jdon88

Apr 23, 2004
Hi all. I've been reading up on reed valves since I'm going to replace mine soon. This is for a '92 WR200 that has the original reeds in it. From what I have read here it sounds like a dual stage reed would be good for me, need a little more power on the low end. I see Boyesen makes a 'power reed', 'super stock' and a few others. Which one is a dual stage, each catalog and web site that I go to says different things about them. Chaparrel says the 'super stock' is a dual stage but denniskirk says its a single. DK says the 'power reed' is a dual stage, which one should I get?

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
we run the power reeds in our 92 wr200... seems to help. altho be nice to get ride of that boat anchor they call a pipe...

jdon88

Apr 23, 2004
Thanks for the info. I don't have the stock pipe, the bike came with FMF Fatty pipe and a DG Type II silencer. The bike has plenty of power for climbing hills at low rpm but I have trouble getting the front end in the air for jumps, clearing puddles, logs, etc. The front comes up easily when revving high but at low rpm the throttle response is slow. I'm still trying to get the jetting right, it seems to be too rich. Did you notice any difference with the power reed compared to stock?

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
if you have some extra cash i would buy a carbon fiber reed over a dual stage plastic one anyday.. they are a lot more sensative then the dual stage... there's a small noticable gain... my guess is if your current reeds arn't mating to the reed cairage then you'll notice a ton when going to dual stage. also i would recomend checking the cables on the PV (powervalve) after time they stretch and you start losing power without even noticing it...

if it was me i would:
1.) get 1 size bigger pilot jet (balance out the main)
2.) get carbon fiber reeds (I.E the boyesen rad valve reed, or V-force 3's)
3.) add 1 tooth to the rear sprocket

that should help liven it up even more...

jdon88

Apr 23, 2004
MX86 - I checked the PV adjustment and it is OK. I went with 1 tooth smaller front sprocket and it made things better. Bigger pilot? I was thinking about a smaller pilot. So far I have dropped the needle as far as it will go, went with a 190 main (stock is supposed to be 200, the bike came with a 210). I'm not fouling plugs but they come out black and sooty. I ride mainly in an old coal mining area, lots of rocky hills, woods and water holes so I'm usually 3/4 throttle or less. Occasionly I get to open it up in clear areas.

Kawicam - thanks for your input.

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
bigger pilot allows for more air.. you have too much gas flowin in to not enough air is my assumption... i have the stock main in our's with needle on 3 and one pilot bigger.

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
MX86 said:
bigger pilot allows for more air.. you have too much gas flowin in to not enough air is my assumption... i have the stock main in our's with needle on 3 and one pilot bigger.

A bigger pilot jet will flow more GAS not AIR.

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
Ae you talking about the pilot jet or main jet?

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
the 'super stock' reeds are just stock replacement reeds ment to work just like "new "stock reeds the power reeds (dual stage reeds) are to increase performance and the carbon power reeds are meant to increase performance even more.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I've got 2-stage reeds on my CR250. The power is strong and smooth, almost 4-stroke like. The engine has a strong low end and is very resitant to bogging. I can climb hills a gear higher than anybody else on 2-strokes. The bike will always break the rear tire loose if you hit the throttle, but it is so controlable.

jdon88

Apr 23, 2004
Just a follow up on this thread. I put a Boyesen "Power Reed" on when I did a top end rebuild last winter. The bike had much more acceleration and quicker throttle response than before. The old top end wasn't worn too bad so I think the Power Reed made a big difference.

Top Bottom