YZ-250F 2003 Blown Cylinder Head

Roma

Oct 19, 2003
I was riding the other day and my bike started to sputter on the top end. I thought there might be a leak in the intake boot but that was not the case. The next thing I knew the bike stopped after landing from a jump. I pulled off the Cylinder Head and it is badly damaged. Two of the valves broke off. I never adjusted the valves once nor did I on my 01. I guess I figured when it became hard to start it would be time. It started on the first kick that day. Now I have some questions. Where can I find a cylinder head cheap? Rebuilt? Who has the best deals on them? Can it be repaired? It looks like it's dinged up pretty good. I still like Yamaha's even though this happened. Any advice appreciated.

Roma

Oct 19, 2003
My local dealer said the crank bearing might have started to loosen up and caused the piston to hit the valves. I thought only the 01 had crank issues

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Roma said:
My local dealer said the crank bearing might have started to loosen up and caused the piston to hit the valves. I thought only the 01 had crank issues

It's possible that the main bearings are worn, but they would have to be really worn to allow that degree of piston movement.

Roma said:
I never adjusted the valves once nor did I on my 01. I guess I figured when it became hard to start it would be time.

I'll bet your statement above is probably why it broke a valve.
You can't ignore the service intervals indefintely without paying for it at some point.

It's a 13,500 rpm RACE ENGINE, it's not a John Deere garden tractor.

Roma

Oct 19, 2003
I got spoiled by by 01 but only kept it a year and 1/2. I was hoping to make it until the 07 came out. Now I'm paying the price.

Does anyone repair cylinder heads or sell used ones?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
You can check with Eric Gorr and see if he has any refurbished heads left in stock ericgorr @ hotmail.com

Top Bottom