kaosind

Jul 19, 2004
i have been riding for about 10 months and i am getting to the point where i want a faster/more powerful bike. im 21 years old, 5'11", 175 pounds, and riding a 2003 yz125. i live in arizona and mostly ride trails and in the desert. im looking at a 2003 or newer used yz250 or yz250f i plan to continue to ride mostly in the desert and start taking trips to mexico to ride in the sand dunes and maybe go to the track a few times a year. in your guys opinion which bike should i go with (ive never been on a four stroke) but have heard they are more well suited for trail riding. so which one? thanks for the help

JayP0629

Mar 11, 2005
get this....

i have a 2003 yz 250 and that is def what u want... i got the bike i am insanely pleased with it... i love that bike of all the other bike ive ever had... that bike is exellent in the dunes.... i ride trail and dunes ...go for the 250 2stroke..

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
killerbeez 75 said:
KTM 450sx
Was that one of the two choices? If you want to just toss out anything and dunes/sand is involved, why select a weak 425? The CR500AF OWNES the dunes. If you are gonna go, go big.

Back to reality, between the 250F and 250 2-stroke, go with the 2-stroke.

Y

yzvscr,kx,rm,sx

yeah definently go with the 2-stoke. Its good for both trail riding and dunes with the right mods.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

buffalorider

Mar 26, 2005
OK, I'm new to this site so my info may not be worth a damn (yet) I live in Colorado and have only been riding for about 4 years. I am 40 years old and started out with a XR600 ( I weigh 170) riding alot of adobe hills, ditches, upper alpine trails, jumping aspen trees etc. I soon learned I was riding the bike way beyond its means so moved up to a 2002 CRF450 and damn near killed myself. I soon became in love with that bike and stared to race hare scrambles in the B class. I was winning the 4 stroke B class but not the overall B. So...this past December santa brought me a 2005 YZ250. Opposite of you, I have never been on a 2-stroke. After getting about 20 hours on the bike on some of the familiar trails I rode on the CRF, I have to say I love it. HOWEVER.... the four stroke can give you the low end power on nasty up hills if you suddenly come to a stop during your climb. I did notice that I have better have good power all the way up with a 2 stroker and pick the correct lines, or I will usually be going back down for another try. Not exactly sure what you ride as far as terrain, but I have come to dead stops on hill climbs and then popped the clutch to get going again on the CRF and got to the top, try that on a 2 stroke. HOWEVER... the two stroke is so much lighter than my old CRF that I now hope to win the overall B class and move up. Bottom line is if the weight is not there to work you over in a 2 hour race, then you have more energy to rage. I just wish I was 21 again since I missed so many years of riding. :( If your not gonna race, either bike will work for you. Those 250F's are very respectable. HOpe this helps.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom