crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
Used Bike on *bay

I have reciently got back into motocross due to a smokin deal that came my way. Anyhow just for kicks I was looking on *bay at used motocross bike. What I noticed was almost every bike that was NOT stock had the statement "Never raced" ..........OK then why do they have like every possible bolt on mod plus numbers on the sideplate? holy cow people must really think we are all really dumb. I'm just looking to see if anyone agrees,or not...all feedback welcome..

--------------------------------------------------------
:blah:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
My bike is far from stock, and it's never been raced. I guess I'm just a big liar though.

Plenty of people out there get all crazy with mods yet don't feel the need to show up at the track every saturday night.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
some of the most "blinged" bikes I've ever seen are never on a track or organized event...still gets lots of hours, just no more racing for this rider. Hell, I don't race at all anymore and lets just say I like to "accessorize", I still run my number on every bike I buy. Why? Because I can.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Never raced doesn't mean ridden gently. A detail sellers don't want you to know. 3 hour of non-racing practice is more brutal than 15 minutes of racing. I see a lot of people in practice that don't race.

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
I don't have numbers and the bike is all stock. BUT...I ride my bike as hard as I can through what ever terrain lays before me. I usually keep a bike for 5+ years. Oh...and its never been raced.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
WOW guys,I never looked at it that way,that was what i needed.

My ad will read..........
Occasionly raced,had the holy crap ran out of it. Not a easy minute on it, never slow,hauls ass(as if everybodys bike like mine doesnt) kinda dirty,stickers blown off from pressure washer,thousands of six gear wheelies and powerslides. Starts and runs great. come by and flog it for yourself.

starting bid .08 cents

:aj:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Even if it's not raced, a bike is not complete without numbers. Just adds that little something to it. My mom raced one time and still ran her numbers when she went back to trail riding.

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
Even if it's not raced, a bike is not complete without numbers

I disagree MXGirl230. The number plates are the perfect place to showcase all the stickers you get when buying replacement parts and suspension service. ;)

Starts and runs great. come by and flog it for yourself.

crazy4nitro, that is an great description :nod:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Green Horn said:
My bike is far from stock, and it's never been raced. I guess I'm just a big liar though.

Plenty of people out there get all crazy with mods yet don't feel the need to show up at the track every saturday night.

You gotta ride it to RACE it ... :nener:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I put "raced and crashed regularly" in one of my for sale ads and nobody bought it. I would imagine the "never raced" would have worked better.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
trakkerman said:
I disagree MXGirl230. The number plates are the perfect place to showcase all the stickers you get when buying replacement parts and suspension service. ;) :

Yeah this is true...Mine just go on the rear fender. With anything but numbers on the plates I would feel free stylerish. I'm an accidental freestyler, not an on purpose one.

I believe I still hold the record for the world's lowest flying "Superman Seat Grab". :)

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
With anything but numbers on the plates I would feel free stylerish.

:yikes: Doh! I never thought of that. :bang: Time to change my MO....I'm covering the scratches...yeaaaahhhh, that's it, covering the scratches.

Or maybe I could kick it up a notch...I wonder if I could get one of those phat rear spoiler wingy things used on import cars and modify it to fit on my bike?

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
trakkerman said:
I wonder if I could get one of those phat rear spoiler wingy things used on import cars and modify it to fit on my bike?

NOW your thinkin! :nener: While you're at it you could get some spinners. They do make them for bicyles now, so they could probably be modified for a bike.. ;)

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
trakkerman said:
I wonder if I could get one of those phat rear spoiler wingy things used on import cars and modify it to fit on my bike?
I put one on an old Honda street bike once. It rod funny, but I bet I could have taken off a few heads with it. Took it off 20 minutes later, too ricer. :)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
MXGirl230 said:
I believe I still hold the record for the world's lowest flying "Superman Seat Grab". :)

Was the bike horizontal or vertical? You get extra points if it was horizontal :nod:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Actually it was horizontal. Does it matter if I didn't make it to climbing back on and completing the jump?

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
trakkerman said:
I was thinking about installing a set of frillies on the end of my bars. It might help appeal to the Harley crowd when I sell it.

:) I know where you can get some pretty pink and purple ones. They even have tiny little flowers at the top :laugh:

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
Once my silencer fell off in the woods and I couldnt find the screw. :blah: ..........
anyway I rode back to the truck with it off. Holy cow was it loud! Now that I think about it the bike sounded like the "kazoo" cars of today..... :aj: the only diff, was that I didnt pay for that crappy sound.

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
MXGirl230 said:
Even if it's not raced, a bike is not complete without numbers. Just adds that little something to it. My mom raced one time and still ran her numbers when she went back to trail riding.

hmm. i believe just the opposite. i race 8-10 times each year, and i take the numbers off as soon as the race is over. i think they look kinda poser-ish.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
velosapiens said:
hmm. i believe just the opposite. i race 8-10 times each year, and i take the numbers off as soon as the race is over. i think they look kinda poser-ish.

It's only poserish if you are a poser. I am an AMA member and my number is the last three digits of my AMA card.Iit's not just some made up number. I don't get to race a lot anymore, but I still run my numbers. I can't afford to order pre-printed numbers when I decide I don't want to look like a "poser" anymore...

I've been looking at bikes on that certain site today. Some of the ads are hilarious. Just a few things I found "bike has a powerband",
"bike has been babied"-shows pic from the front of the bike and the handguard on the clutch side is hanging down. Would look better if they were off...
"bike is in excellent condition"-missing front number plate, brake lever is curled, pipe has HUGE dent

Last edited:

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
As has been pointed out on this forum before in a similar thread, bikes that are raced often get much better maintenance and upkeep than some that haven't. It depends on the racer or race team and how good they were with maintaining their equipment. On the other hand, many bikes that are never raced are also never maintained...depending on the owner and their knowledge and willingness to do maintenance...preventative and repairs.

stevet

Jan 11, 2005
tired of used bikes listed as "like new" !

just need to vent a bit........been looking to get an 01 or 02 RM250, or perhaps a CR250.......

been to look at a few that the ad said "like new" or "great" condition.....

now I know it only takes a ride or two and a bike will look a little used, but too many people are listing bikes as "showroom condition" when they are not even close...

went to look at an 02 RM250 that the guy said on the phone he had ridden only a few times and it was in great shape....well he made of only ridden it a few times, but it looked like he had tried to do some backflips and didn't make it!....the bike was really thrashed...broken clutch lever, rear fender bent, plastic in real bad shape...and another bike, the guy had crashed it trying to do a triple...but still said the bike was "like new condition".... :yikes:

oh well, then I see some great looking bikes at what seems to be a good price (at least compared to the 02 two-strokes in calif...last of the green sticker years for 2-strokes...) and they are located out of state...

ok, done venting :ahhh:

Last edited by a moderator:

dante

Mar 24, 2004
"Never Raced" is another favorite... Personally I'd rather buy a used race bike in some situations... Racers tend to put good parts on, and take care of their bikes... Like new is very annoying...

Top Bottom