XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Luddites buy 4 strokes Pred.
This coming from the guy with the late 70's RM open bikes . . . might as well have a KDX while you're at it :rotfl:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
XRpredator said:
This coming from the guy with the late 70's RM open bikes . . . might as well have a KDX while you're at it :rotfl:
Ain't no KDX ever smelled or burned that much 927, and did it crisply! Stopping is another matter. Yet, way better than the old 4 strokes!!!!! Luddites indeed?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Ain't no KDX ever smelled or burned that much 927, and did it crisply! Stopping is another matter. Yet, way better than the old 4 strokes!!!!! Luddites indeed?
The Luddites were a social movement of British textile artisans in the nineteenth century who protested – often by destroying mechanized looms – against the changes produced by the Industrial Revolution, which they felt was leaving them without work and changing their way of life. It took its name from the fictional King Ludd.

The movement should be seen in the context of the era's harsh economic climate due to the Napoleonic Wars, and the degrading working conditions in the new textile factories. The principal objection of the Luddites was to the introduction of new wide-framed automated looms that could be operated by cheap, relatively unskilled labour, resulting in the loss of jobs for many skilled textile workers. The movement began in 1811 and 1812, when mills and pieces of factory machinery were burned by handloom weavers, and for a short time was so strong that Luddites clashed in battles with the British Army. Measures taken by the British government to suppress the movement included a mass trial at York in 1812 that resulted in many executions and penal transportations.
The action of destroying new machines had a long tradition before the Luddites, especially within the textile industry. Many inventors of the 18th century were attacked by vested interests who were threatened by new and more efficient ways of making yarn and cloth. Samuel Crompton for example had to hide his new mule in the roof of his house at Hall i' th' Wood in 1779 to prevent it being destroyed by the mob.

In modern usage, "Luddite" is a term describing those opposed to industrialization, automation, computerization or new technologies in general.[1]
Industrialization = Yes
Automation = Yes
Computerization = Yes
New Technologies = Yes
Guess liking a 2 stroke doesn't make people Luddites, well, I least not me. I'll just stick to the less expensive bike, no harm, no foul.
Had a KDX as well. Anemic on the suspension but overall great motorcycle. If you've been on DRN for anytime, you should be able to jet a KDX even if you don't own one. I pretty much suspect that while a good majority of 2 stroke and 4 stroke MX bikes are getting a rebuild, the XR's and the KDX's will still be out on the trail with a rider that has a smile on his face and a few bucks left in his wallet.:)

Jun 25, 2010
Dirtdigger04 said:
It sucks that only Yamaha and KTM are continuing these 2 strokes, and everyone else quit.

Kawasaki is making some 2011 2 strokes. I don't know about Suzuki though.

I definatly want the two strokes to stay in production and I want Honda to bring a whole new line of them!

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Last I looked, Yamaha is still hanging in there. YZ250 probably best off-the-floor racer you can buy today. Just isn't going to hang with a 450 on a long straight.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Agreed to a lot of opinions, except Preds' and Juliens'. I know Pred has his ladle stirring the vat, and I would bet Julien has never raced 1 of those trail bike smokers on a mx track, expecting to fair well? If Kaw is still making them, GREAT! Or, anyone that wants a new bike, Yamadog or 13 or more grand and talk to some of the greatest people in the dirt, Service Honda. Why hardly no ktms' in the big bike classes at the mx track? I still am liking the idea of selling all my junk, and talking to AJ about that KX500AF. The currant thumpers are fun, easy to ride over your head, and every tool should own one at least once. Vintage Bob

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Bob, I'm just saying, options are out there. 2 stroke development continues in earnest from many other manufacturers. The Maico's are shaping up to look quite competitive. We will see how they fare for the next couple years. The new Maico's are not purpose built trail bikes, they are MX machines. Of course, they offer an enduro version as well..

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The purpose of an IC engine is to make power. The two stroke makes more of it from a smaller, lighter, and cheaper engine with less moving parts. This makes it an attractive option, so don't expect it to vanish anytime soon.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
It is a lot cheaper/easier to make a smoker, a decent trail bike than a competitive mx bike? I have NEVER understood why the Japanese do this by accident and the rest of the world flounders with over weight bikes that do not scream or handle? Enter Service Honda and why I need 13 thousand dollars to do this? I recall when my heart dropped when bikes went over 1 thousand dollars!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I bet I could train my dog to fly before I'll see another smoker on the podium at a pro national......not that I don't like 2 strokes, 4 strokes just work better at that level of competition. Off road and play bikes are a completely different story. Electrics are as likely to be competitive in the future as 2 strokes, both of which would be seriously cool to see make it!

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
I hope they're brought back & raced right .... on nitro ! RULES SCHMOOLS... :nener:..... :yikes:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
_JOE_ said:
I bet I could train my dog to fly before I'll see another smoker on the podium at a pro national......not that I don't like 2 strokes, 4 strokes just work better at that level of competition. Off road and play bikes are a completely different story. Electrics are as likely to be competitive in the future as 2 strokes, both of which would be seriously cool to see make it!

Simply because the AMA provides a 200CC handicap to the 4 stroke. :coocoo:

Lets see what happens with Project Two 50 at Unadilla.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Finally had to look up "luddite." I like destroying mechanized textile machinery and any motorcycle technology beyond the 1976 development of the 2-stroke motocross bikes !! Watch out for the old guy with the mini sledge all you fast-riding four-strokers with those high zoot "radiators," "monoshocks" and "inverted" forks.......... Blashphemy, I sayeth !!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The project 250 guy already tried once, or a reasonable facsimile? They need an even field, or MUCH better racer. 250 smoker against the 250f any guy without a cape can ride, fair enough.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
The project 250 guy already tried once, or a reasonable facsimile? They need an even field, or MUCH better racer. 250 smoker against the 250f any guy without a cape can ride, fair enough.

Nah, you can hardly count that. They broke the clutch cover on the bike in the first lap of practice. By the time they fixed the bike, they had 5 minutes left to get back on the track and qualify. He barely had one full lap in, and he did not get to open it up for a lap.
He's fighting an uphill battle, for sure. 250cc's vs 450cc's, and people like Pred running around screaming "Luddites". Lol, funny.

Anyway, we'll see in a few more days. I know I'll be watching...

AMA is never going to go for "equal displacement". It would be too swift an end to the 4 strokes. The Euro's would come out with 450 2 strokes, and everyone would have to switch in order to be competitive. I would rather lobby for lowering the handicap slightly. Say, let a 250 - 350 2t run with the 450 f's.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The 350 is going down the crapper, maybe a 400. I believe that it what started the return in the first place? Regardless, its a tools machine, thats all. Dropping the handi cap did not flood the amateur ranks with smokers. The new race organizers need to see the benefit?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
If the tide does turn back toward 2 strokes DRN will get flooded with threads about spooge and plug fouling. I've kinda enjoyed not seeing so many of them lately..... ;)

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
The 350 is going down the crapper, maybe a 400. I believe that it what started the return in the first place? Regardless, its a tools machine, thats all. Dropping the handi cap did not flood the amateur ranks with smokers. The new race organizers need to see the benefit?

Give it some time. Track design is still geared toward the fours, but things are slowly changing. More and more are finding it more affordable to compete on the 2 stroke.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
julien_d said:
Give it some time. Track design is still geared toward the fours, but things are slowly changing. More and more are finding it more affordable to compete on the 2 stroke.
Keep dreamin', you dreamers.

I just love these baseless statements of "fact" . . .

"Track design geared toward the fours . . ." -- pretty much the same tracks they've always been

"Euros come out with 450 two-strokes, and everyone would have to switch . . ." -- Yeah, Yamaha and Honda really give a crap what TM and Husqvarna are doing

"2 strokes will always rule." -- :rotfl:

keep dreaming, you dreamers. You're an inspiration to us all.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
weird how some only come out of hiding to post in every 2t --4t thread

Top Bottom