yzgirl9

Apr 24, 2009
Hello. This is my second season riding and upgraded from a TTR-125 to an 07' YZ 85. I know the maintenance and what not on the 2-stroke is quite different from the 4-stroke and just lookin for any tips or suggestions. No manual came with the bike however I am familiar with performing basic routine air filter cleaning, gear oil change, lubing of chain sprocket, etc.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions you may have in helping me progress with my ability to maintain my new toy.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Pick up a factory service manual for your bike, best money ever spent! Might even be able to get one from Yamaha on-line through a owners club or something.

yzgirl9

Apr 24, 2009
Thanks guys, the manual definitely helps for all the know-how, however I understand that the manual mainly refers to a machine that is being raced on a regular basis, since that's what is was built to do...so I doubt following the manual is necessary especially in my case, I do ride often but not very hard..yet. I want to be sure I am doing the necessary maintenance for my style of riding without "overdoing" it. Also, I want to make sure I am mixing my oil/gas at a good ratio..currenty I am running 50:1, I know the manual calls for 30:1 but again that is for a machine that is being raced, and I've heard if your not riding the bike at full throttle on 30:1 theres possibility of fouling a plug, so go leaner. My other concern is that I do not know the history of this bike, it was shipped from the states and I picked it up from an RV dealership and looked absolutley mint, a few minor scratches that's it..but it started first kick and ran amazing and for a measly $2800 I couldn't go wrong for an 07, but I am not even sure if this bike is broken in yet or not, but when I changed the oil after my first couple rides it was very metallicy and brown so i'm not sure...

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
stick with 30:1
this is a very high rev machine, even in a soft ride it needs a proper amount of oil...
leaner means air\fuel ratio and means jetting not oil\fuel ratio...

a little brown and metallic is normal, it is clutch debris... if that bike never had the oil changed is normal to have considerable debris, thats why we have to change it so often.

any chance to see pic?

Top Bottom