YZ-250F Clutch problem- can't figure it out

FritoBandito

Sep 18, 2001
I have a 2003 250F that I put all new clutch disks in last year. Now it is acting strange. It has always had poor feel at the lever and the adjustment was always changing. It is hard to explain how it feels, but here goes-- if you have it adjusted with a little slack to start, then as you pull the lever to the point of resistance, you get an easy pull for about an inch, then it gets a little stiffer for the rest of the pull. As I look at the clutch basket, it moves smoothly all the way through the motion. I tried stiffer springs and have looked and felt for any notches on the basket, but the parts all look like new. The clutch will engage suddenly at that last part of the pull where it gets the easiest pull on the lever. I don't have another Yamaha to compare the clutch pull to, so let me know if this is a Yamaha thing or maybe I just need new clutches again.

mxmatt426

Feb 2, 2004
My 250F suffered from clutch drag. Replace your fibers with Barnett's and run a good synthetic oil like Amsoil or Motorex. That cured mine.

Top Bottom