Caraway

Aug 21, 2003
I have been riding dirtbikes for a little more than ten years now. I started with a pw 80 then went to a xr 125 on to an old '85 honda 200cc trials bike and now I have a '95 xr 200. As you can tell, all of my previous bikes were four strokes. Can someone please explain to me the difference between a 2 stroke and a four stroke?

Now on to the bike... I am 18 years and roughly 5'11'' and 145 lbs. I am lookin for a bike that I can ride trails both mountains and open trails as well as I want to take it on the track some. My friends keep tellin me to get a 125 2 stroke. But like I said earlier, I dont know the difference between a two and a four stoke. Thx for any input.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Originally posted by Caraway
I have been riding dirtbikes for a little more than ten years now. I started with a pw 80 then went to a xr 125 on to an old '85 honda 200cc trials bike and now I have a '95 xr 200. As you can tell, all of my previous bikes were four strokes. Can someone please explain to me the difference between a 2 stroke and a four stroke?

Now on to the bike... I am 18 years and roughly 5'11'' and 145 lbs. I am lookin for a bike that I can ride trails both mountains and open trails as well as I want to take it on the track some. My friends keep tellin me to get a 125 2 stroke. But like I said earlier, I dont know the difference between a two and a four stoke. Thx for any input.

First of all, a couple of things. XR 125? And a very dangerous error in the words TRAIL and TRIAL.

For that, I would say that the Kawasaki KDX 200 couldn't be a much better choice. Its a 2-stroke, its super quick, and its perfect for the riding you plan to do. The KDX is also very good on the tracks. From what I hear, its a very easy bike to modify for MX track riding.

Deffinetly look into one! :)

xr100ider

Jan 31, 2003
difference between 2 and 4 strokes.....

two strokes usually have a "hit" in the powerband. four strokes (like yours) usually have a smoother powerband which is much more predictable and easier to control that the 2. four strokes are also able to pull down low while the 2 strokes are usually ridden from mid-top...of course characteristics of the power differ from model to model....say a kdx two-stroke wouldn't have the hit a kx two-stroke would. and a crf450 wouldn't be as smooth as an xr400 or 600. the power will change to accomodate the type of riding the bike was meant to do...

i'm guessing that you'll want something with power, but a smooth, predictable powerband to use in the trails. a kdx 200 or 220 sounds good.

Top Bottom