RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Maybe I was caught napping, but what happened to David Bailey? In May 2002 he called the Supercross Finals in Las Vegas, and if my memory serves me right he was walking around.

Now, lately I've seen him in print and video in a wheelchair. Did I miss something? I don't remember hearing anything about him getting hurt or medical related.

Just today, I watched the Phoenix Supercross from 1/11/03 and they had him sitting on a 4 wheeler, to bring him up to the other announcers height, I'm guessing. Hhhhmmm.........

If anyone has any info, I am curious to know.

Signed,
Wondering. :eek:

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
RJ, I had the Misfortune of watching Bailey crash 5 feet in front of me. It was a Golden state national in 87 ( I think, memory sucks) in practice. There was a short low double ( about 30 feet) right out of a tight left hander. You could double it easy from the way outside, but it was super hard to make from the inside line which was obviously faster. David passed me comming into the turn, which was fine for me because I knew he was doing it from the inside so I was going to follow him over it if I felt I could make it as well. I didn't get the drive I needed so I didn't jump it, but he did and came up short and cased it and went over the bars. The crashed looked like no big deal, kind of one of those slow motion endo types of deal with the bike pile driveing him into the ground with the seat square on his back. I didn't think much of it, but I came around the next lap and he was still laying there with a couple people around him. Still not thinking much of it, I came around the next lap and there was a bunch of people around him and he still hadn't moved yet and I knew something wasn't good, figured he broke his leg or arm or something. That lap they red flagged the practice and rumor started floating around the pits that he was paralized. No one could believe it, and the rest of the day everyone was somber and shocked. Watching that happen right in front of me to one of my idols really jacked me up for a while, he was one of the smoothest riders to this day, I'm still super bummed about it.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Very sad. I think DB is probably one of the coolest most inspirational people I've ever seen. I had a crash that involved the same type of result(motorcycle pumuling me in the back) and I will now always thank god above that I didn't have the same thing happen. Cudos to Mr.Bailey for continuing to be an inspiration for all. RJ-KDX David won a triathalon two yrs ago and continues to compete. Thats one impressive man;)

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I agree with Bryan.  Read the pages on DB's site about his Ironman Triathalon performances.  The guy is unbelievable.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
My bad guys. You'll have to excuse me, I've only been watching and riding for a little over a year now. I must have confused him with someone else. You have to be real careful out there, you never know when something might happen. He sounds like a trooper to me. My hat is off to him. :thumb:

Last edited:
Top Bottom