yes, another, "what bike should I get Post"

Dec 18, 2006
Alright, I figure I would post in here to get suggestions on a newer bike.

First a little detail about my experience/history with bikes.

I have been riding since I was 5 years old, starting out on a minibike. I would ride around the trails with my cousin and

brother, uncle, who has a 4 wheeler, my whole family has been involved with riding dirtbikes before I was born, dad had a

harley davidson dirtbike and my mom had an indian dirtbike.

When I was around 10 years old they got a a yamaha MX100 for christmas (it was from the late 70's) I rode that 2 stroke for

years and got quite good at it on my property taking jumps and hitting the lines correctly in the trails out running the

more powerful fourwheelers because they couldn't keep up in the turns :)

Well I have since got a 1986 Suzuki 125 SP dual purpose bike (which has been geared as low as we could get it for the trails

only) Its fun to ride around on but has little or no potential at all. Not even enough power to pull a wheelie unless the

conditions are just right.

Alright since that is all said lets bring the other conditions up to date here!

24 years old, 6 foot 2 or 3 inches tall and 220lbs.

As stated before, I have been riding since I was in kindergarden. I feel better on a bike then I do driving a car sometimes!

I can be a very mellow rider and really enjoy just being out riding around more then anything else with a bike. which means I can take a ride through the back farm lanes here in 3rd gear low RPM's just enjoying it to it's fullest... BUT I can be pretty agressive and have no issue with taking some bigger jumps clearing from when I was younger about 20 to 30

feet on those smooth transitional ramps. I like to ride hard and push it to the bikes limits which wasn't much on the MX100

with horrible suspension (compared to todays bikes) but I was the quickest of the group.

I have always like Yamaha bikes, the MX treated me very good and my cousin has something simalar right now that treated him

good too, I do have a wide range of bikes to choose from also from the local shops around here. I am not too concerned with

the brand I go with though, anything will be an improvement over the SP.

2 stroke or 4 stroke. I like to ride for long periods of time and I think a 4 stroke would be more suiting. but I may be wrong on this one with the advances they have made since my 2 stroke from the 70's haha. I plan on riding at Paragon adventure park up in Hazelton PA, Tower City, and at some other spots I have heard about in the general coal regions of PA any place with long trails and some nice jumps to play on :) .

I would be working on the bike myself, I have no problem with tearing a motor down infact it would be quite fun doing this on a bike instead of a car for a change since there isn't as much to it. I would like a bike with less maintenance would be better (assuming 4 strokes will last longer since they dont put out as much power/cc as a 2 stroke.

Here is the thing, I dont know where to go to get the best deal on a bike. I want somethen relatively cheap (definitely not over 2 grand unless financing is possible from say a yamaha dealer on used bikes they sell)

I will be riding this bike a lot next year and hopefully will get to ride around with some members from here. Always cool to meet up with new riders since I rarely get to ride in any other place then the area right around here.

Thanks in advance, Let me know if I missed anything, I checked out the rules thread and tried to give you the info you need.

Skinnghi

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 15, 2006
First off, nice to see ya on here!

The first thing that I'd like to point out is that you want a "used" bike for "under 2 grand". That's not really a problem, since most bikes aren't worth much of anything at all after about 5 years, but I highly doubt that you'll find it at a dealership, you'll most likley be better off finding something on e-bay or in the classifieds of the local paper or even this site. If you're buying something from a dealer they always jack up the price of anything they sell because of course, they have to make a profit, and on used things that means more than you would have paid.

Moving on, that bike you've been riding around on has seen better days I'm sure, and if you're willing to throw some work on the engine of the bike I'm sure that you can pick out a pretty nice bike for that price.

I think that, judging by your size and your preference to Yamaha, a 250 (Two-Stroke) would be your best bet if you did still want to stick with two strokes. I think someone that's 6'3" at 220 lbs shouldn't be seen jumping a 125. If you go with Four-strokes possibly the 450, but I'll be willing to bet that it'll be tough to find a YZF450 for under 2 grand unless something is wrong with it, but I may be wrong.

Anywho, I hope this helps, and maybe I'll see ya out there sometime, as I live in Michigan and I'm always looking for somewhere to go when classes and work aren't consuming my life.

- Tom

Dec 18, 2006
Thanks a bunch tom, definitely some good information.

I have no problem with 2 stokes. Do they still have a separate tank on the bike in order to mix oil with the gas or have they worked around that to not even need to mix gas anymore. Like I said, I am current with the 2 stroke from 1970's haha.

I love the power of a 2 stroke. The SP is a 4 stroke and my MX and my cousin Yamaha 100cc enduro runs circles around that.

Skinnghi

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 15, 2006
Nope, nowadays you just "pre-mix" the oil and gas together. It's usually a 32:1 ratio which is what the manual says and what they tell you, but it's quite rich, most likley because they don't want you to burn up your engine in the first few weeks and come back blamming them for it.

I usually use a 40:1 ratio in the spring summer and fall.

- Tom

Dec 18, 2006
Oh one more thing I forgot to mention about choosing a bike...

My brother has an 06 raptor 700R he lets me ride it once in a while when we are out riding for a change of pace and I love the way that thing pulls. Just wondering how a 250 2 stroke would compare to something like this. I haven't been on a "fast" bike in comparison to the way the raptor pulls. Extremely torquey, I love it.

Skinnghi

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 15, 2006
On a dirt surface, not sand or anything, and not pavement, my CR250 is quite a bit faster than a Raptor.

It also has a lot to do with the rider, but usually the bikes are faster than the quads.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
blindmandesigns said:
Oh one more thing I forgot to mention about choosing a bike...

My brother has an 06 raptor 700R he lets me ride it once in a while when we are out riding for a change of pace and I love the way that thing pulls. Just wondering how a 250 2 stroke would compare to something like this. I haven't been on a "fast" bike in comparison to the way the raptor pulls. Extremely torquey, I love it.

A 250 2stroke is going to have a hard HIT when you come into the power band. It's a lot like hitting the NOS button. It's a bit scary at first, but once you learn to sense it and to manage it, it is incredibly fun. Take it easy learning and you won't go through too many rear fenders.

A Kawasaki KDX220 is a more mellow 2stroke and is more torquie like a 4stroke, but the suspension and weight make it not such a great candidate for catching big air regularly. As a trail/farm bike, I think it is ideal though.

Dec 18, 2006
I remember the "hit" as you call it on my 100cc yamaha and really did love it. very mellow compared to a 250 im sure. but still a good punch.

I have found a few bikes locally in my price range. will have to inquire about them.

cold weather is a good way kill off the impulse buy itch since I know I wouldn't be going out and riding it for hours on end after I buy it. Have to take my time and find one that fits just right.

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
If you are wanting something that pulls like that raptor and you are willing to finance you should get a new mx 450, any of the big 4 are good. Put some money down and get some gear and go smoke that raptor.

csmutty

Uhhh...
Feb 28, 2006
RMZRyder said:
If you are wanting something that pulls like that raptor and you are willing to finance you should get a new mx 450, any of the big 4 are good. Put some money down and get some gear and go smoke that raptor.
If you want to spend 5 grand or more this would be a solution. I think you would be better off with a 250 2 stroke. I think you would come to love it. I have rode a Cr250 and a 700 raptor back to back and the 250 2 stroke could easily outpull the raptor as it weighs so much less. I think the 250 2 stroke would be a reliable fun bike for you and could be a trail and mx bike.

Dec 18, 2006
Well I found a bike for sale 1984 Honda CR250R! and its about 20 minutes from me. I will be checking it out after work and if all goes well might be loading it up onto the truck to take it home with me.

(Crossing my fingers)

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Actually, I find the 250 hit to be less frightening than the smaller 2-strokes, this is probably because the 250 has much more bottom end power.
While reading the original post, I was thinking that a late model YZ450F would fit the bill. When the desire for simple maintenance and a low price tage was mentioned, I immediately thought of the YZ250. Now, I am thinking that an old YZ426F might be just the ticket, if you can find one, and if you don't buy CR250. Before buying that 250, make sure it isn't hiding any dirty little secrets, it is an old bike after all. That's not to say that it isn't a good one though.

Dec 18, 2006
Welp I am now the owner of a Honda CR250R... The thing was hard to kick (compression but after sloppy kicks from me it fired right up. GOt to test drive it in the back alley... shifts fine pulls HARD yes harder then the raptor!)

Needs a new front brake lever but he said he is going to try to get one from his buddy.

Got it for 450 bucks! and we talked about places to ride in the area and we will probably go riding in some new spots.

csmutty

Uhhh...
Feb 28, 2006
blindmandesigns said:
Welp I am now the owner of a Honda CR250R... The thing was hard to kick (compression but after sloppy kicks from me it fired right up. GOt to test drive it in the back alley... shifts fine pulls HARD yes harder then the raptor!)

Needs a new front brake lever but he said he is going to try to get one from his buddy.

Got it for 450 bucks! and we talked about places to ride in the area and we will probably go riding in some new spots.
Congrats man. Great price for a running bike. Hope you have loads of fun with it and don't forget to put up some pics! :nod:

Dec 18, 2006
pictures will definitely come of this bike that is only 2 years younger then me! It felt really good riding a fast bike. was what I expected and more.

I must clean it up first before I take pictures. see how nice I can make it look.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Actually, you should get some "before" pics, that way the after shots will be more impressive.
The brake lever isn't going to be that expensive, and you will likely bend or break several. ASV has an e---bay store asvinventions.
Watch that kickstarter, I have a nasty abrasion on my leg from a recent incident where my son got stuck and I fired up my bike to bail him out before I got my boots on. All was good until he was moving again an I got back on, that was when my foot slipped and the lever smashed into my shin. The trick to the start is to findTDC before trying to start the bike. I usually give and easy push until I feel resistance, then let the lever back up for a good hard kick.

Dec 18, 2006
The kick on this bike is on the left hand side of the bike which made me look like a tard trying to start it... all weak and unsure of myself haha. I had to kick my old MX100 quite a few times but I dont think I ever took it to the shin yet.

Too bad I didn't find this bike last week when it was 60 degrees out... now its 40 and raining with what is leftover from the blizzard that hit colorado I believe.

THe guy was awesome and he told me of a few new places to ride in the area. always great to meet another rider.

EDIT: and yes I will get some before and after pics! It needs a good degreasing, I think simplegreen will help out a lot. haha. First things first though, make sure its mechanically sound before I go cleaning it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom