INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Yesterday I had a somewhat long talk with Woodsy. His computer ran about 20 minutes last week and he doesn’t know when it will be back running again. As such he has authorized me to be his mouthpiece, and I don’t have a law degree, here on the MTR site with any or all of you. Whatever is posted here I will get to him and will keep you informed of what he is up to. Things may be a day or so late but they will not be a dollar short. A copy of this will go out in the mail so he will be in on things at the start. Unless it gets lost by way of the Boon trail, like he does, it should be there by Thursday.
The disc replacement try is out for now. The area is in such bad shape that it would not work. He was looking for a second opinion and got that instead. They told him the same as his surgeon at home did. The best bet is to have some fusion and the titanium cage now all in one operation going through the back. Later on he could go with a disc replacement higher up the spine. I cannot follow all the numbers and letters that apply to who’s who in the spine. Essentially there is a lot of damage and he’s in much pain at times. This week should settle when the surgery would be scheduled. He’s looking at about a week in the hospital and a couple months at home before venturing outside. My downside of this is that it would be a ball to have him here when he couldn’t fight back. So instead I’ll figure out another way to rattle his cage.
His spirits are high and he is as upbeat as ever. The outlook is not bleak at all and he’s figuring on being back to get someone lost on one of his rides. There were many questions about a lot of you and how you were doing, both riding and not getting lost. To cover two weeks in an hour isn’t easy. Whatever is fit to post, do so and I’ll relay it to him. I’ve only known Scott since August 29,2003 on the Boon trail but I think the world of him and just typing this out clouds the eyes.
Young Ted

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Thanks for the info Ted. I was wondering what is up with him. I almost called him Saturday night. I was climbing the walls I was so board. I was scaning thru my phone numbers looking for someone to talk to (stuck at home with the kid)..

Good to hear that he is still in high spirits.

Ted if you can, Post his snail mail adress here so we can send him stuff. I have something that I need to give him.

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Ted ... while we have yet to meet in person, and similarly for Woodsy, I feel that we are somehow connected through this sport of dirt biking we all so love ... I have read so many of your's and Woodsy's posts over the past year or so that I can almost recognize writing styles ... perhaps a bit more so for Woodsy since his tendency to be tongue in cheek arises regularly in his tales. Thanks for letting us know his situation and taking the time to forward our ramblings so he won't fall behind because of a broken computer.

Between his spinal ailments and a sick computer, life has certainly dealt him some blows lately ... we all wish him the very best & hope to catch him back on the site ASAP.

The surgical diagnosis sounds very high tech ... amazing the things that can be done anymore. Most folks are lucky to have a bit of titanium here and there in their bike ... sounds like Woodsy is taking it to a new level by incorporating some into himself. Let's see now, with that new 'titanium cage' are we to expect the weight savings will enable Woodsy to be considerably faster than before? I suspect the good news is that titanium is not ferromagnetic ... his internal compass will continue to function properly ... that is, he'll still get lost just as easily as before. Perhaps we could all take up a collection to pay the surgeon to install a few hematite crystals in Woodsy's hind end ... they'll be working just north of the site I'm talking about ... once these crystals are in place he should acquire 'homing skills' ... unfortunately, there is a downside ... he'll have to undergo directionally oriented potty training. Just let him know that the recovery time will go by quickly ... we're all pulling for him ... and, to get his computer fixed soon !!!

terry nestrick :cool:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
bbarel said:
Thanks Ted,
Do you know how did his back get screwed up?

It is nothing that has happened recently i dont think, ie recent crash damage. This has been getting gradualy worse for a while.

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Sounds like a very advanced procedure. Considering the pounding we put our bodies through trail riding, it will great for him to be able to ride again. I cannot imagine the pain an injury like that would cause. I've only had the opportunity to meet a couple of MTR'ers and have yet to make a trail ride, but the thought of being a part of a Woodsy's trail ride sounds too good to miss.

Take care Woodsy, hope to see you back on the trails again soon!

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Let's see how I do as secretary and information officer.
Don - Address is 7953 W. Moore Rd.,Ravenna, Mich., 49451
Bret - He has been pounding his back by riding for many years. Back to the days when suspension was minimal. It is basically accumulation over time. Last November he ducked when hitting a deer that was about to come through the windshield and the twist put the 'final' blow to his back. When riding this spring he would rest sitting against a tree. One time he laid flat on his back in the grass for some time just to relax and rest.
Terry - Although there is a difference in writing style we are very similair in may other ways. Probably the biggest difference is that I'm from the pumpkin patch and he's from that other patch the other side of the tracks. The name has lost me right now.
To trail ride with Woodsy is an experience you can't forget. I've only been on three with him and the memories will be there forever. He has a goal to recover and ride again. Not as fast or rough, but still ride within limitations. I've sent him one of the Woodsy's Delight Emergency Kits I made up to pass out at the next ride. He'll be looking forward to using it when he gets lost on the Boon trail.
Thank you for joining in.
Young Ted

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
YZMAN400 said:
It is nothing that has happened recently i dont think, ie recent crash damage. This has been getting gradualy worse for a while.

Actually I think it is accident-related. I believe he got rear-ended last fall.

If you or Ted can PM his phone number and snail mail address, I'd like to talk to the old boy. I was going to ride my road bike up to see him on Sunday, but didn't have his address since my computer died and lost years of that kind of thing (it pays to back up!).

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
scott is one hell of a guy. I hope he can get sitting upright and on 2 wheels ASAP. I'm glad I got to ride with him 2-3 times this spring.

Fred

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
The 3 times I mentioned yesterday applies to this year. There were two times last year. Smit-Dog will do the math on what this totals. That way we'll know the correct answer.
Fred - Soon as possible looks to be at least two years. The good thing is that Woodsy is looking beyond that time frame, accepts his situation and is absolutely possitive about it. Right there he has the biggest part of the battle won. He is also an inspiration, even when lost on the trail to Boon.
Young Ted

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Ted give Woodsy my best wishes. Past on the word. Team green is now Team-Berg. Aaron picks a brand new shine 03 fe400e friday :nener:

Last edited:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
70 marlin said:
Ted give Woodsy be best wishes. Past on the word the Team green is now team-berg. Aaron picks a brand new shine 03 fe400e friday :nener:

Congrats to Aaron! I'd like to see his face on that first ride, make sure you get a picture Marlin!

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
As soon as I finish this post, maybe it should be stake, because when Woodsy gets wind of it he’ll want to tie me to it, I’ll be off to Wisconsin. Will be stopping at Pearson on the way back Sunday to run an enduro. Here therefore is an update. June 16th will be all the pre-op things they always do and a status of any detours to Boon. June 22nd is the biggie when the actual surgery will take place at Hackley Hospital in Muskegon. I believe the state is Michigan. His neuro surgeon is Dr. Pratt. The same company that is doing the replacement disc research makes the titanium cage. They are not new kids on the block. June 25th Father Nelson will be there to administer the first rites for a top-notch recovery.
The word lost has been used enough that perhaps a definition is in order. Checking the authoritive Woodsy’s West Side Trail Dictionary, I find that it means you’re just not sure where the trail, two track, gravel road or blacktop ends up. GPS to him means Go Park Somewhere; we’re riding, even if it’s the wrong way for now.
Going Bye, Bye, Young Ted

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Ted, I'll PM you my phone number, I'd like to join you if I can for your visit to Woody-Land at Hackley Hospital. Since I know where it is, I can also assist in getting you there.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Woops! I can't PM you, I guess you don't have it, and I see your e-mail from this site is blocked. While I had your e-mail address, it disappeared with all the other data on my old hard drive. So-o-o-o, can you e-mail me at mweissen at chartermi dot net, and I'll send you my phone numbers. Thanks Ted!

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I don't get in to the muddy side chapters very often but love the ride reports you guys post.

Hope it all goes well for Woodsy with the doc and recovery.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Ted
I am up to my a$$ in alligaotrs right now with opening a new restaurant on June 22nd. But if you and Mark could pass on my best wishes to Scott I sure would appreciate it. (June 22nd shoud mean good luck for him!)

For example today I was supposed to ride with napper, but he called and indicated that it was raining in Alma and the front was approacing so we didn't ride. It turned out to be a beautiful day but i decided to check into the new restaurant to see if they had any questions at 8 Am and didn't leave until 6:30 PM!!! The alligators are real big this week as it's crunch time!

But I sure would like to make sure scott knows we "easterners" are thinking about him, the meomories of the early spring rides and his hospitality are fond memories. Hes' a special guy.
Thanks
Fred

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
It looks like Big Bo Peep has found his sheep and is now back to abnormal. For me this has been fun and a lot of satisfaction helping a deserving,although sometimes lost, fellow rider. To see the interest and response is heartwarming. Thanks to all of you and let's ride.
Young Ted

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Thanks again everyone for the well wishing! Kiwibird - I missed you on an earlier psot - THANK YOU!!
ANd yes Ted - this is BEYOND compare of heartwarming - the encouragement that I have received from all this is unspeakable!!
Now, everyone do like Ted suggested, GO RIDE!!!
Woodsy

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Woodsy, you open for a visit, or maybe me coming and buying you breakfast? Let me know, I'd like to come and chat with you.

I've been meaning to call you, but my days for the past two weeks have gone non-stop beyond 10:30 at night. Last night I got home at 11:15 and was supposed to get up at 4:30 for a meeting with third shift. My body is NOT handling this well, and I find now every morning I feel like I have the flu until about 10:30-11:00. Even though I set two alarms, I never heard them for 4:30 and missed the meeting! Ugh!

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Woodsy was just saying in another post that he really isn't up for visiters right now. Something about the heavy meds are kepping him pretty wacked out..... Well even more so than normal that is.

Top Bottom