Rick James

Aug 31, 2004
Hey people this is my first post. I figured I would post this question on the thumper forum since I have my options narrowed down. I can't decide on what bike to buy so I was hoping you could help me out. First, a little about me. I'm approx. 195-200lbs and right at 6' 1". I'm an amateur roadracer (GSXR-750 and GSXR-1000) former mountain bike downhiller and I use to ride dirt way back in the day (KX80). I plan on riding 50% track and 50% trail maybe a little more trail than dirt since I live closer to the trails. On the other hand I love mixing it up with other riders so I may get hooked on going to the track. The guys at the dealer say go for the WR while my friends who ride say go for the YZ. I won't be doing any night riding and I don't care about the push button start so that won't sell me on the WR. Please help me out!!!!!

KDX_220

Aug 13, 2004
I debated the same thing when looking into a new 250F and decided the YZ was for me. Eventhough I dont ride track, I loe the light and almost 2 stroke feeling of the YZ. There booth greak bikes but remeber its easier to make a motocross bike a trail bike than a trailbike a motocross bike.

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
Rick, First you should have posted this in the forum f"what bike to get"
second, if you do a search in that forum there is a ton of posts on this very debate.
Hope it helps.

Rich

Rick James

Aug 31, 2004
ironworker said:
Rick, First you should have posted this in the forum f"what bike to get"
second, if you do a search in that forum there is a ton of posts on this very debate.
Hope it helps.

Rich

Yeah I know but I wanted to hear it straight from the 4-stroke guys. I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from. I'll do the search and please comment if you have any advice anyway. Thanks.

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
Rick James said:
Did the search and they didn't answer my question. All comments and advice appriciated.

If it were me, I would compare the bike's most important differences, the tranny and the weight. The difference in power, for example, is pretty easily dealt with, but giving your YZ a WR 5 speed or your WR a YZ weight is going to be expensive and time consuming.

WR vs. YZ tranny:

The super low first on the WR is great for trails like Rampart, not so much for going up the hills as for going down. You can cook your rear brake, and also make your clutch fade, riding tight trails on a YZ. You can also forget about hanging w/ a WR or big XR on any road, the YZ has much less top speed than the overdriven 5th of the WR.

Downside: the WR tranny is "gappy" on a MX track.

Weight

The WR is a pig compared to the YZ. I forget what the exact difference is, but it I believe it is nearly 30 lbs., a very noticeable difference. Lose the kickstand, change the (huge and solid steel) can, ditch the battery and you are probably halfway there.

Just my take on the difference, I currently ride a CRF, have owned a few 426s, and only ridden a YZ450 briefly...

...if money were no object, a YZF w/ a WR tranny would be my pick (a CRF seemed like a cheaper alternative). :cool:

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
Hmm, I made the assumption we were talking about the 450 here, sorry if you are seeking comparos based on the 250.

:think:

Rick James

Aug 31, 2004
Hick said:
Hmm, I made the assumption we were talking about the 450 here, sorry if you are seeking comparos based on the 250.

:think:

No, you hit nail on the head. I'll be buying a YZ450 in the near future. Thanks a lot for the info. :cool:

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Good choice man, but then again, you are Rick James beyotch!! You will soon learn that Denver is Mecca for motocross. We had a 4-stroke National in Lakewood this year, and next year we get a full-blown AMA National. I have a hunch that once you get a taste of the local tracks, a guy with your roadracing experience will be headed for a track about 90% of the time. Trails like Rampart Range are fun, but its sketchy opening it up when there is a family of quads around every corner. Trust me, a stock YZF 450 will be awesome on the trails around here. You will need to add a spark arrestor (about $100 for a quick-change jobber) to ride at Rampart Range. I would get a good skid plate to protect that sweeeet motor because they don't call them the Rockies for nothin.

Last edited:

Rick James

Aug 31, 2004
Shig~ It's good to hear from a local guy. Thanks for the info but now you have me ten times more excited. I'm seriously considering trading my GSXR-1000 in for a new YZ450 now. Hopefully I can a helmet that won't mess up my jerri curl. I'm sure I'll see you around.
I'm riiiiiich biiiiiiiatch!!!

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
I would try to sell the GSXR ASAP, while everyone is still riding street bikes. I tried to sell my Ducati at the end of last year, but it was too late. I had to wait until spring to get a good price for it. The local motocross tracks are open year-round, so there is no end to the riding season. You might get snowed-out maybe 2-4 weekends a year, but that's about it. Most trails, on the other hand, are pretty much unridable through the winter. There is a Hare Scramble series that runs through the entire winter too. We've had GNCC (AMA National) Hare Scrambles in Milliken too. A local Pro won it two years ago. I've ridden a local track on every New Year's Day for the past several years. Don't forget about Grand Junction too. The Crusty movies are filled with footage from that year-round wonderland. Get stoked RJ!!

Rick James

Aug 31, 2004
Hey if you know anybody looking for a mint 2001 GSXR 1000 (black/silver) I'll kick you down $100 finders fee. I'd let it go for $6300. Later

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Hick said:
...if money were no object, a YZF w/ a WR tranny would be my pick (a CRF seemed like a cheaper alternative). :cool:

Yea, but it's RED!..........Acerbis does make blue plastic for the CR/CRF... :think:...No, it's still red on the inside! :laugh:

yamahog

Sep 26, 2004
Yep good choice, I ride 80% trails 20% track and i ride a 98' YZ400F and I have no problems at all, smoking WR's all day long, for trails the WRs have just too much added weigh with a headligh and battery but a supper low gearing but there is no mach for the YZFs

Top Bottom