Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
I've had a TTR 250 for 4 years. Overall, I've been pretty happy with it. It was my first dirt bike and I've ridden it pretty hard in those 4 years.

I'm starting to race enduros and want to move to something more competitive.

I am considering one of the 4-stroke 250s (WR,CRF, KTM) or maybe a kdx220.

I think I'd be happy with any of the 4-strokes and if I go that route will probably just look for the best deal.

I'm not sure what the allure of the KDX is. Must be the history and reputation of that bike. It isn't really that much lighter than the 4-strokes, but it is quite a bit cheaper, especially used (seem to be a lot of used ones out there).

Are 2 strokes that much harder to ride in the woods than a 4 stroke? Is it just a matter of learning to use the brakes?

I plan to keep the TTR as a dual-sporter and extra bike.

I'd rather not spend a bunch of cash, but am willing to to get the right bike. Yamaha has a 0-0-0 deal that would keep me from paying a dime until Dec 05 that is a bit enticing.

I'm not looking for anyone to make my decision for me, just shoot of your thoughts.

confused...
Mag

trojanskin

Sep 18, 2004
I would go kdx. I know 2 people with em that moved up from 4 strokes, and couldnt be happier. One is very involved in enduros, the bike is extrememly competitive in stock form. Cant go wrong with that kdx,

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
The KDX is just a good all around bike that has a good reputation for reliability and hopping up. There cheaper new and extremely cheaper used. Used ones are just as good since the bike hasn't been changed majorly for 9 yrs.

You may feel that you have to use the brakes more because the 4 strokes have what I like to call the 'jake brake' effect. You should get used to it after riding it for a few hours in different types of terrian. The main difference is you can use the power band and get on the pipe going up hills and in sand and mud. The 2 stroke may require a bit more throttle and clutch control. This is why I think everyone should learn on or at least ride a 2 stroke. It teaches more riding skills. On a 4 stroke you can ride up a hill w/ no run @ just above idle all the way. Nothing against 4 strokes, they are good bikes and are fun to ride, but also easier to ride. Kind of like the motorcycle vs. quad issue.

If you go 4 stroke a WR or CRF/X would work. I would stay away from a 250 2 stroke(MX) as a first time enduro racer. KTM EXC's are good bikes too but are top of the like in price.

Good luck w/ your choice!

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
I'm thinking used KDX may be the way to go.

This would give me a chance to experience riding a 2 stroke. I think there is only one way to find out if I'd like it better and that is to ride one for a season.

If I like it great. The bikes have a great following and lots of mods are available.

If not, then I can turn around and probably sell it for what I paid, which would not be the case with a new 4 stroke.

Thanks for the input. I still haven't decided, but once I do, I'll post my decision.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
I had a 01 KDX, and it was ok. I ended up sticking a bunch of money in mods on it. what do you weight?? This would be the first question in deciding what to buy. Yes, a 2-stroke will be cheaper to maintain, but I wouldnt just jump to a KDX I come in at 230lb, and the KDX had a problem with me on steep hills. lots of clutch work, and wheel spin to make it. I'm not knocking the KDX, but it's just not enough of a bike change from your TTR.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
gnarlykaw said:
but it's just not enough of a bike change from your TTR.

What do you mean not enough bike change? A WR/CRFX250 would be hardly any bike change besides inproved suspension, handling, and power. And I think a 200 2stroke would have a bit more zip than a 250 4stroke. He's rode for a TTR250 for 4 years, he may not need a major change in size. BTW what is your height & weight, Magellan.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
your right, the smoker will have more zip, but not much down low. what I meant was most folks move up to a larger displacement. what will the bike be used for??

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
....I don't know, but I got a 220 and if you change pipe/silencer, get rid of the kick stand, and pull off the odo..well the weight of the bike just dropped about 20lbs....and this would be a step-up from a ttr250....about 50% more hp in kdx w/ some minor mods....regardless of what you get...revalve of suspension is a must....good luck with it....

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
My stats

160 lb, 5'9".

I've started riding enduros (C class for now).

Problems I have with my TTR 250 are:

1) Suspension. Myabe I can fix this by having it set up correctly by someone like MX Tech. I feel like it is sluggish and sloppy. I've stiffened it up a bit by adjusting it a few clicks, and that has helped, but the bike does not react as quickly as I would like. I sometimes feel like I am just pgo-ing down the trail.

2) Weight. The bike weighs something like 260 lbs. I know a kdx comes in around 220, but I figure I can shave some pounds witha pipe. I may just add them back with armor, but it would still be less than my TTR.

3) Responsiveness. I don't necessarily feel that I don't have enough power. I think the suspension issue and my riding ability keeps my from getting the most out of the engine. This may be a tuning issue, or just a 4-stroke issue, but the bilke has a definiite hesitation off idle that bugs me. I've gotten used to riding with it, but still notice it.

I want something that will be more competitive. I feel like I work harder than I need to in a race due to my bike's wieght and slow response.

The WR and DRF are race bikes and will surely give my the suspension upgrades I'm looking for. The KDX, while not a race bike out of the dealership, offers a lot of potential from what I've read. I don't think I'm interested in trying to deal with a MX 2-stroke in the woods. I'm used to the 4 storke power, and the kds just seems to be the 2-stroke that is closest to that.

OK, I'l admit it...I love the smell of 2-strokes. Must be all those years riding an RD.

Bottom line. I want to be faster in the woods. Now I realize that I have a lot of skill building to do as a rider, but I am starting to feel like I'm out growing the TTRs potential.

My latest post on the kdx is somewhat of an econmical one. I figure I can get one to try out without to o much investment.

Though my wife keeps telling me to just get the bike I want/need. My problem is I'm not sure what that is.

I can get an 04 WR for $5200 from my local dealer, which seems like a fair price, but I'd have to make payments. But the point here is to just determine what bike I should get regardless of cost.

Thanks for all the help.

Magellan

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
...the other day I was riding w/ a kid who is a better rider than me...I had a kdx220 he was on a 01kx250...my kdx is so so sweet in the woods, suspension is perfect of me...and I mean perfect, the frt and rear is balanced just right...anyways in the woods I competley smoked the kid on the 250....I would have to stop so he wouldn't get left behind...several times....anyways, again suspension is the key...yeah you could send out your ttr250s forks and shock for revalve and I bet you would be alot faster....I know guys who will pass you like you're standing still in the woods, and they ride xr250's!!...

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
I think you should get at 250 2stroke mx bike and just gear it down and get some mods that would benefit in the low end power. I think you will be happier that way.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom