kenYZ250

Nov 6, 2002
Im new to 2 strokes, so hopefully someone can help me out....

I have a 97 YZ250 and my buddy has an 02 CR250 and his bike seems to have alot more power. (it kinda scares me...really)

Is there newer technology in the 02 CR engine that makes it more powerful or is my 97 YZ250 possibly wore out and maybe needing some work like a top end rebuild to be as powerful?

Any thoughts???
Thanks.

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
It could be a lot of things. I would hazard a guess that it has more to do with the cr being a newer bike and less wear on the top end, reeds, etc. When is the last time the yz had a top end?

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I'm guessing it's a compression difference, especially if the 02 hasn't been riden a whole lot. Another thing may just be wwhat rpm range the bike makes it's power...low end power vs. top end power?!?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
5 years of engine development mulitpied by 5 years of engine wear makes almost an exponetial difference!

a good rebuild will bring back some power, but even if the engine was new i doubt it would keep up with the newer bike in stock trim.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
What do you mean by 'alot more power'? Are you drag racing or what? That could just be a difference in gearing. I'm betting that if you are wondering if you need a new top end, then you DO! ;)

kenYZ250

Nov 6, 2002
Thanks for the answers, guess a top end rebuild would help. My buddies CR is brand new and my bike has some years on it, guess his engine has a little more compression or something.
Cool...thanks for the posts!!!

92cr

May 18, 2002
Back in 97 YZ250's weren't exactly known as powerhouses but could be made alot quicker with a 94 cylinder and a pro-circuit pipe and porting.But if your top end is tired you should definately replace thet first.

Top Bottom