YZ250Fone

Nov 28, 2004
Alright i know you guys have probably had tons of these post but i just need to make sure i am doing this right.

When i pull the decompression lever, i slowly kick down on the kick start to midway. Then i let go of the lever, and kick start it. Most of the time the bike will not start and sometimes backfire.
Is there anything i am doing wrong?
Could you please list steps for me to take if I am doing it wrong?
Thanks

B

biglou

Don't kick it down so far to start with. Kick it slowly until it stops, pull the decomp lever, kick it only a small amount, release the decomp and bring the kickstarter all the way to the top, then kick it like a rented mule. Don't forget the choke if she's cold. And don't touch the throttle. Ever...

B

biglou

ok, I knew someone would call me on that! Yeah, one or two quick blips of the throttle when it's really cold out (below 40f or so). After that, no touch until she lights off. :)

For the record, not that it applies here, but it took me a couple rides to figure out that the 450 with the auto decomp likes short, quick, stabbing kicks where the 426 with manual decomp liked long, full kick-thru kicks. The 450 dont like that for some reason.

YZ250Fone

Nov 28, 2004
No i have not, i know some about bikes but not enough for me to do that.

I will take the bike to my local shop and see if they can help me with any problems on it.

So you say after you did some valve adjustment it was much easier to kick over?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
He means no more resistance in the kickstart, but it fires up quicker now.

yz250frdr

Dec 9, 2004
i have a 2001 yz250f and i pull down the decomp. lever and kick it almost all the way down and push in the hot start and then kick the bike and it starts on the first kick. it depends on how cold it is though if it is below 70 degrees the hotstart wont do anything. when its below 70 i pull the choke out pull the decomp. lever kick it almost all the way down and let it come all the way back up and then kick it and it starts up all the time 1st kick.

YZ250Fone

Nov 28, 2004
thats what i am doing

Yeah either i fully flooded it or just need new plug/ jetting

my jetting is for warmer temps and lower altitudes and then i moved and its colder and higher altitudes

Top Bottom