Dragonfly

May 8, 2002
Yesterday I took out my new to me 01 KDX 220R along with a friend who rides a 01 KDX 200. This was my first ride on the bike. It has a strong punch in every gear but then flatens off half way through every gear. When I rode my friends 200 the power just keeps going and going through the whole gear and every gear. His bike is bone stock. Mine has a Gnarly wood pipe and a Turbine core II silencer for mods. My question...... is the flat spots normal in every gear for the 220 or how can I get the smooth power that won't stop like in the 200????

Thanks,

Rich

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I haven't ridden a 220. It's generally considered to be quite flat on the top. That's generally the reason riders of the 220 (if they want any top end) use the fmf -30. I'm guessing that by 'woods' you mean the -35?

While it's almost certain your bike can be made to run better, it won't ever run like the 200. The port timing is different between the two bikes. Yeah, you can change the smaller carb you have to what the 200 uses...it still won't run like the 200.

Eddiet

Nov 29, 2001
I have an 01 220 and had the same problem, just not enough power on top for enduros and harescrambles. It took a few changes, but I have all the power I need to compete with the 200's and 250's in the woods now.
1. Toss the air box lid
2. Boyseen reeds
3. FMF Rev pipe and turbine core
4. 35 MM Air Stryker Carb

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Plese give more detail on the 35mm air stryker carb.
Is it similar to the 200's carb?
thanks
Joe

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
oh yes!! and please detail the jetting for the larger carb.
again,,,thanks

Eddiet

Nov 29, 2001
The 200 has a Keihen PWK35 carb. The PWK35 air stryker was designed for motcross bikes and to provide quicker throttle response. My 220 was running great with the 33 carb, but lacked the topend speed. Not wanting to bore my 33 carb like the RB mod does, yet wanting the performance gain, my dealer got me the 35 air stryker for $150. The 35 carb came with a 4.5 slide and a D series needle, this setup was extremely rich on the 220 and ran terrible. I decided to use the #5 slide with the stock KAW needle , 1173 I think, straight out of the 33 carb, and insert these into the 35 air stryker carb. After some jetting work, 158 main, 48 pilot, clip in the middle, this bike rips now. With 13/47 sprockets, there was no lose of bottom end but plenty gain on the top to be competitive. Its as quick as the 200's and only gives up a little topend to the 250's. I rode it in a 75 mile enduro this weekend and it did great. This was the mod that really made me happy with my 220.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
Eddiet, when you went with the new carb did you loose any fuel mileage? I've thought about boring my carb or changing it, but don't want to have to stop for fuel during a race. Dragonfly, changing the carb will probably have the biggest effect. But I did gain some top end on my 220 (has the woods pipe) by adding the delta force II reed cage.

Eddiet

Nov 29, 2001
I don't think the new carb hurt my fuel milage. It was 32 all woods miles to the first gas stop this weekend. I stayed on the gas all they way hard as it would go. I never needed the reserve but I was low on fuel. It would have been about the same level with the 33 carb. The new power is fantastic though, my scores were better the last two races, I picked up a second and fourth place finish in my class. There was an article in the SETRA magazine a while back on hopping up the KDX 200's. On this guys race bike, he had replaced the PWK 35 with a PWK 35 Air Stryker. His testing showed improved fuel milage, better throttle response, and more power with the air stryker carb. It works for me.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom