YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
bbarel said:
Hey Woodsy I saw this thread on back surgery you might want to check out..
http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=62389
I really do hope it works out good for you.
The MI woods are missing your riding!
The trees enjoyed watching you get lost...

But I must say... The squirrels are much happier that he is not in the woods. As much as he gets lost he musta made many a squirel dinner as he spent the night in the woods. :nener:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi guys!!!
I am sitting here in my back brace (turtle shell), wobbling back and forth from the drugs (they have me on Flexiril (muscle relaxer) and morphine - I feel like a "weeble" - you know, "the weebles will wobble but they wont fall down" hahahaha... be back soon :)

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Give ya a hint - it aint been ridden much this year :( Its got big ol droopy eyes that I hear crying in the night :( It has usually been reshoed 3 times by this time and it is still on its first set of spring tires :(

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
I talked with Woodsy's wife Cheryl a few minutes ago. Before I bring things up to the latest there will be a short history lesson.
One time I asked Woodsy his wifes name.
"It's Cheryl with a c."
"A sea of what?'
"A sea of love. What I haven't put that woman through."
A very fortunate woman she is. Look at what he keeps putting us through.
Class dismissed.

Everything is going fine and what was set out to do, was done. They had him on his feet last night and today he walked down the hall quite a ways. There is of course still much pain from the operation. More checks are yet to come in the next two days and the possibility of being turned loose on society again could be Friday afternoon. One reason for his good recovery time has to be his physical condition from riding so much when lost. Another reason could be his ability to stomach burnt squirrel.
YZMAN400 may see him tomorrow at the hospital an if so, will no doubt post another update. I should be back again myself late Friday night with more news. Tomorrow I'll have to spend some time on the scheeming I've been accused of.
Carry on, Young Ted

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Great to hear Ted. I called Hackley to talk to him today, and they didn't have his name listed. I think the girl that looked it up was the issue. If someone has his room number, please e-mail it, I'd like to give him a cheerio call.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
I didn't make it to the Hospital tonight. I couldn't bring myself to go there again. My hatred for Hospitals runs deep. I think it started with a broken wrist / setting the wrist and ended with a broken femur fixing of the femur. I now have a deep hatred for needles (Hospitals too). It was all I could muster just to drop off a package for him Tuesday.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Mark - Keep in mind that Woodsy gets lost. Why would a hospital make a difference?

Don - You made the effort and gave him a package he will remember and treasure. I don't think his eyes will stay clear every time he thinks about it.

There should be the latest info in another 24 hours, I hope.
Young Ted

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I didn't read the whole thread, but I gather from the first post that Woodsy crunched his back? Sorry to hear it and my best wishes for a speed and well recovery :(

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Woodsy is home from the hospital, sleeping and still in enough pain to take it easy. When he's up and around he wears a brace - his water cooled plastic cage. He has the man in the iron mask beat with the water cooling anyway. I'll try to make direct contact with him in the morning as he no doubt can use plenty of sleep. There are no complications at this time so it is a matter of recovering from the surgery shock.
Young Ted

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
A few hours ago I had a talk with Woodsy. First off he wants everyone to know that he really appreciates the thoughts, concerns, interest and what have you. In short but from the heart, it is “Thank You”. He also asked that I post his home phone number – 231-853-2719 – in case anyone would like to call him. You may not get through easily as at times there are orders to let the answering machine operate and not take calls. However, do leave a message and he will do his best to return a call. Because he can’t ride now does not mean a bike related matter is verboten. He would enjoy hearing about any experiences that pertain to bikes and riding. Putting a chain on backwards or getting lost will do just fine. The tape of the White Cloud ride Don sent him is being replayed and relived, with the volume being turned up to hear the actual conversations.
On the surgery side he is doing well, although still in pain and under some heavy medication. There is no permanent nerve damage known at this time, he’s walking around the house for 2 or 3 minutes now without the use of the walker, he can stand for 5 minutes without pain, (this was not possible before the operation, as mentioned in an earlier post). Going outside is out of the question right now, as it requires 3 steps to reach ground level.
When he will be able to be back at the computer, I don’t know. Until then I will continue to be his mouthpiece or whatever else needs to be done. Almost forgot one more thing – a nurse at the hospital by the name of Carol is simply top of the line and he didn’t care if her name was plastered all over the Internet. He wants everyone to know she is the best.
I mentioned there had been 720 views on this thread as of last night and he was flabbergasted. My guess is there were tears flowing after he heard that. For now I’ll say good night until we meet here again.
Young Ted

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
I was in Lake County yesterday taking care of some business and decided to head for home via the back roads and enjoy the scenery. Things went OK until some detours, winding roads and wrong turns had me heading back north. Right you are – I was lost. Time to put the emergency kit to use. I got out of the van and got wind of a different aroma. It was nothing other than burnt squirrel – I was at Woodsy’s house. So much for an entry to the liars club.

Scott is not able to sit at the computer and operate it, so he asked me to post that request for him. He has a phone plan with unlimited calls for a fixed rate and would enjoy talking bikes with anyone. Bikes have been his life for 43 years and they are what keep him going. There was special mention that he would like to talk with Arron about his new 400.

The water-cooling system for the back brace is doing its job. Step one to making it portable has been solved – it’s run by a 12-volt motor. By adapting the heat exchanger to a helmet you could then be a cool headed rider.

A stop in the garage to visit Kadie found him sound asleep. The camera was able to get a picture of his dream – 1st. picture. I checked on Inca after getting home and picture #2 shows what I found.

Attachments

• K Dreaming.jpg
    K Dreaming.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 101
  • I Dreaming.jpg
    I Dreaming.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 107

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
The doc started me on some "nerve spasm calmer" today and between that and a little "creative posturing" (I am almost lieing flat as I type" HERE I AM!!!!
THANKS FOR THE PHONE NUMBERS!! As time (yours) and pain (mine) permits I will be in touch!!
THANKS TO ALL for the well wishing through this ordeal - you guys are the GREATEST people on the planet!!
Now about that recent post there Young Ted:
Directions to Woodsy's house =
"I was in Lake County yesterday taking care of some business and decided to head for home via the back roads and enjoy the scenery. Things went OK until some detours, winding roads and wrong turns had me heading back north. Right you are – I was lost. Time to put the emergency kit to use. I got out of the van and got wind of a different aroma. It was nothing other than burnt squirrel – I was at Woodsy’s house. So much for an entry to the liars club."
IT WORKS FOLKS!!!! That little kit has proven its value - I got to spend a WHOLE day visiting with my brother and dear friend Young Ted - I sure am glad the wind was not blowing the smell of lunch the other direction because I probably would NEVER have "heard the shot" from the kit if it would have been necessary :)
I dosed for a second during our visit and now I see the little games the "Master of the trail" is capable of! That pic of a sleeping Kadie is evidence that I need to heed Napper's advice (thanks for the call today Napper - REALLY appreciated!!) about Nelson!!! That Young Ted can be sneaky!!
Where on earth did you find that "BOON LOST" sign Ted?? I have traveled most every nook and cranny of the Great Boon Trail Area and NEVER noticed this before!! Perhaps, due to my absence as trail guide, the local folks up there are getting tired of my fellow riders borrowing items to make "burnt squirrel" they started posting the area better! Sure would take the fun out of life if thats the case!!
My dad took me into the doctor today and could not stop talking about meeting and laughing with you! Hope your stomach tolerated my mom's Pecan Pie ok - she sent me some Strawberry/Rubarb today - good thing this surgery stuff doent happen often or I would have to ride one of those new ATK 700's to carry the extra weight!!
I am glad you found your way home ok, sometimes just being around me for more then an hour or so will screw up another persons homing device!!
Cheryl and I are looking forward to possibly meeting Connie on the 10th.
I got up this morning and carried the surprise you brought me into the kitchen. Between reading that about 20 more times and thinking of the depth of our visit, I had wet eyes for a good while - THANKS FOR EVERYTHING TED!!!
Getting stronger by the minute!
Woodsy

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Good to hear that you are up and around ( a little anyways) I am outta town today on business. Maybe I will call ya latter and see whats up. Man I hate being up at 5:00am. This is too early.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Woodsy: Good to hear that thing's are starting to get a little more normal. Aaron & I will drop you a line in the near future. We rode Tomahawk last weekend for the 18th Phil Bean memorial ride. Aaron & I both rode the B loop on Saturdays with Mike M, Sparkey,TimR & Kelvin KDX. I ended up taking the cut off by miskate following the arrows. I missed the signage that pointed toward the full loop. And only ended up riding the 30-mile loop in stead of the 50 miler someday I would like to do that other 20 miles. Sunday Aaron & I were just playing around on the kid’s loop warming up for the full ride. Aaron wasn't feeling that great. He had some kind of sinus headache? So he bowed out on riding anther full loop. I broke camp, then headed out for an accelerated trip around the B loop! The new part of trail on the B loop is a blast. You’ll really enjoy it when you get a chance. As for updates on the new 400 I’m going to let Aaron tell you about it He still hasn’t named her yet? “just to say, the bike is a hand full and there is defiantly a learning curve to this one!" If you want to drop us a line after 6pm it would be a good time to call. That way Aaron & I should be home (517-522-4350) I'd like to drop you a line. I just don't know what’s the best time after 6pm to call you?
PS thing’s @ the house is going to be a bit crazy for awhile wifey brought home a stray swimming pool for me to set up & maintain in the back yard. There goes all my spare riding time & money. Ooh well she’ll enjoy it.

Last edited:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Woodsy,

It's great to hear that things are going well for you. I spent the weekend at the CCC Bean ride and will post a LONG ride report in your honor later today.

Look for it and feel better.
Tim

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I just got off of the phone with Scott. Beforehand I had asked he initiate the calls as my doing so could disrupt any sleep patterns, if he could achieve sleep whatsoever in his current state...

Anywhoo, this Woodsy guy is on the other end of hte line when I answer the phone, and introduces himself, then asks if I have a few minutes to chat. Sure, bud! So he dives right in and we go on like old bench racers around the campfire for like 40-some-odd minutes - although it seemed like a flash; we covered a lot of territory - about all these different bikes he had (Elsinore to VOR), what I've had, east vs. west hardware, gear, terrain, bike characteristics, riding seasons, lousy (yes! Even @ ttheir main office live) FMF customer service and fit, bla bla blah. We could've gone on indefintely but as I'm thinking "he's for sure feeling pain though all of this" and sure enough he concurred - yet with all the dirt bike chatter and enthusiasm behind our conversation I've no doubt it lifted him - certainly did me - he from his situation and me from boredom @ work (things are slow). Whattaguy! Call me anytime, dude!

foxmichigan

Feb 24, 2000
Hi Woodsy,

I don't think we know each other, but I live in G.R. and I've been riding the trail system especially this side of the state since the mid sixties, so perhaps our paths have crossed on the trail. I stumbled across this MTR forum while doing a search, and in the last few months I have enjoyed reading the trail reports and other information posted here. I am not much on posting things, but just as I read Motonews occasionally I have been checking in here. The reason I am posting is when I have had a friend that has been in a situation such as yours, I have a tape I take to them that was recorded by my old friend Jimmy Lewis. He was the national sales manager at Malcolm Smith Racing. I was a rep for Malcolm back in the mid eighties, and after the company was bought out by TR, Jimmy started a new industry dealer show. To kick of the event he did a tape that was shown at the AMA museum, where the industry party was held. The tape has some great footage of the old Jackpine (black & white) when it started in downtown Lansing, and it is kind of a budget version of On Any Sunday. The quality is not that good since I took the original and made several copies, but most of the content is a lot of fun, and something you might enjoy during your recuperation. I would love to send you this tape if you could e-mail me your name and address. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and your return to the northern Michigan woods we all love.

Regards, Al Stover

P.S. I tried to post my e-mail but I get a spam killer message. Maybe you can just check my profile?

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Woodsy,

The REALLY long ride report on my weekend in Michigna is now posted in the ride reports forum. Check it out and feel better.

Tim

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
You people give new meaning to the term "brotherhood"!!!
I have been in a major hurt today - the doc says my sciatic nerve is trying to revive - WOW!!
ENJOYING THE PHONE CONVERSATIONS VERY MUCH!!!
Timr - I am printing a copy of your report and going back to horizontal for some "trail time"...
THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!!
MAKE TRACKS WHEN YOU CAN!
Woodsy

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Woodsy - The reason you've never seen that sign is you don't need one to accomplish what INCA only dreams of. There could be another reason too.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Ok ok I get it Ted.. What you are saying is that the Great Inca was starting to pick up some of Kadies bad manners of riding back and forth on the same section of trail (kinda like a Beagle backtracking on a rabbit) and that "pre-posting" the potential of getting lost on a certain section of trail may actually save some wear and tear on that particular secition. Could this be the other reason ofwhich you speak? If this is what you are speaking of then I actually think its a great Idea!
Timr: FANTASITIC trail report there my friend!! Just what ol Woodsy needed!! I printed out the report (7 GREAT pages) and read some last night (like 5am) and finished it a little while ago! THANKS!!!!!!!!
Hey Foxmichigan - SMALL world has taken on a new meaning!! REALLY enjoying the dialog!
YZMAN - Thanks for the phone call today! You really caght me a perfect time (kinda between doses of this new drug I am trying) - anyway, sounds like you were having a riot at Big Air with you son - CANT ASK FOR MORE THEN THAT!!
70marlin - I am goign to try you guys tonight! I GOTTA get the scoup on the new bike!!
Smitdog - WOW - that a GREAT trip to Blegium!!! Thanks for the phone call!!
Fatherandson - one word of advice - Chris's bark is worse then his bite!!!
Placelast - RIDE ON BROTHER!! All that talk about desert riding makes me wanna throw my KX back to a KX - only with a 15 tooth front sprock to go and rip between the sage with ya!!
Getting better by the day!!
Woodsy

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Well had a good time at Big Air. Weather was awsome, although a little hot. I was tetering on the dehidrated side and wasn't doing all that well on the track. That and the fact that I am fat and way underconditioned.

But I found out something. My yz400 is pissed at me. She has been sitting in the shed since I got the Skippy in March. I think my 400 tried to kill me today. Squirley as hell she was. Couldn't get the front end up for nothing to clear the woops. Bike just felt wierd. Not to mention the 32" bars ( I am used to skippy's 29 1/2" bars) felt like I was going cattle catching. I dont know what it was but I couldn't ride the yz today out there.

So I broke Skippy out. Turned the fork clickers in about 5 clicks. Tightened the dampner 2 clicks and went at it. Much better. The X is definately soft in power and suspension out there. But it was still a lot of fun. And skippy didn't try to kill me. Thats a bonus. Loved that dampner in the soft rutty sand.

The kid did really good. Only had maybe 5 small crashes. All in the corners where he just slid out. Took the bar to his ribs once. That brought out a few tears. But 5 min latter he was ready to go. he rode from like 3:00pm to almost 7:30pm with a few breaks in between. He is sleepin like the dead now.

Attachments

• P7020093.jpg
    P7020093.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 102
Top Bottom