cstock

Apr 13, 2007
how can I temperarily quiet down my sons KTM 50 JR sx to practice on land near our house and then put it back to original for race day, thanks charlie

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Does it have the stock exhaust? Has the silencer been repacked lately? My son had one and it wasn't a very offensively loud bike. How far away are the neighbors?

Zipp0

Registered
Mar 5, 2007
cstock said:
how can I temperarily quiet down my sons KTM 50 JR sx to practice on land near our house and then put it back to original for race day, thanks charlie

Tell your whiny neighbors to quiet their lawn mowers, weed wackers, chain saws, etc. What's the problem? Do you have a noise ordinance during the day in your town?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Zipp0 said:
Tell your whiny neighbors to quiet their lawn mowers, weed wackers, chain saws, etc. What's the problem? Do you have a noise ordinance during the day in your town?
There is some stupid advice. The items you listed are required to maintain the property. A loud dirt bike is not. That's just the kind of attitude that will be the end of riding for all all of us.

Zipp0

Registered
Mar 5, 2007
Okiewan said:
There is some stupid advice. The items you listed are required to maintain the property. A loud dirt bike is not. That's just the kind of attitude that will be the end of riding for all all of us.

I disagree. Noise is noise. Ever had a neighbor mowing his lawn at 6 am on Sunday? Now that is some inconsiderate behavior.

The fact is, unless there is a noise ordinance, you are COMPLETELY within your rights to ride on your property. I understand you wanting to be considerate, and that is good, but there are lots of other sources of neighborhood noise that can be just as annoying.

There are barking dogs, jackhammers, planes and helicopters overhead, cars, Harley Low riders, lawn mowers, police sirens, leaf blowers, and yes, sometimes dirt bikes.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Zipp0 said:
I disagree. Noise is noise. Ever had a neighbor mowing his lawn at 6 am on Sunday? Now that is some inconsiderate behavior.

The fact is, unless there is a noise ordinance, you are COMPLETELY within your rights to ride on your property. I understand you wanting to be considerate, and that is good, but there are lots of other sources of neighborhood noise that can be just as annoying.

There are barking dogs, jackhammers, planes and helicopters overhead, cars, Harley Low riders, lawn mowers, police sirens, leaf blowers, and yes, sometimes dirt bikes.
Yes noise is noise BUT being considerate will help prevent problems. Just because there is no noise ordinance does not mean you have free reign to make as much noise as you want. The disorderly conduct ordinance (which I would guess every state and municipality has a form) of would cover your noise.
No I would not be happy with a neighbor that mows at 6AM and I would put as end to it.
Your statement of "you are COMPLETELY within your rights to ride on your property" is also incorrect if it interferes with your neighbors right to enjoy their property in peace and quiet.
I commend Cstock for recognizing there is a problem and looking for ways to circumvent them.
In the past when we had a practice track in our yard my son wrote up a letter to all the neighbors explaining his interest in MX and that he would be practicing (allowed under ordinance within certain restrictions). The letter also stated the hours he would ride and that only those hours would be used. It also had our names and phone number so that if a neighbor was being disturbed they could call. My son also stated that if anyone had something planned during the hours he wished to ride and his riding would create a problem that they should call the day before and he would not ride.
We had no complaints and only 2 days that a neighbor asked he not ride because they had outdoor activities planned.

Be considerate of your neighbors and the majority will work with you

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
oldguy said:
Yes noise is noise BUT being considerate will help prevent problems. Just because there is no noise ordinance does not mean you have free reign to make as much noise as you want. The disorderly conduct ordinance (which I would guess every state and municipality has a form) of would cover your noise.
No I would not be happy with a neighbor that mows at 6AM and I would put as end to it.
Your statement of "you are COMPLETELY within your rights to ride on your property" is also incorrect if it interferes with your neighbors right to enjoy their property in peace and quiet.
I commend Cstock for recognizing there is a problem and looking for ways to circumvent them.
In the past when we had a practice track in our yard my son wrote up a letter to all the neighbors explaining his interest in MX and that he would be practicing (allowed under ordinance within certain restrictions). The letter also stated the hours he would ride and that only those hours would be used. It also had our names and phone number so that if a neighbor was being disturbed they could call. My son also stated that if anyone had something planned during the hours he wished to ride and his riding would create a problem that they should call the day before and he would not ride.
We had no complaints and only 2 days that a neighbor asked he not ride because they had outdoor activities planned.

Be considerate of your neighbors and the majority will work with you

this is good stuff, it is also advice that we all should, and sometimes must, follow, +1 :cool: .

MX GZR

Nov 8, 2001
Is it "legal" or is it "noise"??!! One mans music is another mans nusance no matter what time of day or activity. What message do we as dirt bikers want to send to non bikers?

Zipp0

Registered
Mar 5, 2007
kawicam250 said:
this is good stuff, it is also advice that we all should, and sometimes must, follow, +1 :cool: .

I agree that we need to be considerate, but in the end, don't allow yourself to get pushed around by whiny neighbors. From a legal perspective, noise is noise, despite the source, and disorderly conduct law does not apply to noise. If that were the case, you could have your neighbor arrested for running his chain saw.

Be considerate, and you will probably have no problems. If you are pushed though, push back, and push hard. We are doing nothing wrong riding dirt bikes, so don't send that message by acting like we are.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Zipp0 said:
I agree that we need to be considerate, but in the end, don't allow yourself to get pushed around by whiny neighbors. From a legal perspective, noise is noise, despite the source, and disorderly conduct law does not apply to noise. If that were the case, you could have your neighbor arrested for running his chain saw.

No offence zippo, but you really don't have a clue.

That is exactly the attitude that has cost us the right to ride on our own private property here in Riverside County. :|

Do you really think your City Council or County administrators give a crap about dirtbikes? To them, we are an annoyance and the easiest way to deal with it is to legislate against it.

We don't have the power to 'push back'. Especially when very few of us will take the time to attend these meetings and explain our side to them. How many meetings have you attended?

They passed a noise law in Riverside County with a very low decible limit. Chain saws, lawn mowers, tractors and everything but motorcycles are exempt. Don't think it cant happen in your area. :think:

mbaird

May 25, 2006
I agree that we must be curtious , but I gotta say that I am at
my limit with people that feel you should live your life exactly
as they live theirs. These people have no hobbies, seldom leave their house , never say hello etc...
I have an old power wagon sitting in my back yard that I have not used in several years. So I decided it is time to sell it.
As soon as I started it and pulled out into the driveway (11:00 am) one of the neighbors comes over shouting about how he is tired of hearing that thing every day and that he works until 3;00 am. and that this is not a trailor park.
I let him finished his rant and explained that this truck has not been started in the 2 yrs that i lived here.
You know, its amazing that he forgot about the 38" motorhome
that sits in his driveway during the summer , or that I had coached his daughter in soccer for a few years without so much as a thank you!

So as far as consideration goes , I think it is a 2 way street and
people need to let people live as long as they are not going out of their way to annoy.

Zipp0

Registered
Mar 5, 2007
Ol'89r said:
No offence zippo, but you really don't have a clue.

That is exactly the attitude that has cost us the right to ride on our own private property here in Riverside County. :|

Do you really think your City Council or County administrators give a crap about dirtbikes? To them, we are an annoyance and the easiest way to deal with it is to legislate against it.

We don't have the power to 'push back'. Especially when very few of us will take the time to attend these meetings and explain our side to them. How many meetings have youattended?

They passed a noise law in Riverside County with a very low decible limit. Chain saws, lawn mowers, tractors and everything but motorcycles are exempt. Don't think it cant happen in your area. :think:

Line up 25 lawn mowers on your lawn and run them all day. Invite some buddies over for a lumberjack competition with the loudest chain saws you can find. Host a tractor pull. Then, when someone complains, point them to the exemptions and tell the to scr#w off. Then go to some meetings and lobby for some changes. Yes, it seems extreme, but if they want to pass stupid laws, make them pay the price.

As far as what happened to you, that's too bad, but it's your responsibility to act to affect the laws in your locality, not mine. I promise you this though, when/if they decide to try to pass some stupid ordinance, I will be at that meeting, and so will my lawyer, as well as every motor sport enthusiast I can muster.

Zipp0

Registered
Mar 5, 2007
mbaird said:
As soon as I started it and pulled out into the driveway (11:00 am) one of the neighbors comes over shouting about how he is tired of hearing that thing every day and that he works until 3;00 am. and that this is not a trailor park.
I let him finished his rant

Wrong approach. Didn't you see Christmas Vacation? You are supposed to rev the engine and yell "What??!! Huh???!! Sorry, I can't hear you... this thing is freaking loud!!"

Just kidding, but I hate a-hole neighbors. I have been to court twice with one of them (his feral/wild cats keep biting my dogs in my yard) and so far no results from the legal system. I'd love him to complain about me for some reason. The DJ system is such a waste of time, it's funny.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Zipp0 said:
Line up 25 lawn mowers on your lawn and run them all day. Invite some buddies over for a lumberjack competition with the loudest chain saws you can find. Host a tractor pull. Then, when someone complains, point them to the exemptions and tell the to scr#w off. Then go to some meetings and lobby for some changes. Yes, it seems extreme, but if they want to pass stupid laws, make them pay the price.

As far as what happened to you, that's too bad, but it's your responsibility to act to affect the laws in your locality, not mine. I promise you this though, when/if they decide to try to pass some stupid ordinance, I will be at that meeting, and so will my lawyer, as well as every motor sport enthusiast I can muster.

As I said, not a clue. :coocoo:

Zipp0

Registered
Mar 5, 2007
Ol'89r said:
As I said, not a clue. :coocoo:

Saying "not a clue" is not a valid argument. It's simply an easy, lazy way to attempt to invalidate an opinion or method that you don't agree with.

Is that the attitude/method you used to fight the ordinances that forbid you from riding on your own property? Well, we know how well that worked.

Fight for your rights, or lose them - that is the bottom line. Cowering in your basement with jury-rigged muffler attachments is not the only answer.

mbaird

May 25, 2006
Nothing I did broke any laws . these people just feel that everyone should lead a lifestyle exactly like they do ,color of home ,quality of grass , type of car , etc...
When I was a kid all the neighbors knew each other , children played together
(outside) and everyone was different and if not apreciated at least respected
for their indivual interests. Some had perfectly maintained homes , others had old cars,
some entertained and some didn't. There were no neighborhood commitees stating
that all homes and people within had to meet the "cloning" requirements.

I feel that I am a very social person and accepting of everybodies differences, but
recently I find myself wanting to move to the middle of nowhere to get away from all the self rightious assholes that seem to be the norm in todays "me society"

Zipp0

Registered
Mar 5, 2007
Okiewan said:
Actually, it's a far better argument than the one you've presented here.

Well, you continue to fight your way and I'll continue to fight my way. The bottom line is, I can still ride on my property if I choose. I don't sit idly by when they try to pass a BS ordinance, and I don't take crap from whiny neighbors.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
we have whining neighbours too but tell them to cram it and get used to it as my dad and i are racing lawnmowers this year are straight piped and LOUD.

if your neighbours cant deal with it then tell them to move. its your property and you can do pretty much whatever you want to do on it.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
83MX80 said:
we have whining neighbours too but tell them to cram it and get used to it as my dad and i are racing lawnmowers this year are straight piped and LOUD.

if your neighbours cant deal with it then tell them to move. its your property and you can do pretty much whatever you want to do on it.

I am...flabbergasted, astounded, awe-struck, shocked, and speechless. People like you are a major encumbrance to our society. Don't you have any respect?

While you ride your lawn mowers :rotfl:, please hide the dirt bikes so that you don't "represent" us in any way. :coocoo:

Zipp0

Registered
Mar 5, 2007
83MX80 said:

Racing lawnmowers? :laugh: :laugh:

That's great - the neighbors call the cops - "They are running them damn lawmowers again!" Cops - "Er, what??"

People need to challenge these noise ordinances aimed at off road vehicles in court, especially when the bike is on their private property. If you lose, big deal, it's a small fine. But if you win, it's a win for everyone.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Zipp0 said:
Racing lawnmowers? :laugh: :laugh:

That's great - the neighbors call the cops - "They are running them damn lawmowers again!" Cops - "Er, what??"

People need to challenge these noise ordinances aimed at off road vehicles in court, especially when the bike is on their private property. If you lose, big deal, it's a small fine. But if you win, it's a win for everyone.
It's also a lose for everyone and our reputation as a whole. Smarten up and talk to your neighbor. If you can't come to a decent conclusion, then stop riding on your property and find a designated area like an MX track or pay what it costs to quiet down the bike.

You asked for solutions, we are giving you some.

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
While I dont agree with making as much noise as possible to piss off your neighbors. I also dont agree with cowering because you own a MX bike.

A little common sense goes a long ways.
There shouldn't be any noise ordanace that picks on one specific source of noise. It either passes or doesn't.

I like the idea of trying to quite it down and notifying your neighbors. Thats just plain curtious. But I would not be held hostage to a law that restricts my rights but not my neighbors. The lawnmower racing would start looking pretty good to me.

You have to repect your neighbors rights as much as your neighbor needs to repects yours.

Zipp0

Registered
Mar 5, 2007
nsxxtreme said:
While I dont agree with making as much noise as possible to piss off your neighbors. I also dont agree with cowering because you own a MX bike.

A little common sense goes a long ways.
There shouldn't be any noise ordanace that picks on one specific source of noise. It either passes or doesn't.

I like the idea of trying to quite it down and notifying your neighbors. Thats just plain curtious. But I would not be held hostage to a law that restricts my rights but not my neighbors. The lawnmower racing would start looking pretty good to me.

You have to repect your neighbors rights as much as your neighbor needs to repects yours.

Amen brother. Well said. :cool:

Top Bottom