acesnkush

Apr 29, 2006
Me and a bud are planning to go ride this weekend. But as everyone knows it is freaking hot right now. We just started riding in Nov, so havent expeirence the desert summer riding. Is it not even worth riding when it is really hot?? Where is the best place to.. Gorman?? Also, where do most people ride inn the summer that kinda escapes the heat... When I fish up in mammoth in the summer, I see a lot of rvs and stuff at Jawbone... How does that place get?

loaner

Feb 6, 2006
Haven't been to jawbone. If you want to stay cool and are riding an 01. That green sticker will allow you all over Big Bear. Thats usually cool summer riding. I used to camp Gorman in the summer when I lived in OC.

CRF_Tom

Jun 16, 2005
I have riden out at Charlies place (red mtn) this time of year last year. Temps in the 80's. Warm, but not blistering hot.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Jawbone is just starting to get warm (hot for some people but not blistering). Just in past Jawbone are the Piutes, you can camp at 6,000' or so and be almost guaranteed not to die of heat exhaustion. Better riding too!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Kennedy Meadows. Take a warm jacket. :cool:

Ol'89r

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Kennedy Meadows is the coolest place and has the best riding. By far.

I'll be there early Sunday morning. Not camping, though. Just day tripping and riding the trails near the western part of the riding area.

acesnkush

Apr 29, 2006
Also can you fish and also ride in kennedy meadows, whats an ideal campground for it, also are spark arresters STRICKTLY enforced like lets say at Gorman?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I was riding up there this weekend and one of my buddies was back packing/fishing with his friends. He said the fishing was awesome. All golden trout with one rainbow at close to 8,000'. They also said it got COLD at night.

We are from Bakersfield so we come in from the west side, on Sherman Pass Road, which starts about 20 miles north of Kernville. In a pick-up, it takes just over 2 hours to get to a good camping/staging area from Bakersfield. Much longer if you are towing. From LA, most people come in from the east and stage at Troy Meadows. Not sure how long a drive that is from LA.

Here is a trail map and a links you can follow for more info.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/recreation/ohv-osv/cm/cm_ohv_map.html

More: http://www.kernvalley.com/news/platohv.htm#Directory

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Well, for the 3rd weekend in a row, I forced myself to go to Kennedy Meadows.

We did about 70 miles, almost all true single track. Most areas had recently been rained on by scattered showers. Some places had light dust; more places were damp or slightly muddy.

We were staged at 8800' near Sherman Pass Road.

Leaving the area at 3:00 pm on Saturday, both trucks in our group showed a thermometer reading of 55 degrees. It was cooling as a rain was coming in. It was probably 70 degrees earlier in the day.

Attachments

• resize PICT0004.jpg
    resize PICT0004.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 143
  • resize PICT0005.jpg
    resize PICT0005.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 154
  • resize ICT0008.jpg
    resize ICT0008.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Top Bottom