dont understand where you guys are going with this. I used to be 2strokes for life, but those days are far gone. :fft:
It is hard to argue for a 2 stroke after you ride a 450, as much as I hate to admit it. Still I'll make the best of what I've got for now.

endurotuff

Nov 8, 2004
Up to us to let 'em die!

2-Strokes 4-ever said:
Ultimately, it IS a factory thing. The AMA wanted to encourage 4-stroke R&D partially because developing these bikes would bring more consumer choices, and we have the popular "be green" agenda too. The factories will make what sells, and we aren't buying the 2-strokes. The choice is ultimately the consumers.

Guys and Gals i'ts up to us to let the two stroke die. I started my riding life on a Gas Gas 300, way too much bike for my abilities at that time. Settled for a 4 stroke 250X and have been riding it for two years. I feel much comfortable with my riding skills that I would like to try a Gas Gas 200 and maybe later change the barrel and convert it to a 300. We have a couple of "senior" riders who use KTM 300 e start and swear by them. I understand Yamaha will still offer it's YZ250. Being that I consider myself a woods racer I woud go for a ready for trail Gas Gas (read: "I sometimes come out of the woods late and need a good light to make it home" bike). I know from a reliable source that e starts will finally make it to Gas Gas enduro models. Just like everything else I don't think there is a "perfect bike" it depends on each of us, but if you really don't want the demise of two strokes run to Yamaha, Gas Gas, KTM and Husqvarna's dealers and "SHOW THEM THE MONEY!!!!!"

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
^^^ Our lovely Obama/Biden combo may make short-order of that.......... :bang:

endurotuff

Nov 8, 2004
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
^^^ Our lovely Obama/Biden combo may make short-order of that.......... :bang:
Please don't tell me that besides your guns, they'll take away the two strokes too!!?? :yikes:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
endurotuff said:
Please don't tell me that besides your guns, they'll take away the two strokes too!!?? :yikes:
Welcome to America! Government spends so much time and money trying to protect us from ourselves. :| I think they've lost sight of the reason for life, HAVIN' A LIL' F U N! :)

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
I just can't seem to ever get it in my head that these little single cylinder 2-strokes put out all that much pollution. Especially when you compare to big diesel 18 wheelers when they get on the gas and there's huge clouds of black smoke pouring out on every single roadway across the US, everyday (and night) of the week. And it's not like dirtbikes are commuter vehicles on the road and running all the time everyday of the week. What does the average person do? Ride their dirtbike a few hours on the weekends and sometimes let them sit for weeks without riding? Yes there's people that do ride almost everyday, but I still think the majority of bike owners are more of a once a week(end) rider. I still can't see pollution output of dirtbikes amounting to anything significant.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Since the 4-stroke appears to be all that is bought (and therefore all that is sold) this thread will lean more in the 4T favor the older it gets. Unless...

this economy makes us choose what is realistically affordable to buy and maintain.
Back to the real world!
Simple is good IMO.

Top Bottom