KenR

Feb 20, 2002
It's at the dealer being assembled...pick it up Wednesday! Full report to follow!!

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
We presently race desert on a YZ's. Part of our challenge will be setting this up with proper armor for desert racing, i.e. skid plate, shark fin, desert tank, etc. Might have a line of products for sale for this specific bike soon too...

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
Okay, she's had a couple of break-in heat cycles. I can tell you right away that this bike has great bottom end. Doesn't have a spark arrestor. I was suprised that it came with skinny bars looking at the rest of the bike. Fit/finish is typical KTM - nice, substantial, beefy. Looking at the frame, swingarm, forks, shock, wheels...it looks and feels like a 7/8 scale big bike. Big bike air filter services from the side. Sweeeet clutch and brake feel. Jetting feels pretty close for 4000 feet already, but may have to be adjusted once it's broken in. Suspension feels like it'll take on anything. The bike feels tall compared to the YZ.

Ride report after this weekend.

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
First ride was great...while it lasted. About fifteen minutes in she developed a little noise in the transmission/clutch area and we shut 'er down. It's back at the dealer now. I think it'll probably be a minor issue, but we didn't want to take any chances.

We discovered that the shock spring is too short, but I understand that KTM is aware of this and is working on a remedy.

The bike handles great. As is typical with WP suspensions, it's going to take some time to break in. The engine has smooth power from low to high without having to scream it to get into the meat, although we kept it at low to mid RPM's since it's so new. Brakes work great - stoppies are almost automatic if you want 'em.

So far it's thumbs up!!

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
I don't know if this will work because I've never posted a picture, but here goes...

Attachments

• picture 153small.jpg
    picture 153small.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 694

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
Here's another.

Attachments

• picture 152small.jpg
    picture 152small.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 656

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
And another...

Attachments

• picture 145small.jpg
    picture 145small.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 651

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
Last one...but I have more!! ;)

Attachments

• picture 154small.jpg
    picture 154small.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 614

ozspode

Dec 13, 2001
Thanks for the pics Ken
It looks awesome
Would you happen to know what the seat height is or perhaps a comparison in seat height to a yz85?

cheers

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
I can tell you that the seat height is taller than the YZ, but I won't be able to put a tape on it until I get the bike back in my garage, hopefully today or tomorrow. The dealer called while I was traveling and says the problem has been fixed - don't know yet what they found.

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
Sorry ya'll for the delay. Been on the road for the last couple of weeks. The problem ended up being low oil level. KTM ships these bikes dry. The specification for the amount of oil in the owners manual is for "wet". When the dealer filled the trans with oil using the specified amount, it was actually a bit low, leading to the clutch hub bearing vibrating and making the noise.

They pulled it all apart to make sure there was not damage (there wasn't), drained and re-filled the trans and that took care of the problem.

As for the short spring length, I haven't heard anything from KTM on that yet, and talked to Scott Harden this past weekend at the Nevada 200 about it as well. Even without any preload adjustment, the bike seems to be set up pretty well for our rider, but I still want the correct, longer spring.

We'll be at a motocross track tonight with the KTM and YZ's so should be able to get some good feedback between the two.

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
The track is at Deseret Peak Sports Complex in Tooele Utah, about 20 minutes west of Salt Lake City. Pretty cool place. They have a long, fairly technical motocross track, arena cross and 50's tracks, BMX, a brand new karting facility (makes it real tempting to jump into that again), plus a horse arena, softball fields, etc., etc.

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
Due to scheduling and mechanical problems, we couldn't get the new YZ and KTM together at the track.

I can tell you that the Katoom is a rocket ship. Loads of power everywhere - lots down low, great pull in the mid range and the top seems to go forever. I think the greatest difference in power comes from the V-Force reeds, huge air filter and power valve.

The suspension is waaaaaaay better than the YZ outta the box. It's taken some time to break in the shock and fork, but we're starting to add some clicks to both ends. The chassis seems very well balanced. Brakes are excellent. The kid loves the hydraulic clutch.

The only negative I can find is the short shock spring length, which has to be new model glitch. As I may have stated earlier, ours came with too short of a spring - the adjustment ring is at the bottom of the shock body and the spring has no preload on it. So far this hasn't caused a problem, but as our rider gains weight, I'll want the adjustment. My dealer hasn't gotten a response from KTM on it yet.

Hopefully in the next week or so, we'll have both bikes side-by-side at the track (the YZ's transmission grenaded during some desert practice). All of these observations are based upon feedback from my son, who rides both. I can tell you that he doesn't want to ride the blue one much anymore. We're presently working on some "hardware" to make the KTM more suitable for desert racing - skid plate, shark fin, radiator supports/guards. Until then it's only being used on a motocross track as I don't want to test parts availability just yet!

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
Here are a couple of pictures from this afternoon...

Attachments

• april 2003 011small.jpg
    april 2003 011small.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 224

KenR

Feb 20, 2002

Attachments

• april 2003 004small.jpg
    april 2003 004small.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 213

bbilliot

Oct 25, 2002
Thanks Ken,

I look forward to your review. If you can when you do get the YZ and SX together. Take a few pictures side by side.

Thanks again.

Hoping to get an 04 for my son.

Top Bottom