woohoo - cleared my first double jump!

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
At the local MX track last night. Been single jumping the thing for a while, but finally got up the guts to try doubling last night (my fifth time riding at an MX track ever) and made it. :)

Was quite scary coming up to it in third gear, but was very exciting when I made it. Did it twice too. And got it on my helmet cam :laugh:

Awesome day for me and the woods bike...

Phil

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
Congratulations! :aj:

I understand the feeling. I too just started jumping with the new KX front end. Its nice being so old and so young at the same time.

I would like to accept your previous offer and try you efm auto-clutch bike. We could met at the local MX track in Gatineau or at limerick forest during the week end (I never went there before but am interested). Let me know. My email is ogirouard@hotmail.com).

Joe Ortiz

May 28, 2003
Congrats :cool: , I wish I could jump my bike, don't even know where to get started or how to do it, kinda hard when you have to learn to ride on your own :(
Joe

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Head down to your local MX track and ask around Joe. Bet someone would be happy to give you some pointers...

John, we are going to limerick tonight, and friday afternoon. This weekend is looking like Calabogie riding instead of limerick. I don't go to gatineau - long drive from Stittsville ;)

Phil

Joe Ortiz

May 28, 2003
I tried to jump after observing some guys at the local track and watching MX on tv, but it doesn't work :| , a kid in an 80 can do betty than me :)
Joe

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Joe, try some of the outdoor riding books. I read a lot and try what they teach or recommend. A lot of it boils down to practice and learning it to the point that it's automatic. Also, if you have the extra money, take lessons. I've asked the MC shop that I go to a lot if they could recommend local pros that teach and they could. Ask around. The biggest thing wil be practive practice practice...something I don't do enough of... Good luck, keep the rubber side down and like cadjockey said, see where you're at in a year...

Best,
Greg

Joe Ortiz

May 28, 2003
Thanks for the advise GWH, I know I need to practice alot, but some of us don't have the time to do it :ugg: , mostly all work and no play, I want to change that some day, and now the that the cold weather is starting to set in slowly makes matters worse. We still have a few good days left to go riding, the real bad stuff doesn't start coming untill Feb, I might be able to hit the track a few times before it happens.
Joe

DirtRoller

Jul 25, 2004
1tontj congrats... It's amazing what this bike can do if you let it. Just think, you'll be tailwhipping that jump next time. :)
Hey Joe, try jumping some table top jumps first until you get used to the distance you can jump. Then move onto a double that's shorter than what you've been jumping on the table top. This seemed to work for me. Here's a pic. of the first time I took the 220 to the track.
http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=102103

Have someone take pictures so we all can enjoy your rush. :yeehaw:

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
KDX's are fun to jump :)
It's landing them that isn' t the best. Stiffer springs helps a lot, but it's still not motocrosser.

15076_125_full.jpg

15076_126_full.jpg

kawrider

Jun 27, 2004
Joe,
The way a buddy taught me was to follow him and match his speed going up and over the jump. This worked very well.
Funny story...... He and I were jumping some dirt piles that were being used for a road block to keep 4-wheel drives out of an area. There were two piles that made an awesome double jump. We rode all day and kept coming back to do the jump every couple of hours. The next day, several of us got together to ride again, the guy that was the mx'er {the guy that taught me to jump} was not there. I couldn't wait to show all my enduro buddies what I had learned. I hollered the rednecks famous last words..."Hey, watch this!" I took off and made the jump perfect....and to my horror, someone had took a dozier and used the landing dirt to make an acess road across a nearby ditch! The piles were close to the same height, but you couldn't see over them. I damaged the back rim on my KDX and dislocated my shoulder because I didn't check out the area good. It's a good thing they moved the dozier!
Another good friend told me in order to be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid........And live to tell about it!
Later ,
Dave

Joe Ortiz

May 28, 2003
"Another good friend told me in order to be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid........And live to tell about it!"

I'll be 42 in November, some of the things I do, I think I'm still 18, I just took up dirt bikeing 2 years ago, I guess I want to do things that I wasn't able to do in my younger days, that could explane my fear of getting hurt, I have bought all gear for protection, except a neck coller and knee bracess, when ride, I feel like I'm going to play football instead of riding, never broken a bone, and I was a paratrooper in the Army.
I don't want to play the young and stupid game, but I would like to learn the basics of jumping and getting over obsticles, I bought my bike for trail riding, not to win an mx race, I just want to be a better rider.
Joe :ride:

Top Bottom