Won't start on first or second kick now

JTS016

Aug 12, 2009
Got my '03 220 about a month ago. When I first picked it up it would start first or second kick pretty much every time. Since then I have taken the carb of and cleaned it, replaced the plug (yes I did gap it :) ), mixed up some new gas 32:1 with Yamalube R, and changed the gear oil. Now she won't start on the first or second kick anymore. Sometimes takes me around 10 kicks. Once it's running it runs great, idles good and everything. Any suggestions?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Have you checked or replaced the reeds? If they are still factory I'd go ahead and put some boyesen 607's in. For the price it's a good performance upgrade anyway, and worn reeds can def make them a bit hard to start cold.

JTS016

Aug 12, 2009
Yeah, I'm using the choke. I need to try it a few more times, but I think the problem might be me. I hyperextended and fractured my right knee about a month and a half ago, so trying to kickstart the bike is prettty painful. I think I just haven't got my strength back in my leg yet. Because I walked around to the side of the bike and kicked it with my left leg standing up and it fired right up. So hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll have my knee/leg strong enough to kick it the real way.

Reeds would be good, actually, to my knowledge my bike is totally stock and original, so there's quite a few things I should/need to do to it.

JTS016

Aug 12, 2009
Something that really suprised me is that I could start it with my hand by leaning over the seat and giving it a few good shoves on the kick...gotta watch out for for the foot peg though Ouch!!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
JTS016 said:
Something that really suprised me is that I could start it with my hand by leaning over the seat and giving it a few good shoves on the kick...gotta watch out for for the foot peg though Ouch!!

Yikes. That should not be possible. Have you done a compression test lately?

JTS016

Aug 12, 2009
I have not, just got the bike like a month or two ago. I've been getting over a knee injury so I haven't got to do alot to the bike. I mean it didnt push over with ease, you really have to shove the kick start with all you have. Maybe I'm just super strong :) !!

JTS016

Aug 12, 2009
Won't start on 1st or 2nd kick round 2

Ok, it's been about 2 weeks since the last time I fired up the bike. Last time it ran great the whole time I rode it. Last time I finished riding, I turned the fuel off and let the bike run until it used all the gas in the carb and died on it's on (Just because I knew I wouldn't be riding it for a few weeks). Tried starting it today, turned the fuel on, pumped the throttle a few times, turned on the choke, and kicked it at least 20 times before it started. Seemed to be idling fine, walked off, came back and it was dead. Kicked it another 10 to 15 times, finally started, took it off choke, seemed to be idling fine, about a minute later it slowly started dying. I revved it, first seemed like it helped but then started dying again, gave it more gas, this time it didn't help, it died... My leg was killing me by this point so I gave up for the night. I just don't understand why it keeps flip flopping b/w working and not working every other time I start it.

Top Bottom