Your experiences with Castrol A747, R40, Maxima Castor 927 and other oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flummo

Oct 9, 2001
Yes, another thread about two stroke oils. I couldn't find the info I want, maybe it's already here but I cant find it among all other threads about oil...

(If you don't want to read why I'm asking about oils, you can skip this part, and start reading further down.)
This is the situation: I am putting together a 70cc aircooled twostroke engine, and considering that just about all the parts in it are either very expensive or have been extensivly modified I want to make sure it will hold together for as long as possible. Finding the right oil, and using the right amount of oil are obvious things to pay attention to. I can easily get oils from Castrol, Motul and Maxima, and I might be able to get some other oils. I have been running a couple of earlier versions of the engine on Castrol R40 mixed at 20:1 without any unexpected problems (a number of blowups, but 2000+rpm over the standard peak rpm makes that more or less expected ;) ).

Now, back to what I wanted to ask you: What is your experiences with oils like Castrol A747, R40, Maxima Castor 927 and other high performance oils? Can you recommend any other oil?

Dan Milan

Dec 4, 2003
I Have Tried Just About All Of The Oils Out There... The Klotz Super Techni Plate Seems To Be The Cleanest Burning With No Engine Problems To Speak Of!

Feb 17, 2005
I run 927
I hear alot of people say all the time that 927 is dirty, but my powervalves are always well oiled and never carboned. Sure they might be coated with the castor oil but they are well lubed and smooth working. Now the pipe is a different story. It leaves the pipe with carbon build up on the first 3 to 5 inches into the head pipe. I clean my pipe by scrapping that crap out of the pipe every other month or so.

As for engine wear, Nothing beats protection of a castor oil (927), any engine tuner will tell you that, they just claim its gunky and dirty.

As with all oil's... better protection will come with richer ratios. I would ran at least 32:1 if its a low RPM torquer and 26:1 if it will be revving out alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom