Woohoo!! My RB PWK Air Striker came today...

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Ron did a beautiful job on the carb. What you see on the website is what he'll send. Canyncarvr is right too - there's a bunch o' hoses... Friday, I'll be mounting the Vforce2 and the PWK. This is looking like it's going to be one great weekend!

Best,
Greg

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Would you tell us how we can expect to spend for an Airstriker ??

I think you forgot a word, but anyway

If you wanna know how much the RB Modded Airstyker is

$325 including shipping

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Farmerj: I'll make sure to write a ride report though it'll be from a slowpoke's point of view. :-)

Twiztid One said:
let us know how it does , what kinda jets does it use ?

It's still a PWK carb and looks pretty much the same except for the extra air passages upon quick examination.

It uses the same PWK jets. I'm not sure if the slide is different because I don't know about tuning slides. I looked and couldn't find any numerical identifier like a "7" or "6" like people have mentioned about the slide cuts. There's a "G," which is the 7th letter (did I win?), cast into the top and a "K45" punched in near the bottom where the needle comes out.

Jetting is leaner than I would have expected but since I know nothing about setting these carbs in relation to a stock PWK, I'm going to try it.

P: 40
M: 150
N: CEK, 3rd from the top.

I also bought the needles that CC has mentioned - BEM and DEK - and it came with another, a CEJ. CC, if you're reading this, how'd you come up with the pretty wide spread in needles?

Best,
Greg

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
wibby said:
I think you forgot a word, but anyway

If you wanna know how much the RB Modded Airstyker is

$325 including shipping

Yep, Wibby's right. It's $325, new, from his shop to your door, at least in the 48 states I would assume. I don't know about Canada, Alaska, or Hawaii.

Best,
Greg

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Hey, Jeff, here's my ride report. I'll give you the basic rundown on what I've got:

200 w/ stock porting
FMF Gnarly Desert w/ TC2 Q
VForce2 - grey stops set to low tension and I'm assuming the new-style reeds.
Lid w/no snorkel and 2 2" holes
UNI filter.

Put about 20-25 miles on it today, mix of MX track and woods so Grand Prix but it's a pretty mild track. The power to me is still KDX-like but just more of it. It's nothing to loft the wheel, especially when you need to lighten the front end and get the rear to dig in. Its not stupid power, just better. (Sure does sound good too - ring-a-ding-ding :-) ) I ran the stock carb rejetted with the stock reeds and the new pipe and silencer last week for just a bit while I was waiting for the new stuff and with the Rev, I could feel the loss of bottom end. I had to rev to make it work. The new parts seem to restore the original power curve starting point but then boosts the whole curve up a few notches. The new setup reminds me of the same old happy floppy-eared hounddog but with BIG TEETH when it needs it. :-) Definitely worth the money.

One other thing, I'm a pretty big guy, 230#, and I don't think this would've been a fun ride if I wouldn't have sorted out my suspension. It can accelerate pretty well now and when slowing down for turns from the new higher speeds, the front end would've been diving like crazy.

Best,
Greg

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
gwh get wibby to send u the link about the airscrew on the rb carbs he sent it to me but i deleted it after i read it i shoulda saved it. i got my carb back 150 40 cek it was awesome but really cold so i went to 152 42 i dont wanta pull the carb off alot when it gets warmer just play with the air screw

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
Greg,

Thanks for the report. Sounds essentially like my experience, though I've got the torque pipe on at this point. I need to try the Rev!

Jeff

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Put another 10 miles on it yesterday and I really love the way the KDX runs now!

89kdx, wibby,

Thanks for the information. It's been a little warm here for winter so I stuck with the jetting that Ron sent for now. I'm going to bump it to a 42/152 also but I need to order a 152 main from Sudco. My local dealership skips that size and I think my 155 would be too big. In regards to the thread, Zipty has knurled extended air screws and I think one of them can be used with the PWK. This may be cool for on the trail since it could be adjusted with just hands. Hmm...

Mudmax,

Like 89kdx said, and what I did, if you're wanting a RB modified air striker, I'd just order it from Ron directly. His porting job is $165 so that means the carb costs $160 from him so it's basically a wash and you'll have to go out and remail your carb or get the pro-flo guys to mail it to him. If you want to ride slow stuff, but have the topend hit of the Rev pipe, this setup does work.

Jeff,

No problem. :-) Most fun research I've done in awhile. There is more top end with the rev too. The stocker used to fall a little flat and now it sounds a lot like a 125 and has that kind of feel on long straights on the MX track. You may like the extra top end from the Rev and get to keep the low end.

Best,
Greg

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
No the slides are not the same. Yes they will interchange.

Go figure.

So..what you're saying is the airstryker is a piece of junk, you hate it and want to eat worms after wasting all those bucks?

Ron's work is beautiful.

re: spread on needles

From my use, other's inputs and JD's spreadsheet. The needle is the piece most responsible for a bike's 'personality.' You can turn it into whatever you want! Tear your arms off, or just pull. Your choice.

...you might keep in mind the two different reed tensions available from mototassinari...:think:

The low tension reed with the black stops turn the -30 into a real peach! No, that's not a MT 'rec'. Just mo.

I want a platinumII....

Cheers!

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
canyncarvr said:
So..what you're saying is the airstryker is a piece of junk, you hate it and want to eat worms after wasting all those bucks?

Yep, that's it. I'd throw rocks at it if I could. I'd rather eat dog food than ride it. Yeah right... NOT! :-)

RE: Ron's work is beautiful.
'nuff said... The divider plate machined to match the slide and installed into the carb throat looks perfect like it was always there.

canyncarvr said:
re: spread on needles

From my use, other's inputs and JD's spreadsheet. The needle is the piece most responsible for a bike's 'personality.' You can turn it into whatever you want! Tear your arms off, or just pull. Your choice.

...you might keep in mind the two different reed tensions available from mototassinari...:think:

The low tension reed with the black stops turn the -30 into a real peach! No, that's not a MT 'rec'. Just mo.

I'll do some experimenting with the new needles and try the other reeds a little later. I'm real close to having the KDX ready to try in a hare scramble or enduro. I still need to replace the tail bag with something a little more usable. I'm going to order one of the Dirt Bike Gear ballistic nylon bags.

RE: I want a platinumII....
Since PC does so much with Kawi and even races Kawi hardware, I think that they really want to produce a top notch product rather than just trying to push product out the door. If ELine produces a CF pipe guard for the PlatII, I'll order the guard and the pipe the same day.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. The KDX is running great!

Best,
Greg

Top Bottom