yz 250 rear brake all screwed up

gunr

Sep 26, 2004
1995 yz 250 i was attempting to replace the rear brake pads. the caliper has 2 bolts that go through the pads 1 of them is stripped not the threads its the hex/allen head its all rounded out.

i tried to gently compress the piston with a skinny flathead in the hopes that i could slide the whole assembly off the 2 posts. it compressed ok just not far enough,

damn it im pissed. what can i do? is there another way to get the caliper off?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
spray some pb blaster to loosen it up before you attempt to muscle it off
i would put a sacrificial allen in there and jb weld it in there

gunr

Sep 26, 2004
that darn thing is recessed no way to drill it. i just may try that jaming a bigger one in there with some jb weld. good news is i found 2 calipers on **** but if i cant get the old one off they wont be much good. time for a chop saw? maybe.....

zookieman

Jul 7, 2003
WOW! Take a step back and breathe slowly... You could use an EZ-out. Or you could use a die grinder to make a slot for a flat screwdriver. Or use the die grinder to make a pocket for a punch and hit it around with a hammer.

Gazza2005au

Mar 27, 2005
grind the face off flat drill a hole in the center it must be spot on i cant remember what this thing is called think its a tap set once the hole is drilled u screw this special scew into the hole and as its being screwed in the threaded bolt screws out motor cycle shops use these for all snapped and threaded bolts as its a big common problem

gunr

Sep 26, 2004
i tried usimg an ez out today and the situation just got worse and/or confirmed my fear. i need a new caliper. the ez out broke off in the allen head hole. so im still stuck with the deliema how to remove the caliper? cant i remove the rear axle,tire and wheel then the caliper MOUNT will come off?

Top Bottom