wannayz

Aug 27, 2002
I know it may sound silly, (I've been doing my own mechanic work for 25 yrs.), BUTTTTTTTTTTTT, after removing the gas tank, I find a spark plug cap that's weird. It rotates but doesn't seem to llift off easily. I don't want to force anything off although my guess is that I need a firm pull straight upward. It's also kind of a tight area to work in making it more difficult.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
Yep, it comes right off. The top of the plug is a couple inches down there and where the frame is located it can make it a little more difficult. My buddy uses a socket with a pivoting extension to get it out.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
:) That's exactly how I change YZ400guy's plugs :thumb:

Phillip

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
the plug wire should pop right up. the only thing that I found around here that can actually loosen the spark plug was the goofy stamped steel spark plug wrench that came with my wr 400. All of my sockets where to thick to actually fit down in the hole of the valve cover.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by jmics19067
the only thing that I found around here that can actually loosen the spark plug was the goofy stamped steel spark plug wrench that came with my wr 400. All of my sockets where to thick to actually fit down in the hole of the valve cover.

:think: That's why I grind some of mine down on the bench grinder :) Belive me, when it comes to fooling around with the "Pot Metal" stuff that you get in the factory tool kit, 3.00 bucks for a ground down socket and wrench ain't bad.

Phillip

TFR

Oct 25, 2000
Be very careful. Many of them get dirt way down there and if you pull out the plug it will fall in. Make sure you blow it out with compressed air and be sure it is clean. JIM-2fastracing

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
That's why I grind some of mine down on the bench grinder Belive me, when it comes to fooling around with the "Pot Metal"
If the that goofy thing that they give me didnt work I would have done that. But it worked so I didn't :yeehaw:

Be very careful. Many of them get dirt way down there and if you pull out the plug it will fall in. Make sure you blow it out with compressed air and be sure it is clean

excellent point!!!!!!!

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by TFR
Be very careful. Many of them get dirt way down there and if you pull out the plug it will fall in. Make sure you blow it out with compressed air and be sure it is clean. JIM-2fastracing

Can't fault this advice, just add to it,just add to it, "Before you pull the plug" ;)

Phillip

wannayz

Aug 27, 2002
Had no problem getting it out once I was sure I wouldn't be pulling the wrong things. I did have trouble getting a socket down there but I managed with a stock socket I had lying around and a universal jont extension above that. What a screwy system. Plus, torqueing that plug back down was scary as hell 'cause it kept wanting to turn more and if you strip way down there, that's BAD news. So I tightened some and then some more and then just stopped. I'd rather blow the plug out while riding than strip that cylinder head.

Top Bottom