Whats the best way to clean parts?

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
I don't have a parts washer, so I need to use gas on things like linkage bearings and other parts. When I try to use latex rubber gloves the gas goes right through them Are there any gloves that withstand gas? Any good solvents that don't harm hands so much?

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Simple green works great for getting dirt and grease off of external surfaces and engines(with some scotch brite pad scrubbing). The best part, it is fully biodegradable.

For linkage bearings, I use brake cleaner or electrical cleaner and a rag. It works very well. You can make a parts washer. Use a 5 gallon bucket and make a screen to go about 2 inches from the bottom. THen use castrol superclean. Work great and is portable.

Hope I helped!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I would discourage you from using gasoline. It is way too flamable. Use kerosene or diesel. The flash point is lower. It is best to use a good solevent like those mentioned above.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I found this stuff at Target, It's call CD-2 ,it comes in a package of two cans, the Silver can is a degreaser and the Black is a detailer. The silver can is the best degreaser I have ever used on parts on or off the bike,but avoid spraying the chain, I have no idea what it would do to it. It is worth a try IMO

MRRMX

Nov 24, 1999
I like mineral spirits. low flash point cleans fast and doesnt leave that dry gritty feeling gas does.I look for low oder type its like 1.99 a gallon I have 2 containers one for heavy grease and oily parts and a cleaner tub of used mineral spirits. It dries fast on the air filters.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by Buzz Bomb
Does it cut grease and spooge? Where can you buy it?

Yes, it will de-grease anything. It is basically paint thinner I think but not as harsh. Check at your local hardware store or building supply store. I pay about $6 (Canadian) for a 4 Liter jug.

Top Bottom