Trouble starting Warmed up 4 stroke (crf 450)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
Man, Today was the 2nd time (this is only the 2nd time I took the bike out) that I rode the bike for a while and turned it off, and had a VERY VERY hard time restarting it (this time I was NEVER able to kick it over, only way I got it started was to push start it). After that, when I went to start it, if I didn't let it sit long, usually it started right up.

Here is what I did. Turn off bike and talk to buddy for a few minutes, then try to restart like this:

Few kicks with the hot start button with NO throttle, no luck

Few kicks with NO hot start, with NO throttle, NO luck

Few kicks with the hot start button, slight throttle, no luck

few kicks with NO hot start button, slight throttle, no luck

Then after a zillion kicks of combinations of ALL of these, no luck. Turn off the gas, lean bike over (to drain carb), turn gas back on, and try all of the above again, NO FREAKIN LUCK.

This is my 1st 4 stroke, so it is frustrating. The bike Always starts in the 1st 3 kicks when it is cold. What am I doing wrong?

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I will assume you have it set up to idle.

I would check to be sure the air filter isn't over-oiled.

Try turning the fuel screw in a quarter turn.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
Vic said:
I will assume you have it set up to idle.

I would check to be sure the air filter isn't over-oiled.

Try turning the fuel screw in a quarter turn.

Vic, thanks for your help (I don't have an owners manual, I bought the bike used, and he lost it, so I need to learn what the fuel screw is located and how to dial it in. Also, yes, after this episode I did adjust the idle screw, it help to make it not stall, but for some reason the problem has always been when I actually turned the bike off for a litte while to rest or enjoy the scenery, etc....Would the idle screw effect starting it?

I am assuming I flooded it really bad somehow?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
rodHWould the idle screw effect starting it? I am assuming I flooded it really bad somehow?[/QUOTE said:
Rod.

Yes, the idle screw can affect starting.

If you flood the bike it can be cleaned out by holding the throttle wide open while holding the kill button, then kick it over about 8-12 times. Release the throttle and kill button and try again.

If you haven't checked the valve clearance yet, you might want to do that. Tight valves will cause a hard starting condition especially on a warm engine. Push starting the bike and running it that way will cause damage to your valves and head.$$$$$$$ :ohmy:

I highly recommend getting a manual. Money well spent.

Just my $ .02

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
Ol'89r said:
Rod.

Yes, the idle screw can affect starting.

If you flood the bike it can be cleaned out by holding the throttle wide open while holding the kill button, then kick it over about 8-12 times. Release the throttle and kill button and try again.

If you haven't checked the valve clearance yet, you might want to do that. Tight valves will cause a hard starting condition especially on a warm engine. Push starting the bike and running it that way will cause damage to your valves and head.$$$$$$$ :ohmy:

I highly recommend getting a manual. Money well spent.

Just my $ .02

the weird thing is, is that it isn't hard to start all the time (when warm or cold) that is why I tend to think the valves are OK. I bought it and it only had been riden a few times.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
btw, after I adjusted the idle screw, obviosly it didn't stall, but it did seem to start better the couple times I tried, but the bike didn't sit long. my buddy on his KTM was having a rough time a few times yesterday, maybe it was just the weather (j/k). Maybe the idle screw is/was the answer?

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
rodH said:
the weird thing is, is that it isn't hard to start all the time (when warm or cold) that is why I tend to think the valves are OK. I bought it and it only had been riden a few times.

CHECK THE VALVES!!:bang:

Unless you are telopathic, you can think all you want and still won't know what the clearance is.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
I don't have the tools or undrstanding to CHECK the valves, so I am trying the easy things 1st (obviously).

HERE IS THE UPDATE-Just started it COLD. CRAAAAAAP!!!! It took sooo many kicks to start it cold this time. I turned the gas on and the choke on and worked on it for 15 min or so, and tried to kick it over (using the "give it gas a few times" before you try and start it). Having the gas and choke on so long and also doing that must have flooded it (again)? I did the EXACT same thing on my dads TRX450 (same engine), so obvsiouslyy I am NOT doing something right. I also think I had the idle screw where it was idling to fast, amybe that was the issue on cold start?

As it warmed up, I idled it for 15 min, rode around the block a bunch of times to get it hot. Then I would kill it, and restart it.....NO PROBLEM (maybe it wasn't as HOT as when I was riding, or maybe I was just being very CAREFUL NOT to give it gas). It started on the 1st KICK everytime when it was warm.

I think I am getting closure to understanding how to start it, but it is still frustrating.

I also realized now that I should NEVER give it gas when starting, my KTM buddy said to, and maybe he does so, and that is why he has trouble starting his bike to :) ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom