GnccRacer21

Feb 12, 2008
I have a 1998 Yz 125 that just had a complete rebuild done and every thing is all stock oem yamaha even the new piston and crank besides it has a new fmf fatty pipe and shorty silencer. I dont know if it just me but it is only topping out at around 65 i had someone following me and i have never had a 125 before should it go faster then that is their something wrong please help me out

Yz250JdT250

Apr 26, 2004
Stock amount of teeth on sprockets? I have the same year bike and did a complete rebuild bottom and top. I usually look for a 7th gear when bombin down the road :bang:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If you are hitting 65 then you are going faster than my YZ-125 will haul my ass around. Like Yz250JdT250 said, I am usually trying to shift to 7th....

I also recommend that you don't hold it at top speed very long, you will fry the engine.

If top speed is important to you then you should probably get a bigger engine bike. You can improve the top speed by going up a tooth on the front sprocket or down a few teeth on the rear but then you may have difficulty climbing the steeper hills.

When I ride my 125 with my buddies (who have 250's) I can generally keep up through the technical stuff, the whoops and even kick their ass on some of the hills. But when we hit the fire/pole line roads I just have to watch their dust disappearing into the distance.

Rod

Yz250JdT250

Apr 26, 2004
my buddy has a crf450 and it always overheats on the tight trails, hehe. long live the smokers! When a 4 stroke is burning oil, its a bad thing !

--no offence intended, I too like the 4 strokes. :)

Top Bottom