madmike90

Aug 3, 2007
_JOE_ said:
Not a big deal. Go pick up some new studs and nuts, I'd get all four, and a gasket set. You'll need a stud puller for the broken ones, Sears should have it. Why does it look like the smaller cover on the side is cracked at the bottom?

because it is cracked whatever happened really wreaked some havoc :yikes:

i pulled the cracked power valve cover off and the nut for the other stud was off and laying in there with the threads completely pulled out of it.

i pulled the jug and the piston, jug, rings and crank all are spotless so it doesnt look like any damage was done, but still gonna mic everything and make sure.

the stud that snapped was the pain to get out. it was too mangled on top to get 2 nuts on and turn it out so i had to use the torch to heat up the crankcase and vice grip it out

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Sounds to me like they were over torqued. If your torque wrench is old you might want to consider having it calibrated.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Torque wrench? On the cylinder base studs? Get a much shorter box end wrench? I do not even recall a head stud ever doing that, the nut usually strips out. Even a stretched stud strips first? That stud appears to have been attacked by aluminum **** roaches! Very rare indeed? Vintage Bob

madmike90

Aug 3, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Torque wrench? On the cylinder base studs? Get a much shorter box end wrench? I do not even recall a head stud ever doing that, the nut usually strips out. Even a stretched stud strips first? That stud appears to have been attacked by aluminum **** roaches! Very rare indeed? Vintage Bob

yea weird stuff lol.

i was using an open end torque wrench and its possible that my wrench can be out inaccurate but snapping off is not something i figured would happen.

i thought it would pull the studs and if not then break the base of the jug. but well, something new every day.

another day, another set of problems!

by the way, everything mic'd out to be far within spec so it looks like not TOOO much damage was done.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
madmike90 said:
yea weird stuff lol.

i was using an open end torque wrench and its possible that my wrench can be out inaccurate but snapping off is not something i figured would happen.

i thought it would pull the studs and if not then break the base of the jug. but well, something new every day.

another day, another set of problems!

by the way, everything mic'd out to be far within spec so it looks like not TOOO much damage was done.
Sorry mods, **** who would have figured? The crank specing out is great news! No up and down play, and there should be some specs for the thrust washer clearances, the high priced and labor intense feeler gauge is priceless, about 180 dollars worth of parts by my count! You may want to change your screen name to Happy Mike? Check your silencer packing while you are down, all that unburnt fuel has likely saturated your packing. Vintage Bob

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The studs can get fatigued from being torqued too many times. Over time they'll weaken and then you overtorque it and it snaps. With a new stud and nut it's usually the nut that takes the hit and strips out like you thought it would.

Bob, you need to say cockroaches as on one word. :nod:

Top Bottom