Yet ANOTHER CR450F Question...

U2leight

Nov 25, 2000
( faster than a dinasour?
who cares?how many people race up sand dunes nationwide? )

Beautifully stated! I thought this was "Thumper central" not, "CR 500 Rules!" I can't wait till this debate ends so I can start one on what oil is the best!:scream: Those debates always bring out the best in dirt riders!:)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Originally posted by U2leight
Yes and it rocks in the sand dunes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fastest thing ever!
I believe that was the comment that started the discussion :confused:

Bottom line, enjoy your 450, it's a great bike. Just expect conversations when making statements such as "fastest ever".

kudzukudzu

Sep 2, 2001
What an incredible thread... the thing that kills me is that the vast majority of those posters who seem to be 500 2-stroke fans DON'T HAVE ONE! Admittedly the CR500 can't be had for 2002 (a trend here? hmmmm...), but people seem to vote with their wallets.

2-smoke vs. 4-stroke will probably be academic by 2006 anyway. The good news is: the technology just keeps getting better and better, and we all get to have more fun!

motojunkie

Apr 25, 2001
U2leight - I need to comment on your pulling a guy on a 520 from A-Z. That's just not true, as I was that guy you're referring to....#37 on a 2001 520SX. If you remember, I pulled you on the start, and stayed in front for about a 1/3 of the lap. The truth is YOU are faster, your bike is not. Also, for the record my bike has a totally stock motor, with the only change being a 2 tooth larger sprocket in the rear. I noticed that you had a nice shiny White Brothers R-4 on your CRF. Gee, my bike was geared slower, you had aftermarket exhaust, and I still pulled you on the start. Sounds like that CRF is the best bike ever. I concede that you are the better rider, having "raced the open class for years", but I've only been riding for 3 years. I try real hard, and have fun. I'm not trying to start anything, just defending my honor, and setting the story straight.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Ive owned and or ridden the three bikes in question, on the subject of power,....Starting with the least;

CRF450
KTM520
CR500
But, the fastest one I ever rode was,......
89' KTM500

U2leight

Nov 25, 2000
Motojunkie,
Didn't mean to upset you, you go very fast for only riding 3 years, that was a surprise to me! Didn't expect you to see this post. In all fairness that was my first start on the 450 so I probably have faster starts now, who knows who cares? I ride 520's too and I think the motors are the same, I just had to rile these guys up a little! They were getting to quiet and needed to have something to debate about! Good one for figuring out it was me at Speed World-probably the Destry crash gave it away? ( He just emailed me, and he broke his arm and dislocated his shoulder.)
Anyway, both bikes are cool, who cares! Lets ride. I will probably go to Air Sarival Thurs- might race there sat? Never raced there before.
I used to be 741 on a Honda and I believe you were the first guy I talked to at the track when I moved here from Washington, cause I was curious about your 520, so I know you are a nice guy. Keep up the good riding! See you at the track! Pete Leighton:)

Last edited:

Whoops

Jun 19, 2000
emoney

I put a Pro Circuit T4 spark arrestor on my CRF450. Can't compare power to stock because I haven't ridden the bike with stock exhaust. Last weekend there were a couple of CRF450s with stock exhausts and the PC pipe seems as quite or more quite than stock. Compared to a YZ426 it's nearly silent.

Whoops

emoney

Mar 4, 2001
I think I'm going to try the Big Gun system, I'll let you guys knnow how it goes. I actually rode my 450 for the first time yesterday, I think I'm in love!:)
I like the bottom on the motor, I think I'de like a little more top, but I'm just coming off of a 250, so I may need to adjust my riding style a little for the thumper.
It started on the first kick, I was all smiles, then I stalled it. So I tried starting it in gear, pulled in the clutch and it fired right up. Amazing! It's easier to start than the 500's I used to race.

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
man, at the end of the day, who cares? those twin CR500 engine hill climing monsters chewing methanol will destroy anything mentioned, especially with their steel paddle tyre. Sure, it won't turn, but we are racing up dunes, right?

Mudboy

Dec 3, 1999
Wow--my thread has evolved :D Anyway, it wasn't originally to be about "racing up dunes." It was "riding dunes." I just went for yet another late fall killer ride at the awesome St. Anthony dunes yesterday. I still have sand in the eyelids scraping when I blink, but oh well. Having spent a lot of time duning, I'll throw in my .02 cents: Yes, CR500's will walk away from any bike up a long, steep dune. But duning means a lot more than hill-climbing. Jumping, whooped out sand trails, and and bowl shredding are what I was wanting to know about. 250's handle way better than 500's and 90% of the riders where I go are on 2-stroke 250's (myself included). That being said, I've seen a few guys on 426's tearing it up pretty good. I want to know if the 450 has as much power on tap as the 426 when revving in the sand.

OZ_dirtrider

Jul 2, 2001
[QUOTE

"fastest ever".
[/QUOTE]

Ummmm....l wonder if this includes a rider or just word of mouth??? I have a sneaking suspicion that a rider like RC would be fast on anything?

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Ah yes, it all comes down to TShain:

I have a 98 cr 500 and a crf450... The 500 will walk the dog on the 450 end of story.....

An unbiased report from an owner and rider of both . And by both, I mean current owner & rider of both. How more valid may one get, I ask thee..:D

As an aside, I am deeply disturbed no one has mentioned my bike.
Sniff, sniff.... , I thought I had an open class 2 stroke?! Waaahhhh!!!!:scream:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom