mathd

Oct 11, 2008
Hi all.
I whanted to change the oil in my 1999 YZ 125 as part of my winterizing maintenance.
The shop didnt had the oil i had before so i had to take another brand.

The bike had Ipone synthesis gearbox oil, and i buy Motul 10w-30 non-synthetic oil.

Do this can cause damage to the bike?
Is there special procedure to do when changing from synthetic to no-synthetic oil? i tryed to drain it the most i could.

Now my second issue am having..
I started the bike today(and it hardly started) to let it warm and change the oil.. but like after 1 minute running, the engine started to rev slower/hardly rev. So i closed the choke while giving it a bit of throttle for it not to die(trough it had too much gax/oil) and it died...

After 15 min of cleaning the spark plug and cranking it, it started again but it had hard time revving(running slow and hardly would rev, if i give it some throttle it didnt do better) and died not more thant 20-30 sec later and it didnt start again.

People say it is my spark plug too old(i used the same one all this summer... its the one that was on the bike when i buy it).
So would this be caused by a spark plug?
or may be it is something else? like i let sit the bike 3-4 week before to winterize it, maby the carb's jet clogged?

Also any tip where/how to store the air filter during the winter?

Thanks all, and sorry for the bad spelling/grammar, doing my best.

kaboom1371

Jan 15, 2008
it's ok to just switch the oil. No special procedures.

anytime a bike has a hard time starting first thing I do is put a new plug. I'ts fast and easy to eliminate that. if that doesn't work take the carb off the bike and clean it thoroughly. take your jets out and clean, blow compressed air and cleaner through them look through the hole making sure nothing is in there. put back together and should run. more than likely your pilot jet is clogged.

jdager

Apr 26, 2008
change the spark plug, they cant be cleaned, even if they look clean, they will still cause a bad spark when bad. anytime my bike starts to get a little hard to start, I slap a new plug in and shes good to go

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
Ok thanks for the answer.

I did buy oil this morning but i didnt think about the spark plug, its the first thing i will do the next summer.

I wish i dont have to clean the carb, but i suspect it to be my problem. There was some dirt in the airbox when i buy the bike that i did clean. Also the iron filter/screen on the carb was missing and still is.
I will see next summer, if the bike dont start/run i will clean the carb.

GarbatyA4

Sep 4, 2008
bonjour,

It's too cold up there my friend. Whats the temperature now?

2-strokes have to be jetted to propper weather conditions. Big difference between +23deg c and -5degc

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
Allo,

-5 to 5 °C was the temp that day
I guess your right, its what i was talking with my mecanic friend.
The spark plug + the cold temp would be exactly why it wont start or run for longer. if no then to check the carb.

I hate winter anymore lol :(

GarbatyA4

Sep 4, 2008
mathd said:
Allo,

-5 to 5 °C was the temp that day
I guess your right, its what i was talking with my mecanic friend.
The spark plug + the cold temp would be exactly why it wont start or run for longer. if no then to check the carb.

I hate winter anymore lol :(

I hate winter also. If you want, read the jetting links (sticky) on the 2-stroke discussion thread. maybe just using the chart you can get a close enough set of jets and needle and make your bike run in the winter?

Put some spikes in the tires and away you go. :)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I'm not sure what you mean by the iron filter/screen in the carb, if you are referring to the backfire screen in the airbox then a YZ125 would not have one.

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
Yeah, i think about keeping it outside for the next winter.
Just there is alot of snow here, i dont know if it will ride well.

For the carb, i had lot of part with the bike when i buy it, including another carb.
This one do have the screen filter and on my manual it do display one.

http://ymenvom.nl/manuals/M5MV30_1.PDF
Page: 230
top of the page called filter.

Top Bottom