wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
OK, the owners manual says 10W40 motor oil for the tranny, but the guy at the dealer said Bel-Ray's 80W "Gear Saver" is a good bet.

80W seems much heavier than 10W40. What do you guys/girls run in your bike's transmission???

Sorry for these newbie questions, I just don't want to mess up my new bike!

dead

Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Apr 28, 2003
The Search feature is your friend. It'll save you a lot of time.

I tried Mobil1 10w40 (non synth) and hated it. Right now Castrol 10w40 is working like a charm. No accidental nuetral hits thus far.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I am currently using ATF Type F (cheap stuff from Wal Mart)
So far no problems. I change my oil after every ride or 2. I've tried all os the above and had good luck with those too.
Just change it a lot and you'll be just fine.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I do like the Wolfster and use typeF ATF. I like it becasue it's cheap and works great. I also use ATF in forks, juice clutch, and on toast. :)
Like anything else you can use differnt brands and not hurt your bike. You may find something that suits you and your bike better than anything else. But like Wolf said...change it often and you 'n bike will be happy.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
The BelRay is good but some KDX'ers have trouble with the clutch plates not slipping enough when starting in gear....meaning they can't get the bike started unless it is in neutral. A heavy gear oil could cause this. I use Mobil 1 15w50 with good results.

Johnnyboy

Aug 25, 2001
I had really knotchy shifting with 80w Bel Ray and I have heard of many others not liking it for that reason. But I've heard good things about Honda's gear oil (in the tall red bottle) never tried motor oil. I used type F ATF in my old KDX200 and it seems to be slipping into neutral a bit now. COuld just be getting worn. ATF will boil over long before you can cook off your clutch plates so it's good insurance if you're not racing. As soon as it cools it works fine again.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
It's too early to pass judgement, but...

I put Castrol 10W-40 synthetic motor oil in the tranny immediately after the break in and put about 20 miles on the bike. I didn't dog it mind you, but the transmission was silky smooth.

Right around the 30 mile point (new bike) I rediscovered Bel-Ray Gear Saver, and assuming it was better than the motor oil I was using, I replaced the tranny oil with the Gear Saver. Maybe I'm crazy, but the shifting doesn't seem as smooth now. I'll give it a little longer, but I may go back to the Castrol synthetic motor oil.

Oh well, seems like everyone has their own opinion on this...

Top Bottom