bnt5

May 23, 2001
I am in need of new front springs and I would like a stiffer ride. I ride all woods/trails and I weigh 215 lbs, what would be the proper size for my 92 KDX200?

thanks
Bill

mmmbeergood

Jan 22, 2003
I'm 190 without gear, and I found that oem kawasaki springs, 1 step stiffer than stock (there are only 3 weights, the middle one is stock) worked well. Don't ask me the kg/mm cause I don't know, I got 'em on e-bay for a steal, I have the compression damping turned 3 clicks in, so you should be fine at, 8-12 or so in, but that's all your fine tuning.

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
This is some info I got off off www.frpoffroad.com

FORKS
1989-1992 "E" Models: I have found that the stock forks work pretty well for most riders that weigh less than 140lbs. I recommend replacing the stock springs with a .33kg SPRING for riders that weigh between 140-170lbs, a .35kg SPRING for riders weighing between 170-210lbs and a .38kg SPRING for riders weighing over 210lbs. For each of these weight categories I recommend setting the clickers between 6-12 clicks out.

SHOCKS!
1989-1994 "E" Models: The stock spring seems to work well for riders between 150-200lbs. For riders weighing over 200lbs I would recommend replacing the stock spring with a 4.8kg SPRING and set the sag at 3.75-4". The type of terrain you are riding will determine the correct compression and rebound settings. I recommend setting the compression adjuster (located at the top of shock) at about 6 clicks out for faster terrain and 12 clicks out for the slower more technical terrain. The rebound adjuster (located at the bottom of the shock) should be set from 8 clicks out for faster terrain up to 14 clicks for the more technical stuff.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
There is more to choosing a spring than the kg rating. What length spring are you going to use? If you are going with a stock length, FRP’s suggested springs will work well. However, if you want to reduce or remove the very large spacers in the forks you will need a stiffer spring.

Some have gone with XR400 springs. These are full-length springs and only require a 5 to 10mm spacer for proper preload (do a search on this subject, it is well documented). These springs are .40kg and at your weight you are at the very top of the serviceable range.

I’m 180 pounds and I went with .42kg springs (full length without any preload) however I revalved my forks to make use of the stiffer springs. The reason I went with such a heavy spring is I like a very plush ride but I obviously don’t want to bottom-out the forks. Revalving the forks allowed me to go with a very heavy spring while retaining the soft KDX ride.

Top Bottom